Vacuum cleaners

mjmooney

Sorry, I know this might belong in The Boring Thread. :)

Any advice on buying a vacuum cleaner? Our old (corded) Dyson has been pretty reliable, but after many years is reaching the end. We're tempted to get a cordless (Shark, etc.), for ease of use on the stairs, but I get the impression that they are less effective than the mains powered models. 

There is also a huge range of choice of manufacturers and prices. Is it worth paying more? What say the VT hoovering massive? 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sorry, I know this might belong in The Boring Thread. :)

Any advice on buying a vacuum cleaner? Our old (corded) Dyson has been pretty reliable, but after many years is reaching the end. We're tempted to get a cordless (Shark, etc.), for ease of use on the stairs, but I get the impression that they are less effective than the mains powered models. 

There is also a huge range of choice of manufacturers and prices. Is it worth paying more? What say the VT hoovering massive? 

Can't believe this forum has come to this ;)

But 2 years ago we bough the cordless Dyson V11.

It's light, sucks more than Chelsea do, and the battery is good (enough for a 3 bed house on a medium setting). My in laws have the latest model, but I don't see the need to spend more just to get the latest one.

And the fact you can just pick it up off the charger and take it anywhere without bothering with the cord is great.

It's really handy, especially if you have kids or pets. Small mess, just pick it up, sucks the crap out of anything.

Highly recommend it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I had the cordless Dyson but got fed up with it. The battery got worse, I'd go to grab it and we'd forgot to charge it. It wasn't great on thick carpet. 

Had a shark vacuum since. It's a plug in one but I love it. Has different settings for carpet and hard floor. You can take the suction bit off and it's really easy to walk around with. 

The one negative, is the suction is so good on carpet, it's not something that glides easily. I'd read about it before buying and it's true but it's not a major deal for me.

Highly recommend.

• Thanks 1

We had a cordless Dyson too and it was great for a few months but then declined very quickly. Would never buy one again.

Since then we picked up a cordless Shark and it's incredible. So so so much better than our old Dyson. Would highly recommend Shark based on my experience so far.

We also have a iRobot i7+ which goes around once a day which is also very good. Need it cos we have a couple of hairy doggos. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Thanks 1

Think we had a vacuum chat on the technology subforum a while ago but it was more about robovacs. 
Ive got a corded shark but it had a detachable handle so you can do stairs and hard to reach corners. Best vacuum I’ve ever had. 
I also have an iRobot which, like @PieFacE, I send round the place a couple of times a week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Another vote for Dyson being garbage. Over priced janky plastic, manufactured and sold by an absolute rocket polisher.

Added detail.

• Like 3

Which? Currently has the Shark NZ860UKT as the best upright, and the Miele Blizzard CX1 Cat & Dog Powerline 900W as the best cylinder.

They're both north of £400.

Don't remember what we had before our Miele, which isn't the one above? It's lasted ages.

• Thanks 1

I have a Dyson, but am considering a Gtech hand held cleaner.

No idea how good they, they seem to be well received. He’s a local bloke (although Baggies, I think), plus on a personal note, when my daughter was an infant - toddler age, for whatever reason she used to be utterly transfixed when he appeared on the screen advertising his vacuums. Every time, just stopped what she was doing/saying and stared up mesmerised by the gently exasperated dulcet tones of “…and there’s GOT to be a better way to do the stairs!”.

Never did that with James Dyson.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Xann said:

Which? Currently has the Shark NZ860UKT as the best upright, and the Miele Blizzard CX1 Cat & Dog Powerline 900W as the best cylinder.

They're both north of £400.

Don't remember what we had before our Miele, which isn't the one above? It's lasted ages.

Any idea what was the best cordless was on Which?

OK folks, thanks for the info. The consensus seems to be 'avoid Dyson'. I shall proceed accordingly. 

Mods may close thread! 

EDIT: Unless of course, people want to continue hoover chat (Ruge, where are you?)  :)

Edited by mjmooney

3 minutes ago, ChristchurchVillan said:

Any idea what was the best cordless was on Which?

Miele Triflex HX2, which is over £600 😬, but supposedly there is a surprise package, the Beko PowerClean VRT94929VI is less than £200 but the performance belies the price.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xann said:

Miele Triflex HX2, which is over £600 😬, but supposedly there is a surprise package, the Beko PowerClean VRT94929VI is less than £200 but the performance belies the price.

price to performance - you'd be hard pressed to beat Henry

Â