Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

58 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I get it nothing is given. After arsenal, I'm listening to our world #1 keeper. We are in the title fight. I refuse to talk about 5th. 

Thats kool just dont turn on them if we finish 5th. Still be a great season for us

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats kool just dont turn on them if we finish 5th. Still be a great season for us

Not if it doesn’t mean champions league. We need to get it now. Seriously **** the FA cup and Conference. This has to be the goal. 

Would never turn on anyone if we didn’t make it but it will still hurt like hell.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

13 points behind us as it stands but still alot can happen when there is 5 places up for grabs

Chelsea are actually still pretty useful for us. Have all of Man. United, Newcastle, Spurs to play at home second half of the season so them picking up is in our interests.

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I missed all the great times in early 90s before the oil money showed up.  5th would be absolutely amazing. 

Top 4 is all up to us. We play well, no major injuries, it's ours. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not if it doesn’t mean champions league. We need to get it now. Seriously **** the FA cup and Conference. This has to be the goal. 

Would never turn on anyone if we didn’t make it but it will still hurt like hell.

Id rather a trophy any day

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

In the future I want a trophy but this season, Top 4, will benefit us so much more long term and gives us more chance of trophies in the future. We need to build that revenue, stop the big guys pulling further away, attract better players so we are in the mix in the future.

It amazes me how many fans don’t get this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, useless said:

What lamentable dirge people come out with, we won't be ****** for years if we don't reach the champions league, nothing of the sort, I saw no one at the start of the season say such things, now suddenly because it looks like it could happen, it will be a disaster if it does not? A thousand humbugs to that. Also reaching Champions League doesn't guarantee a trophy ask Tottenham Hotspur, and winning a trophy is the ultimate prize, people talk about the benefits that come with finishing top four, but the whole point of those benefits is to help us to become a better team with the aim of winning things, so if you're offered a trophy in the first place you take it.

Ok maybe not **** for years but we will have to sell some key players because of FFP. I’d rather us be able to afford to keep them. Nobody said this at the start of the season because nobody expected us to be in the running for top 4.  Now we are in the mix we really need to do whatever we can to achieve it. In my opinion of course, I get why fans would prefer a trophy though. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

In the future I want a trophy but this season, Top 4, will benefit us so much more long term and gives us more chance of trophies in the future. We need to build that revenue, stop the big guys pulling further away, attract better players so we are in the mix in the future.

No gurantee it will lead to a trophy though getting top 4 this season.

This new CL format as well sucks 

Before I start I have a caveat.. I’ve been drinking since 4pm.. so here’s my theory.. every team we’ve schooled at home this season will be psychologically scarred so we will take advantage of that in the second half of the season and win more away games.. every team we’ve struggled against away from home will come to Villa Park thinking they’ve got the measure of us so underestimating how good we are at home, and lose.. upshot of all this is… we win the League!! Thank you and good night..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think you’re all overplaying getting 4th tbh. We don’t get it and then simply crack into the big boys forever. So long as we have Emery then sure we could be up there for a while but for a club like ours it wouldn’t take much to come crashing back down. We can’t simply Chelsea or Man City it like back in the day. See: many of the teams that have finished top four and gone onto nothing (most recent examples being Newcastle and Leicester but then you can look back at Leeds and Blackburn etc.)

I personally rank top 4 against cup win in terms of enjoyment. Champions league would be incredibly fun…but Ive never seen Villa lift a trophy. I want that more than anything. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

The real head scratcher will be if we are in the title race come March…. Do we chuck both the cups to try to win the league? 🥴

That's ridiculous fan thinking not professional sports player and management attitude. Do you think they talk like this on Pool and Manure  forums etc. JFC can we lose this little old poor wee us club posts anytime soon?

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

That's ridiculous fan thinking not professional sports player and management attitude. Do you think they talk like this on Pool and Manure  forums etc. JFC can we lose this little old poor wee us club posts anytime soon?

The irony of your post is that if the title (god forbid) or 4th place is truly on the line he’ll be absolutely professional and will prioritize the league games over the fa cup or the Europa. 

What are these new superstar signings Newcastle are having for playing in the champions league?

Or Leicester when they qualified?

I think the impact of it is very overrated and we have Wenger to thank for that who have brainwashed fans not just Arsenal fans into thinking top 4 is like a trophy.

I'll take an FA cup over top 4 any day of the week but preferably we can do both.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, useless said:

What lamentable dirge people come out with, we won't be ****** for years if we don't reach the champions league, nothing of the sort, I saw no one at the start of the season say such things, now suddenly because it looks like it could happen, it will be a disaster if it does not? A thousand humbugs to that. Also reaching Champions League doesn't guarantee a trophy ask Tottenham Hotspur, and winning a trophy is the ultimate prize, people talk about the benefits that come with finishing top four, but the whole point of those benefits is to help us to become a better team with the aim of winning things, so if you're offered a trophy in the first place you take it.

Get off your high horse, there's an argument for both, of course we want a trophy, but top 4 should be the ultimate goal IMO. We wouldn't be f*cked if we didn't get it, under these owners and this manager I'd like to think we'll be challenging for Europe every year for the foreseeable future, but making the top 4 is likely to make us realise our dreams as fans quicker than winning a cup is. Having said that, I think we can both make top 4 and win the Europa Conference League this year.

Mentioning Spurs is a bit silly really. Yes they may not have won any trophies since they first made the Champions League in 2010, but they've had a pretty good time of it. I'd have much rather we had been them in the last 13 years, than having to endure several years of relegation battles and three years in the Championship. 

Our dreams of fans should be to win a cup, that's the whole logical point of my brilliant argument, yes Champions League brings benefits, but the whole benefit of those benefits for fans is that they will help us win more trophies, so if offfered a trophy in the first place you take that as that is the ultimate aim, the pinnacle sporting achievement of a football team.

And no mentioning Spurs isn't silly, I didn't say anything about them not having a better time of it than us over the last ten or so years, so not sure what you're taking about there, I only used them as an example of qualifying for Champions League not being a guarantee of winning trophies.

If we were to win the FA Cup, I doubt anyone would swap it for top four, it's easy to say would prefer top four now as that looks more likely, so there's a need for some to frame it as the most fantastic outcome, both outcomes will be great achievements to be proud of and remember, but if we were to the FA Cup it would be our greatest victory since winning the European Cup,and if we were to win Europa Conference it would be our greatest achievement since winning the League Cup.

I'm not sure why people keep confabulating on about subject anyway, we don't actually have a choice, all this talk is shadows of things that might be not that will bee.

• Like 2