Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Looking at the remaining fixtures, I’m a bit gutted that Spurs last 2 fixtures are against almost certainly already relegated Sheffield United and Burnley. 

If Spurs are 4th after that Liverpool game then I don't think we can have much complaints. Newcastle (A), Man City (H), Arsenal (H), Liverpool(A) is a horrific run of fixtures to have in a row and is where we need to make sure we are above them if we want to finish top 4. They will be playing title challengers three games on the bounce and also have Chelsea(A) to be rescheduled somewhere. 

• Like 2

We will rotate as much as we can for the first leg to save everything for spurs. Then have to play a strong team in the second leg to get the win. 

But then we play West Ham away so something will have to give unless konsa and Carlos are back by then. 

19 days until the Spurs game. If the Konsa 3-4 week timeline is accurate (and not Villa being their usual untrustworthy selves when it come to these things), then he could be back for that 🫰

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

We will rotate as much as we can for the first leg to save everything for spurs. Then have to play a strong team in the second leg to get the win. 

But then we play West Ham away so something will have to give unless konsa and Carlos are back by then. 

Alright Martin - how's things?

22 hours ago, AshVilla said:

We still have a 1% chance of winning the title?

about the same chance as clearing the national debt.🙄

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It would be amazing, but it's not vital at all

I'm not sure, Forest and Luton are our easiest games of the season now. Beating teams in 15th and 17th doesn't feel 'amazing' to me....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jayEm said:

I'm not sure, Forest and Luton are our easiest games of the season now. Beating teams in 15th and 17th doesn't feel 'amazing' to me....

The amazing comes from the position it would put us in, rather than the results themselves.

On paper none of those three fixtures (I'm including Fulham) are amazing wins. But given the slump we were in and how many people were panicking about us getting relegated (yes I'm exaggerating),  then it would be amazing to have string 3 wins together given the context

Plus it would leave us needing only around 12-15 points from our remaining 11 games to secure fifth place (in all probability)

We'd be in an amazing position for the run in. And on the flip side if we, for example, won one and drew one then we'd still be in a very good position for the run in. So that's why i don't consider it to be vital

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, jayEm said:

Easiest games from about now are midtable teams fighting for very little.  Teams battling relegation can be problematic for any teams because they do pop up with surprise wins.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

No 5th place CL football then?

That's just an "as of now" standing.

If City, Liverpool, and us go deep - then it tilts into 5th place CL football.

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

No 5th place CL football then?

Feel like the media have gone a bit over the top with the reporting of the UEFA rankings table today. It's still widely expected England will be in the top 2, can't help that all the remaining English clubs topped their group so don't play this play off round.