Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

This is the problem for me, when people keep saying no need for the meltdown. Yes we may have done our best in years, but what a huge missed opportunity to do better.

If we just won that game and hadn't drawn to the shit, i.e Sheffield, Everton, we would be top of the league now. Not a big ask really considering our previous form.

This 100%. We have had injuries but other teams have coped. We've capitulated without pau

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, villan95 said:

We can still finish 4th but we need to find our form fast. How we respond next game is crucial. If we don't beat Sheff Utd this season we don't deserve top 4.

I think that's the crux.

People were moaning we couldn't do anything v Sheffield at VP as they just low blocked us to death, they'll be far more attacking at Bramall Lane.

We simply have to win that game as to not beat the 20th team home or away in a six week period simply isn't good enough for any team with CL ambitions.

• Like 1

I composed this after losing to Newcastle on the opening day

Most could have only imagined we would be in the position we're in now in their wildest dreams

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Thy missed a lot of chances and we were hanging on for a lot of the game. We did a number on them but I don't really think we played well. 

I'd say our last great performance over 90 minutes was Man City where it was one of the best performances I've ever seen from us. It seems like the team are living off that performance because we haven't got close to that level since. Which is sad because after that game I was ultra confident we were gonna get top 4, win a trophy and have a special season. 

Fair enough. The season isn't over yet though. We have seen what we are capable of and this is a rough spell. Sometimes all it takes is one game moment to get the mojo back. I wouldn't rule us out already.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Spurs will win their next two so we've created unnecessary problems from a very comfortable mid season position.

Pressure on in Sheffield, we need to win that and win it reasonably well as there are loads of doubts in the players minds now.

They only need to beat Brentford tomorrow by 2 and they will drop us to 5th. Then unfortunately the big ange jizzing starts and the media will be proved right all along.

• Like 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

They only need to beat Brentford tomorrow by 2 and they will drop us to 5th. Then unfortunately the big ange jizzing starts and the media will be proved right all along.

Or they lose and panic themselves. 

Just now, foreveryoung said:

I thought Everton would give them issues but looking at the state of Everton's team, Spurs midfield will walk all over that.

Not good. Really we messed up at Old Trafford as Spurs lost the next night at Brighton.

Now they have their first choice defence back and Maddison so they'll only get stronger from this point which isn't great news.

10 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Fair enough. The season isn't over yet though. We have seen what we are capable of and this is a rough spell. Sometimes all it takes is one game moment to get the mojo back. I wouldn't rule us out already.

Man. United is that game.

That Boxing day defeat has scarred us a fair bit. We look very vulnerable at the back and are conceding 2-3 regularly which simply isn't sustainable to get top 4.

Man. United are average/poor but they can also expose us like Newcastle did tonight given they've done it in three of the four games under UE.

So we need a good performance in that one and a win just to get things up and running at VP as it has gone flat.

• Like 1

To summarise my thoughts:

We are in a bit of a slump but we will turn it around (hopefully soon)

We are still in a good position to get CL football.

We may only need mid table form to even get CL football if 5th is in play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Man. United is that game.

That Boxing day defeat has scarred us a fair bit. We look very vulnerable at the back and are conceding 2-3 regularly which simply isn't sustainable to get top 4.

Man. United are average/poor but they can also expose us like Newcastle did tonight given they've done it in three of the four games under UE.

So we need a good performance in that one and a win just to get things up and running at VP as it has gone flat.

Yeah I agree. That second half melted our confidence. We need a real **** heroic moment to galvanize the group again.

• Like 2

We're in a strong position, our form recent form has not been great since the city game, but we've picked up points whilst being in a bit of a slump performance wise.

A dip in form was always on the cards, and every side has them. Get Pau Torres and Bailey back in the side and win our next 2 league games and we're right back on track.

5th and conference league win would be a fantastic achievement and I believe we will do at least that.

• Like 1

We are not even sure 5th is going to be Champions League football. We gotta as good as, have the sun, moon and stars align. Lose 4th and I doubt we are getting CL, although would most even want it?

Are we allowed to say that 5th would be a good finish now without being called negative by the usual suspects?

The shit dished out by some of our delusional fanbase to those of us who are realistic in our expectations, has been off the scale all season.

And that was just for daring to say we aren't winning the league!

Being realistic isn't for everyone, which is fine, but certain posters need to stop calling those who aren't delusional, negative.

We were never getting top 3, that was fantasy land, and Spurs are most certainly favourites for 4th (even saying that would get you shot down on here by some!), so 5th, in my view is our ceiling and I still think we can do it.

But bloody hell we miss Torres and if we don't sort out from out soon, we may well be getting caught by the likes of Chelsea, Man United and Newcastle and end up back in the Conference League next season. 

Something needs to change and fast. 

We need to turn a corner to have any chance of 5th. And I still think we will.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

We had a slump in February 2023 and Unai snapped us out of it. Really could use a win at the weekend. 

Always makes me laugh when he talks about those results. The two 4-2s in a row really got under his skin.

This is worse because we've actually gone down a few rungs from our pinnacle against City. It's like doing that broke us.

Looks simple to me. We need to speed it up in possession. We were fairly slow at times anyway. Recently we're glacial.

5th is a great season. Doesn't feel it when we're 2nd at Christmas.

Calling people “delusional” for suggesting the club will finish 4th is equally as bad as those calling people “negative” for believing the club will finish 5th.

Two glass houses. Plenty of stones have been thrown at both. 

Add to that the all encompassing “I told ya so” glass house that surrounds both, once again waiting to be broken.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Always makes me laugh when he talks about those results. The two 4-2s in a row really got under his skin.

This is worse because we've actually gone down a few rungs from our pinnacle against City. It's like doing that broke us.

Looks simple to me. We need to speed it up in possession. We were fairly slow at times anyway. Recently we're glacial.

5th is a great season. Doesn't feel it when we're 2nd at Christmas.

Have we been able to put out that eleven since that game/Arsenal win?