Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

At half time as it stands our away form means this simply won't happen..6th or 7th is the hope

So now at full time we have won 3 of 7 aways. We also took a point at Wolves so equalled Newcastle and bettered Spurs with their results at Molineux.

Honestly I think our away form is overblown by the pessimists. You don't have to win 12-13 away to finish top 4 so we're still on track as something like 8 wins might be enough.

We've also got Newcastle and Liverpool out of the way already while someone like Man. United has both of them away in the next month.

Right up to the new year is a huge period for us now. Not just to stay 4th but actually establish decent point gaps over a few rivals. Today's win also means we can withstand dropped points at home.

Getting 40 points by halfway stage would be a huge statement and I think it's very realistic. Beat Bournemouth, Sheffield United and Burnley and we only need another win from the other games so actually could do better than that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

How are united on 24 points

wtf

Way to look at it they're winning all these games (and today was ridiculous how they got to 3-0 with goal of the season and the overturned penalty while Everton missed endless chances) yet they're still 4 points off us with inferior GD. They have Newcastle and Liverpool away in their next four games so that will balance out us playing Man. City and Arsenal.

I also fancy us to get a similar result today when we go to Old Trafford. Very confident on that one this season.

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

How are united on 24 points

wtf

There was a stat on sky sports a couple of weeks ago: United were in the bottom 3 in terms of time spent in winning positions this season. The amount of points they’ve got from injury time winners this season is unreal.

We would have been five points clear of fifth place with 28 points at this stage last season.

Interestingly Newcastle have just one point less now than they had this time last season, but are four places further down the league, and Man Utd who are seen as having a bad season actually have one point more than they did after thirteen games last season, Spurs have the same amount of points as at this stage last season.

We were on twelve points, joint eighteenth with Southampton, we actually had the same goal difference as them too, so we were only outside the relegation zone by goals scored

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Unless i am being thick the title is still in our own hands. If we win the next 3 we will be top of the league.  Long time since we could say that  eh.....

I think Liverpool can prevent that. I would imagine there is more than a good chance they win 3 out of 3 all by decent margins

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I’d love it if we can get top at least once this season. Top 5 is a very realistic possibility now. 

Yeah I’d take just once, ideally after the 38th game ;)

In all seriousness, I think in order for us to be top even just briefly, we’d need to beat Bournemouth, and pick up four points from Citeh and Arsenal.

Just doing that wouldn’t be enough, but it would keep the possibility alive. Should Citeh beat us I would imagine that’s that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Considering we have Arsenal and City coming off I'm not sure for how long we can stay top 4.

We are more than capable of getting something against them at VP. Hell I'm going to say we get 4 points.

11 hours ago, useless said:

We would have been five points clear of fifth place with 28 points at this stage last season.

Interestingly Newcastle have just one point less now than they had this time last season, but are four places further down the league, and Man Utd who are seen as having a bad season actually have one point more than they did after thirteen games last season, Spurs have the same amount of points as at this stage last season.

We were on twelve points, joint eighteenth with Southampton, we actually had the same goal difference as them too, so we were only outside the relegation zone by goals scored

It's an amazing story, really incredible. Emery's influence over us and our form. Has any manager been able to turn any club around so convincingly?