"The Terrace View" - Upper Holte Lounge

OutByEaster?

Sickening parochial bulls***. We won't go anywhere as a club if we're turning on other fans and verbally abusing children trying to enjoy a day out. Disgusting.

The club wants and needs to grow in order to compete. If there's even a slight chance this causes trouble, there is significant and / or increasing push back on these initiatives, or they stop being used because people feel victimised, then I think we'll be out of Aston in no time; our big, new posh stadium will have all the facilities and transport you could hope for.

Hoping this settles down quickly. 

21 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

For me to pay out the thick end of £700 odd quid for 19 home games a season, the minimum I would expect is clean facilities, quick turn around for food and drink and clean bogs. Yesterday the Holte End upper was a mess, no clean up after the builders and still queues for food and drink (I don't bother at half time).

To not have this you have to pay another £500, I am sorry that is not reasonable and adds to the frustrations of fans.

This is just it to me. A few years back when it was more like half the price I was willing to put up with it. But now, I'm paying a premium price and it's not on that I have to get splashed with 100 other blokes' piss that hasn't drained from the urinals. And that's after queuing up for five minutes in a smoky stinky toilet. Obviously it's not beyond our ability to build half-decent facilities, but our £700 isn't enough to have a splash-free piss. Extra £500 if you want dry legs.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I am a "normal" ST holder in the upper Holte and I never heard or witnessed any chanting yesterday. For fellow Villa fans to do that to others is awful, and no way do I support that behaviour, but i wonder if it is just frustration at what has been done this Summer in implementing the TV and hopefully it was just a one off.

There will always be options in life to pay more to upgrade, eg a front row ticket at a gig, business class air travel, 5 star hotels, or upgrade to the TV at the Holte etc and that's entirely a personal choice.

Essentially I don't disagree with that principle, but what has happened in the upper holte is that you have either had to downgrade for less space (plus a 15% price rise) or pay a lot more money for a new facility built on a previous public space.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, tomav84 said:

so it sounds like any berating of the terrace view fans was possibly driven by the state of the rest of the holte upper (not that i'm in any way condoning it). it needed a lick of paint and some toilets fixing anyway, but if the state of it has somehow gotten worse in addition to being much more crowded, it's bound to have left a sour taste in mouths.

sounds like it's going to be a hot topic of discussion at the next FCG anyway but i can see them scrapping the whole thing...the fan reaction is just going to be too strong to ignore. they'll just make all holte upper season tickets more expensive. it'll still piss people off, but everyone will have access to nicer facilities.

No chance them doing that. Terrace view will definitely stay. 

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I am a "normal" ST holder in the upper Holte and I never heard or witnessed any chanting yesterday. For fellow Villa fans to do that to others is awful, and no way do I support that behaviour, but i wonder if it is just frustration at what has been done this Summer in implementing the TV and hopefully it was just a one off.

There will always be options in life to pay more to upgrade, eg a front row ticket at a gig, business class air travel, 5 star hotels, or upgrade to the TV at the Holte etc and that's entirely a personal choice.

For me to pay out the thick end of £700 odd quid for 19 home games a season, the minimum I would expect is clean facilities, quick turn around for food and drink and clean bogs. Yesterday the Holte End upper was a mess, no clean up after the builders and still queues for food and drink (I don't bother at half time).

To not have this you have to pay another £500, I am sorry that is not reasonable and adds to the frustrations of fans.

The Holte End in my view is not the place for "gentrification", it has been marketed like it is like a "Virgin" experience you can buy. I get the fact that the club want to make money out of us, but in reality how many TV tickets were available when they went on sale?, and take away 2 free drinks and a free program I don't think they are making a massive amount of money at this poor thought out venture.

Two things, perhaps it will be scrapped next season or maybe the money raised by the TV can pay for a manager to sort out and improve the facilities that the rest of us non TV members have to suffer.

I couldn’t agree more especially on your pointy about gentrification. Wrong place for it completely and smacks at a club that doesn’t really understand its self particularly its own fans. If the sim is to make money out of customers then whilist thst is understandable and necessary we need to find a way of remaining connected to our true and most important fans. As a former Holte Ender until I moved with my family too far away to attend many games I’m saddened by what is happening to the upper Holte. Stupid idea from conception particularly regarding location. Trying to bill it as experience as if it was still the halcyon days of the 70/80s is so out of touch and ridiculous, I’d expect it to be something you may find in Manchester or London but never at Villa Park. Whoever came up with the idea should be sacked if they are still at the club!? They clearly have no idea what the true Holte End experience is or ever was. They certainly weren’t there when the division fence was ripped out of the ground all those years ago!  You’ll never take The Holte End. This is cultural vandalism by stealth!!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I know this is probably a bit over dramatic but it’s the most unwelcome I’ve ever felt walking in to Villa Park.

I'd echo this.

The price hikes on absolutely everything really leave a sour taste. My usual routine would be to have a pint before the game, maybe one at half time and then definitely a few in the Holte Suite. I don't think I can justify £30+ on five pints, especially when I can find a pub where it's about £2 less per pint. All the chat about making the ground a better place for before & after just doesn't work with the prices that they are. The club is getting my season ticket money and nothing else any more, they're just taking the piss. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Whoever came up with the idea should be sacked if they are still at the club!? They clearly have no idea what the true Holte End experience is or ever was.

I highly doubt they are.

I wonder what other catastrophes await to be discovered around Villa Park now that they are no longer with us.

It was also interesting to read a comment from another poster back in the thread that there was issues in the Trinity and getting drinks and service at HT was shockingly poor service. This was like that in 2010 when I last sat in the Trinity. Alarming to learn that the same shit is still going on 13 years later!

On 16/08/2023 at 17:25, sidcow said:

The always used to bring shutters down before the game starts.   I imagine this will stay the same.  I don't think you're supposed to watch the game from inside.

Can you confirm the flavour of the vol au vents please Sid and if there are sandwiches, preferably cucumber cut into little triangles with no crust? Thanks. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Can you confirm the flavour of the vol au vents please Sid and if there are sandwiches, preferably cucumber cut into little triangles with no crust? Thanks. 

Who would have thought, triangular cucumber sandwiches with no crusts on the Holte End...!

Was the tea served in a China cup with a saucer?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Milfner said:

I'd echo this.

The price hikes on absolutely everything really leave a sour taste. My usual routine would be to have a pint before the game, maybe one at half time and then definitely a few in the Holte Suite. I don't think I can justify £30+ on five pints, especially when I can find a pub where it's about £2 less per pint. All the chat about making the ground a better place for before & after just doesn't work with the prices that they are. The club is getting my season ticket money and nothing else any more, they're just taking the piss. 

No idea of every day reality for most normal fans. Sad times indeed. When all those years ago the club was in crisis and slid into the third division it remained in touch with its most important stakeholders, the fans. Proven by huge crowds both home and away. Those fans are being driven awaybyymuddkes and misguided thinking about what fans are and indeed want/need. Tragically this is happening at a time when we have lots to be post and optimistic about. Come on Villa don’t blow it now! We’re Aston Villa not a concept created in a board room by people with no idea about football or it’s real fans particularly Villa fans. Wake up and smell the coffee before it’s too late. We’re not cool and trendy we’re from Birmingham the industrial midlands where we bash steel and talk proper. Let’s not try to be what we’re not. It never works!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I wish the club had put more effort into getting the North stand redeveloped in time, as in 2023 had previously announced, instead of dicking about with the Holte.

I'm in the Upper North. It's dire as we know. Can't wait for it to be bulldozed. Guess that's not happening until the train station issues are sorted.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I'm in the Upper North. It's dire as we know. Can't wait for it to be bulldozed. Guess that's not happening until the train station issues are sorted.

They've announced demolition after the Foo Fighters gig - there's no dependency on the train station development.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It doesn't have any of the other nice shiny things but waiting ages for a beer is all but eliminated in the Lower Holte now with the tap and pay bar.

I think most people were expecting the same sort of things to be put into the Upper Holte - but it doesn't look like any improvements at all have taken place in the Upper Holte End concourses.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m not having a dig at you, but a not packed Holte End is hardly a Holte End experience is it? The games gone!

A few years ago a mate of mine got given corporate tickets for a match for him and some mates. He gratefully accepted them and we all went along and gave our Holte End season tickets to some other mates. it was a night game against Sunderland who were in a relegation battle with us. Di Canio had gobbed off some rubbish about Villa park being easy to come to, so that added further spice to the occasion. Theytook the lead but we stuffed them 6-1. It was a good match and we enjoyed the grub but I really wanted to be on the Holte as did the other lads who’d come to be “Spoiled too!”

• Like 2

Â