Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Yesterday was a shock. Lots of football to be played still and like someone said we’ve been pretty inconsistent since the draw against Sheffield Utd but we’re still fourth.

Ten cup finals left in the league, one match at a time and we’ll see where it takes us. I’m still confident and hopeful.

Can't be quite sure with the new format, but it seems like it will be easier to get out of the groups in next year's CL:

• Places 1-8 (in one 'Swiss' format league of all 36 teams) qualify for the last 16
  • Places 9-24 go into a play-off round
  • Only places 25-36 are knocked out immediately

And that's without considering the additional revenue, the boost to a UEFA coefficient (which helps with seeding in future tournaments we might qualify for), and just the achievement of finally playing in the Champions League.

Not like this needed saying, but of course we want to qualify and we will be ready for it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

What is the sorting criteria on this table? It's not title odds, it could be UCL spots but that's inconclusive. Do they, like many of our fans it seems, also not realise that we are actually still 4th?

6 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

What is the sorting criteria on this table? It's not title odds, it could be UCL spots but that's inconclusive. Do they, like many of our fans it seems, also not realise that we are actually still 4th?

I think it's the projected average final position, although they don't make it very clear. Chelsea are a few spots higher, Palace are a few spots lower, etc.

Suggests that CL is still very achievable, regardless.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Thanks 1

Some massive games in the run in that we wouldn't normally have thought were important.

Firstly this week, as well as beating Ajax ourselves, we could really do with Arsenal beating Porto and West Ham beating Freiberg - those two are behind in their ties but if they could pull out wins it'd go a long way to securing that 5th Champions league place.

Chelsea against Man Utd on 4th April is also huge - we could really do with Chelsea winning that one, if they do, and Utd lose to Arsenal and Liverpool, they can only get a maximum of 21 more points which at the very, very worst would leave us needing 13 from our remaining games.

I think it's possible we might go into mid-April on the back of four straight Premier league losses - our run is really, really tough - it'd be nice if we do to still hold some sort of advantage - one win from West Ham, Wolves or City would give us 58 points from 31 games - if United lose to Chelsea and Liverpool and also get just 3 points from their next three, they'll have 50 from 31 and that eight point lead might be enough to see us home.

The European results are going to be huge - if Arsenal and West Ham go out, then it'll be about battling Spurs for 4th and I think that'll be tough.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

if Arsenal and West Ham go out, then it'll be about battling Spurs for 4th and I think that'll be tough.

It depends.

If Freiburg then go onto win the whole thing then sure, but with us and Liverpool in strong positions, and City too, it should be enough.

We could do with PSV beating Dortmund too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Some massive games in the run in that we wouldn't normally have thought were important.

Firstly this week, as well as beating Ajax ourselves, we could really do with Arsenal beating Porto and West Ham beating Freiberg - those two are behind in their ties but if they could pull out wins it'd go a long way to securing that 5th Champions league place.

Chelsea against Man Utd on 4th April is also huge - we could really do with Chelsea winning that one, if they do, and Utd lose to Arsenal and Liverpool, they can only get a maximum of 21 more points which at the very, very worst would leave us needing 13 from our remaining games.

I think it's possible we might go into mid-April on the back of four straight Premier league losses - our run is really, really tough - it'd be nice if we do to still hold some sort of advantage - one win from West Ham, Wolves or City would give us 58 points from 31 games - if United lose to Chelsea and Liverpool and also get just 3 points from their next three, they'll have 50 from 31 and that eight point lead might be enough to see us home.

The European results are going to be huge - if Arsenal and West Ham go out, then it'll be about battling Spurs for 4th and I think that'll be tough.

Yup spot on. We really need to get 4 points as a minimum out of these next 3 games imo. Brentford Chelsea and Liverpool in their next 3 games. They could conceivably get only 1 or 2 points out of those games. 

We are all Arsenal and West Ham fans Tuesday and Thursday. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

If Freiburg then go onto win the whole thing then sure, but with us and Liverpool in strong positions, and City too, it should be enough.

With the points for a win and the points for advancement in each round, we could do with every result available I think. Liverpool and City are (sickeningly) a saving grace on this one.

So with 10 games remaining we are in 4th. I’m going to split those 10 three categories:

Expected loss so anything is a bonus

City (a), Arsenal (a), Liverpool (h)

Tough games but we should expect to get something

West Ham (a), Wolves (h), Chelsea (h), Brighton (a)

Must win

Brentford (h), Bournemouth (h), Palace (a)

I think if we win 4-5 of those game we should still finish in top 5 which is a massive achievement. 

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I still love the idea of us in a Conference league semi-final or final, knowing that a win will put us into the Champions league through our league placing.

For the final it would be too much to take. If we could be in that position in the semi, what a reward that would be already for finishing at least as runner up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, omariqy said:

The more German teams that go out the better regardless of us, City and Liverpool being favourites. You never know in tournament football what will happen. Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen are likely to go quite far in their respective competitions. Therefore, we really need Freiburg and Dortmund to exit and make sure we have at least 1 or 2 more teams than that left who are picking up points. 

This week’s games to look out for

UCL

Arsenal v Porto (0-1) - If Arsenal win then that is 0.375 to our points total 

Dortumund v PSV (1-1) - you would expect Dortmund to win that and go through - 0.429 for their total

UEL

West Ham v Freiburg (0-1) - as per Arsenal - 0.375

Bayer Leverkusen v Qarabag (2-2) - as per Dortmund - 0.429

Brighton v Roma (0-4) - Brighton are out but if they can win the tie at least then it will be 0.25 for our total

Liverpool v Sparta Prague (5-1) - as per the above 0.375

UECL

Aston Villa v Ajax (0-0) - as per the above 0.375

That would leave the following 

Germany - 16.358

England - 16.375

Don't you get bonus points for round progression? Or is that included in the 0.375 and 0.429?

7 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Don't you get bonus points for round progression? Or is that included in the 0.375 and 0.429?

Yup included. So 2 points for a win i.e. 0.25 for England and 1 point for progression i.e. 0.125.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, omariqy said:

The more German teams that go out the better regardless of us, City and Liverpool being favourites. You never know in tournament football what will happen. Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen are likely to go quite far in their respective competitions. Therefore, we really need Freiburg and Dortmund to exit and make sure we have at least 1 or 2 more teams than that left who are picking up points. 

UCL

Dortumund v PSV (1-1) - you would expect Dortmund to win that and go through - 0.429 for their total

UEL

Brighton v Roma (0-4) - Brighton are out but if they can win the tie at least then it will be 0.25 for our total

UECL

Germany - 16.358

England - 16.375

Great insight, cheers. 

32 minutes ago, omariqy said:

UCL

UEL

UECL

Germany - 16.358

England - 16.375

Great news! At least we continue to have the ability to win and secure 5th for ourselves, as well as completely cocking it up. 

All this info is useful to know, but in reality it looks like we're just stretched too far this season.  we've been hanging on for a few weeks now with those injuries biting and tired legs slowly bringing our performance down.  Sunday just hammered home how below par we are now and with mcginn out for 3 games I can't see us even finishing 5th now.  I think it just shows how champs league is for those teams with a solid squad and not just a good first xi.

Edited by tezzaleed

8 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

All this info is useful to know, but in reality it looks like we're just stretched too far this season.  we've been hanging on for a few weeks now with those injuries biting and tired legs slowly bringing our performance down.  Sunday just hammered home how below par we are now and with mcginn out for 3 games I can't see us even finishing 5th now.  I think it just shows how champs league is for those teams with a solid squad and not just a good first xi.

How’d Newcastle manage it last season then?