Chris Heck - President of Business Operations

sne

I can't stand that guy. Blocked him channel from my youtube feed. Liked him a bit at the start.

On 24/01/2024 at 00:28, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Speaking alot of sense... But will surely get pelters from some...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I can't stand that guy. Blocked him channel from my youtube feed. Liked him a bit at the start.

I thought you were talking about Chris Heck and was going to say well done to you for blocking him.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

I thought you were talking about Chris Heck and was going to say well done to you for blocking him.

Actually love Chris Heck so far. Think the fan groups are mostly just mouth pieces for older season ticket holders and personally think what's best for the club is mostly not aligned with what's best for them. Glad Heck is doing what I think is right for the club. 

So Heck is big thumbs up from me so far. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have been thinking about this, football or Villa more specifically, is escapism and there has been a serious feel good factor around Villa which has been truly intoxicating!

It feels like Heck's interventions have dampened the feel good factor, and we're avoidable if he communicated better, and he needs to learn from it.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Confused 1

On 24/01/2024 at 11:28, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Speaking alot of sense... But will surely get pelters from some...

Problem with this video is that it makes sense - to everyone outside Birmingham, that is.

I've never been to villa park (and likely never will) and I'd hate to see the ground moved - but can see the sense in doing it.

I've never been affiliated with the round badge (despite being Gen X) since I only started following Villa since the early 90's (thanks, Bozza!)

But when you talk about a world-wide audience - they are in exactly the same position as me. If your remit is to tap into that market, you will probably end up making decisions that hurt the locals.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Problem with this video is that it makes sense - to everyone outside Birmingham, that is.

I've never been to villa park (and likely never will) and I'd hate to see the ground moved - but can see the sense in doing it.

I've never been affiliated with the round badge (despite being Gen X) since I only started following Villa since the early 90's (thanks, Bozza!)

But when you talk about a world-wide audience - they are in exactly the same position as me. If your remit is to tap into that market, you will probably end up making decisions that hurt the locals.

I don't like the guy but watched the video and he does make a lot of key points I agree with. As stated many times I really like Heck so far.

In terms of leaving Villa Park I just don't see it happening as the cost is just too high. Interest rates are really high and the return on it wouldn't be enough. Unlike other clubs we can't rebuild Villa Park as there is no alternative location for us to play. Can't charge London prices in Birmingham and the ancillary things that make Spurs so much money. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

I used to be dead against the idea of moving Villa Park, I think this was partly due to the Victorian style and uniqueness of the stadium along with my Grandparents being from Aston during the war years. But if we're honest only a small portion of Aston locals support Villa and attend games for whatever reason. 

Maybe it's wise to consider a move to somewhere with better transport links/parking/accessibility etc?

I am an international fan. In 1993 I had never been to England, let alone Villa Park, but I knew I lobed that distinctive old stadium any time I saw it on TV and it became like a Mecca I wanted to visit one day, having already got my parents to fork out om several new kits between 1993 and 1999.

Our stadium is part of the package. It is all part of the deal if you are an international fan looking to get hooked on a club.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's an absolute key in that statement - Heck isn't focused on people in Birmingham - there's a very limited amount of extra income that can be generated by people that go to games - the focus is on growing the wider fanbase, the people that won't ever go to games but will spend money watching us, buying Villa 'stuff' and so on - there are potentially tens of millions of those people out there - that's the focus. It's why there's this oddly growing gap between the opinions of fans that go to games and those that don't as to how well Heck is doing.

For season ticket holders, being able to afford to go and enjoying it when you're there are things that have almost as much influence as whether or not the team itself is successful - some of my favourite times following the club were in our last season in the Championship and I'd take watching us play in the Europa league from my seat in the ground over having to watch us in the Champions League on my sofa because I can't afford to go.

The club don't care about that, the club have to be successful, have to obey the doctrine of the times and the mantra of this league  - growth - and in the Friedmanesque nightmare in which we all live - the market says that the idea of community and of clubs being at the heart of a place and being a part of a community are anathema.

The adjustment that Heck is forcing us to accept is that 25,000 season ticket holders give him a lot less opportunity for growth than 200 million Indonesians or a US tyre manufacturer and that the club is going to prioritise the areas where it believes growth is most possible.

I think he can make us successful, he can promote the growth our owners want - I'm not sure those of us that sit in Villa Park are necessarily going to enjoy that ride.

I was speaking to my mate, we spend about £50/£60  in the Yew Tree between us and the kids every game and I would imagine there are plenty like us in all the various pubs. If they did this warehouse thing we would happily use the place and I am sure many others would (is it meant to hold 3000)  Has Heck scrapped this as well? 

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I was speaking to my mate, we spend about £50/£60  in the Yew Tree between us and the kids every game and I would imagine there are plenty like us in all the various pubs. If they did this warehouse thing we would happily use the place and I am sure many others would (is it meant to hold 3000)  Has Heck scrapped this as well? 

Nope, the warehouse is still definitely going ahead and looks like a really good facility - some of the things he's making sure get completed are really good.

Hopefully the station redevelopment presses ahead and we get the punch-through at the bottom of Station Road - that would be a game-changer in terms of opening up the new Academy building as a matchday facility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Nope, the warehouse is still definitely going ahead and looks like a really good facility - some of the things he's making sure get completed are really good.

Hopefully the station redevelopment presses ahead and we get the punch-through at the bottom of Station Road - that would be a game-changer in terms of opening up the new Academy building as a matchday facility.

OBE, is there a FAB meeting in a couple of days time? Are you going? Is there an agenda yet?

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

OBE, is there a FAB meeting in a couple of days time? Are you going? Is there an agenda yet?

There's an informal meeting due next week, but as of yet no time has been arranged for it - at those there isn't usually a presented agenda and Mr Heck doesn't usually attend.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's an absolute key in that statement - Heck isn't focused on people in Birmingham - there's a very limited amount of extra income that can be generated by people that go to games - the focus is on growing the wider fanbase, the people that won't ever go to games but will spend money watching us, buying Villa 'stuff' and so on - there are potentially tens of millions of those people out there - that's the focus. It's why there's this oddly growing gap between the opinions of fans that go to games and those that don't as to how well Heck is doing.

For season ticket holders, being able to afford to go and enjoying it when you're there are things that have almost as much influence as whether or not the team itself is successful - some of my favourite times following the club were in our last season in the Championship and I'd take watching us play in the Europa league from my seat in the ground over having to watch us in the Champions League on my sofa because I can't afford to go.

The club don't care about that, the club have to be successful, have to obey the doctrine of the times and the mantra of this league  - growth - and in the Friedmanesque nightmare in which we all live - the market says that the idea of community and of clubs being at the heart of a place and being a part of a community are anathema.

The adjustment that Heck is forcing us to accept is that 25,000 season ticket holders give him a lot less opportunity for growth than 200 million Indonesians or a US tyre manufacturer and that the club is going to prioritise the areas where it believes growth is most possible.

I think he can make us successful, he can promote the growth our owners want - I'm not sure those of us that sit in Villa Park are necessarily going to enjoy that ride.

Very good post, also to add to that. If by raising ticket prices a current season ticket holder is priced out of renewing but another person who has waited for years to get a season ticket now can. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Whilst I don’t disagree and my heart wants us to stay at Villa Park in B6 I can see the arguments for a move too. Since moving, with my family, 450 miles away, I’ve sadly given up my season ticket which I had for thousands of years and so I don’t see as many live games as I used to but still miss the creaky old place every matchday but into every life and all that, I put the love of family before my first love on this occasion, so perhaps the move from Villa Park wouldn’t be such a big thing for me. Perhaps if we’re thinking in practicable terms , I’d consider the NEC to have plenty of merits, I thought they should have built the new Wembley there, but expecting the FA to do anything remotely sensible was always a long shot, what do others think? 

Please keep this thread for opinions on or about our CEO. If you want to discuss the ground, or tickets or revenue, there are threads for that. Ta.

19 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

It feels like Heck's interventions have dampened the feel good factor, and we're avoidable if he communicated better, and he needs to learn from it.

I genuinely respect your passionate, viewpoints, and you as a poster Captain.

However, on this view ( You're not the only poster I've seen say this) I feel these opinions go on the assumption that the wider fanbase feel downbeat.

It's bizarre to me because I feel nothing of the sort.

Saw someone on Facebook moaning about transfer activity and the " feel good factor " being dampened a bit and I was perplexed.

We've never been in a better position than we are now, in my decades of supporting the club.

Everyone isn't going to be happy about certain things, but if we can't be happy with the general trajectory of the club right now, we don't deserve nice things.

I especially have to again stress that we aren't even clear on the broader plans for the club yet, but my faith in the owners tells me that we are always in for even better than we initially expected.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Thanks JV.

I just don't want to see us miss the opportunity, we have a unique opportunity and I feel we aren't going to capitalise. 

We are fortunate that we don't have to do an Everton or a Spurs. We already have a great location and compared to their spend £100m to take the stadium to the Twenty first century was not bad. 

My comment is rooted in the fact we had big plans to look forward to and he just cancelled them (see what people who attended FAB said, they got the impression it was cancelled, not just paused).

Edit, more succinctly,  it reminds me too much of the Lerner era when we talked big but bottled it. Heck's December interview is the first time since 2018 I felt that feeling.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

Â