Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

6 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

If you look at our form for 12 months we have to be in that conversation.  A bit like the calendar year 1998. If 1998 was a season we would have won the league.

Who was our manager that year?  Where did we finish in the two seasons?

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

We’re currently predicted to be in next season CL 😂

I think this is wrong sadly... if the leagues finished now Turkey and Belgium leagues would be getting the extra place  and 5th in our league would be going to the Europa League.

Go to below and sort by 23/24

https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/country/

Italy and Germany also ahead of us at the moment. Long way to go though...

14 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Who was our manager that year?  Where did we finish in the two seasons?

What are you disagreeing with me on?

I am just saying we have had a phenomenal calendar year and have to be in the conversation for a title. We were very much in the conversation in 98/99 until our small squad caught up with us around February 99 

1 minute ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I am just saying we have had a phenomenal calendar year and have to be in the conversation for a title. We were very much in the conversation in 98/99 until our small squad caught up with us around February 99 

Could just be genuinely asking. I'd also like to know!

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

I'd take a group with AC Milan, Atletico Madrid and Bayern Munich if you offered it to me now.

Won't work like that next season. Each team plays one home and one away match against a team from each of the four pots. So 8 games in total in the league phase.

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I think this is wrong sadly... if the leagues finished now Turkey and Belgium leagues would be getting the extra place  and 5th in our league would be going to the Europa League.

Go to below and sort by 23/24

https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/country/

Italy and Germany also ahead of us at the moment. Long way to go though...

I think the predictions factor the likely performance of teams in this years' European competitions into the calculations, and England are predicted to finish in the top 2 spots.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Eh? I just don’t know what was happening that season so I’d love to know who our manager was 25 years ago. Just nice to know some Villa history.

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Eh? I just don’t know what was happening that season so I’d love to know who our manager was 25 years ago. Just nice to know some Villa history.

It was John Gregory, and still our longest unbeaten run to start a season I believe. It came after we sold Yorke to Utd. “If I had a gun, I’d have shot him”. 

I might be wrong and my seasons might be getting mixed up… I was a young whippersnapper and just starting to get interested in football. Dion Dublin and Julian Joachim were my gods. But I think that was it. 

• Thanks 1

John Gregory was the manager. Villa were joint top after 22 games, behind first place Chelsea on goal difference. Think we were on 43 points.

Then we died. Really died. We were knocked out of the FA cup by Fulham - they were a league one side at the time, albeit a good one - and that carried over for the rest of the season.

We ended the season in sixth with 55 points. Twelve points from the final 16 games. Utter collapse. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, jamesbuchanan said:

I think the predictions factor the likely performance of teams in this years' European competitions into the calculations, and England are predicted to finish in the top 2 spots.

Thanks, 

2 corrections of me in 2 posts. Nice work 🤣.

8 minutes ago, jamesbuchanan said:

Sorry :D I just pop up once or twice a season to correct someone and disappear again. You were the unlucky one this time.

I actually feel privileged. You weren't joking, previous post in Nov 2022 😮

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

John Gregory was the manager. Villa were joint top after 22 games, behind first place Chelsea on goal difference. Think we were on 43 points.

Then we died. Really died. We were knocked out of the FA cup by Fulham - they were a league one side at the time, albeit a good one - and that carried over for the rest of the season.

We ended the season in sixth with 55 points. Twelve points from the final 16 games. Utter collapse. 

Losing Bosnich in the October meant our brilliant defensive record went to pot. Oakes had done well covering for him in previous two seasons but couldn't handle being keeper for top of table team and we started conceding 2s and 3s on regular basis home and away which wasn't sustainable.

Exactly like now if god forbid Emi was out for a couple of months and Olsen had to come in....

Also lost Ugo with eye injury when Shearer deliberately kicked around Feb time. Dublin also had fitness issues so he wasn't the same as he first joined.

You can always split the Gregory era in two parts. First up from when he joined to the cup final, a genuine rollercoaster of incredible unbeaten runs and long winless runs and some memorable games I can still recall to this day, losing 4-2 at home to Liverpool when it could've easily ended 8-8 and also 3-2 cup win over Leeds which is still in top 5 great games I've attended (Carbone hat trick and Merson spilling blood setting up the winner).

Then kick off of the cup final and the last 18 months were as dull as anything, can only recall about 5 matches from 2000/01 season it was that boring.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Losing Bosnich in the October meant our brilliant defensive record went to pot. Oakes had done well covering for him in previous two seasons but couldn't handle being keeper for top of table team and we started conceding 2s and 3s on regular basis home and away which wasn't sustainable.

Exactly like now if god forbid Emi was out for a couple of months and Olsen had to come in....

Also lost Ugo with eye injury when Shearer deliberately kicked around Feb time. Dublin also had fitness issues so he wasn't the same as he first joined.

You can always split the Gregory era in two parts. First up from when he joined to the cup final, a genuine rollercoaster of incredible unbeaten runs and long winless runs and some memorable games I can still recall to this day, losing 4-2 at home to Liverpool when it could've easily ended 8-8 and also 3-2 cup win over Leeds which is still in top 5 great games I've attended (Carbone hat trick and Merson spilling blood setting up the winner).

Then kick off of the cup final and the last 18 months were as dull as anything, can only recall about 5 matches from 2000/01 season it was that boring.

Who would win in a game between the Gregory Villa team at its prime vs this Current Emery Villa team?

Edited by Pongo Waring

15 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Who would win in a game between the Gregory Villa team at its prime vs this Current Emery Villa team?

Emery.

Gregory team was very hardworking and he always says in the podcasts he does looking back on his time here he called them "the grinders" due to wearing teams out in second half. Not a tactic that worked in the infamous cup final though which was the gameplan.

Of course football was different in 90s, endless crosses and balls played into the corner.

Now a Gregory Villa team and O'Neill Villa team in its primes, that would be a very close match indeed as they were both built in similar ways.

• Like 1