Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

If our dip in form has such terrible results as drawing vs Chelsea away then I'm going to be honest I hope we sack him and go back to ginger bollocks and playing 8 at the back at the bridge 

We're bumbling along at the moment but let's not be spoiled by what came before, we're doing fine still 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

We've lost 1 in our last 15. We drew away against a Chelsea who have been unbeaten at home since we went there back in September, and we were very unlucky not to score *at least* one goal imo.

And our recent games have seen us marred with injuries to players such as Pau, Tielemans, Bailey, Ramsey and Digne (and the suspension of Kamara). And yet we're still getting draws and wins despite all that.

I genuinely have no idea why there are some are getting agitated. Actually daft.

Its because of the Man City game. It changed expectations of what we could do. Where the reality was that City were set up for us to do that.  Played into our hands. The Arsenal game was probably a better barometer of where we were. A tough narrow win against a team that outplayed us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

If our dip in form has such terrible results as drawing vs Chelsea away then I'm going to be honest I hope we sack him and go back to ginger bollocks and playing 8 at the back at the bridge 

We're bumbling along at the moment but let's not be spoiled by what came before, we're doing fine still 

We are not doing fine, that is an enormous stretch. 

Ollie one goal in nine. 

One win in 5 all comps

No goals scored last two

Failed to beat sheff utd, man u after being two up, scraped past burnley, failed to beat everton. 

We are not in form as we were when we beat City and Arsenal and its plain to see. The injuries do not help.

However, if this is what out of form looks like -  then we really have come such a long way.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Emery has done an amazing job. 

I'm not saying he needs to go or anything so drastic, hope he's here long long term. 

Our performances over the last 5/6 games have been very poor. We are in a slump, that is fact

This is all opinion, not fact. They've been mixed. Certainly below where they were in the games before that, but "very poor" and "in a slump" is an overstatement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

This is all opinion, not fact. They've been mixed. Certainly below where they were in the games before that, but "very poor" and "in a slump" is an overstatement.

We are certainly in a slump IMO. We should be happy too that this is what a slump now looks like rather than what we have become accustomed to. We are still a functioning unit able to get results.

32 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

We are certainly in a slump IMO. We should be happy too that this is what a slump now looks like rather than what we have become accustomed to. We are still a functioning unit able to get results.

2W-2D-1L. 

The winner’s slump!

It's fair to say that we haven't been playing as well as we have done, can't deny that.

But imo that's a result of missing the likes of Pau, Kamara and Tielemans, all of whom clearly make us much, much better as a team, and some bad luck infront of goal. Would much prefer injuries/unlucky finishing to a structural or tactical deficiency, which clearly isn't the case. And in spite of all that, were still objectively in a very good run of form!

Forget a slump, these games show that we're becoming a team that can still get results even when it's missing SEVERAL key players and when the luck isn't really going in our favour. It's incredible. And a testament to the work done by Emery that we've gotten to this point. He's ridiculous.

Edited by wishywashy

Of course it's about Emery he's the bloody manager I defend him with the following words without mentioning his name

Some would do well to read and understand this brilliant post in the Race for Champions League thread, it genuinely does put things into perspective. This so called slump we're on is nothing unsual all teams have runs like the one we're on now and most of the league have to endure much worse, the only way to avoid a run like the one now is to have a season like Liverpoool or Man City have when they're at their very best. It's not even as if we're on that bad of run anyway, one defeat in eleven in the league. Tonight's result was a good one, I would have taken that beforehand no doubt, as thought Chelsea were due a win against us

🥛🐈‍⬛

45 minutes ago, useless said:

Of course it's about Emery he's the bloody manager I defend him with the following words without mentioning his name

Some would do well to read and understand this brilliant post in the Race for Champions League thread, it genuinely does put things into perspective. This so called slump we're on is nothing unsual all teams have runs like the one we're on now and most of the league have to endure much worse, the only way to avoid a run like the one now is to have a season like Liverpoool or Man City have when they're at their very best. It's not even as if we're on that bad of run anyway, one defeat in eleven in the league. Tonight's result was a good one, I would have taken that beforehand no doubt, as thought Chelsea were due a win against us

🥛🐈‍⬛

Good post. I'm someone who has experienced the ups and downs of being  a Villa fan for much longer than I care to remember, and I have to say that I am in the best place that I  have ever been as a Villa supporter. Thanks to NSWE and Unai Emery and the recently assembled crew for giving me such enthusiastic hope.

We are nowhere near the finished article which is what makes this point in our journey so exciting. I hope we don't turn into stereotypical entitled fans who think that the club owes us a result, because we're not there yet and are still trying to establish ourselves as a genuine contender.

Five years ago we were only a couple of weeks away from folding as a football club. NSWE saved our arses and despite the Gerrard hiccup we are in an immensely improved position as a club. 

I know Chelsea have been rubbish this season, but to believe that we should go to Stamford Bridge and kick their butt is arrogant. We're not there yet and I hope even when we become the 'complete team' that NSWE intend, we will remain humble enough to support our team whether they win lose or draw (which has always been my philosophy).

We may be struggling to replicate the goal tallies of our early season, but we're in the top four on merit, and whatever happens in the rest of the season we should be proud,

• Like 2

We are in a bit of a slump of form last 6 games or so, but every team does. Even when Man City win the title they normally go through a patch of underperformance, finding it hard to break teams down. But what makes them elite is even in this form they scrape 1-0 wins, get last minute goals and at least don’t lose the game. 

We are starting to show this. Normally a slump in form means getting beat 2-3 games in a row, a big loss, a drop off in work rate. But that is what makes Emery an elite, he is managing us through this slump. 1 loss to Utd, but still grinding out 3pts or at least come away with a draw in the other games.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JuanCrablo24 said:

We are in a bit of a slump of form last 6 games or so, but every team does. Even when Man City win the title they normally go through a patch of underperformance, finding it hard to break teams down. But what makes them elite is even in this form they scrape 1-0 wins, get last minute goals and at least don’t lose the game. 

We are starting to show this. Normally a slump in form means getting beat 2-3 games in a row, a big loss, a drop off in work rate. But that is what makes Emery an elite, he is managing us through this slump. 1 loss to Utd, but still grinding out 3pts or at least come away with a draw in the other games.

I came on here to post this, but you’ve expressed it better than I could’ve done. Our play is turgid at times atm and we’re clearly in a slump in confidence (injuries, etc), but we remain damned hard to beat.

Emery has changed how we’re playing - deeper line, greater willingness for goalkeeper taking pressure off by punting the ball long - to mitigate the effects of the slump. 

I hope things click for the players again, naturally, but I’m confident that Emery will know it before we do and change his tactics accordingly. 

Something to note in our last 7 games we have had the higher xG than our opposition. Last time we lost the xG battle was Arsenal at VP. 

Consistently having higher xG for than xG against results in consistent points over time. We may not be getting the results we want but other than that freak collapse to United we're in it every game to win. We've lost 1 game in our last 12 and that was a bit of a freak game losing when 2--0 up. 

I think we are a resilient team and if we're not getting as many wins as we want that's how seasons go, all teams have quiet periods and the best teams come out of them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Something to note in our last 7 games we have had the higher xG than our opposition. Last time we lost the xG battle was Arsenal at VP. 

Consistently having higher xG for than xG against results in consistent points over time. We may not be getting the results we want but other than that freak collapse to United we're in it every game to win. We've lost 1 game in our last 12 and that was a bit of a freak game losing when 2--0 up. 

I think we are a resilient team and if we're not getting as many wins as we want that's how seasons go, all teams have quiet periods and the best teams come out of them. 

We’re resilient but we’ve been poor in the last 8 or so matches. Really poor in fact. We won’t finish in the top 5 playing like we are now. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

We’re resilient but we’ve been poor in the last 8 or so matches. Really poor in fact. We won’t finish in the top 5 playing like we are now. 

I agree performances need to improve but 6 of our last 8 games have been away from home. We know our home form is significantly better than our away form. As frustrating as it was against Sheffield and Burnley we still got 4 points and in latter it was more cheap goals being the issue rather than scoring goals.

Inevitable we would go through a patch where performances dipped - that’s the nature of football. The arrogance of some though and short memories of where we recently were is staggering.