Midweek Football 14/16 March

andykeenan

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Typical that Brighton and Brentford are winning, in a week after dropping points and us dropping points.

Football gods said " Sod this Villa we gave you your chance, you don't want it enough " lol

The gods making sure we never leave 11th again.

• Sad 1

Elyonoussi must be one of the worst players to start regularly in premier league.

Southampton get a really good 0-0 at Old Trafford and then change half their team. They remind me so much of us under Lambert defending set pieces aswell.

Luton going brilliantly under Rob Edwards. If it stays like this then only a point behind Boro and 5 behind Shef Utd with 9 games left in the season. 

As for Brentord and Brighton. Consistency is paying dividends isnt it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VillaBrum said:

Brighton playing some nice football (or is it that Palace are rubbish?)

Palace have some excellent players but are a horrid, cheating and thuggish team. Already conceded 16 fouls tonight.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with commentators moaning about how long VAR takes even when the correct decision is made at the end of it. I feel like football as a whole needs to decide if we want things done quickly or properly. 

Yes taking their time is annoying (especially if you're at the ground) but ultimately if the correct decision is made then it's worth it? 

If they take ages and still make poor decisions then that's an entirely different matter. 

Though, I'd also be in favour of VAR just going in the bin. But seeing as that's unlikely, at least do it right. 

42 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Considering Toney has pleaded guilty to X amount of charges according to the press, shouldn't he be banned already for the charges he's admitted to?

FA is moving at snail pace and apparently it will be a summer hearing to decide things so probably this six month ban will just cover three months of pre season so he won't miss much of next season.

He'll be available for remainder of this one anyway.

22 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with commentators moaning about how long VAR takes even when the correct decision is made at the end of it. I feel like football as a whole needs to decide if we want things done quickly or properly. 

Yes taking their time is annoying (especially if you're at the ground) but ultimately if the correct decision is made then it's worth it? 

If they take ages and still make poor decisions then that's an entirely different matter. 

Though, I'd also be in favour of VAR just going in the bin. But seeing as that's unlikely, at least do it right. 

As with most things VAR, the world Cup did it better 

VAR was quicker, done proper and they still added on the right amount of time at the end 

12 hours ago, PieFacE said:

The one last night was silly, 1.5 minutes into 2 minutes of injury time, Real Madrid 6-2 up. Ball clearly comes off defenders thigh onto his hand, not handball.

Ref didn’t give it.

VAR reviewed it

VAR asked ref to look on the screen

Ref checked screen and stayed with initial decision.

Complete waste of everybody’s time.

13 hours ago, PieFacE said:

They tried to go quickly a few weeks ago and somebody was hounded out of  their job over it.   

13 hours ago, PieFacE said:

This is a false dichotomy though

Nobody wants the fastest possible decision at any cost to accuracy, and nobody wants the correct decision absolutely no matter how long it takes - we don't want to to sit there for 20 minutes, for example

There's a compromise to be had between accuracy vs time, the problem is everyone will have their own feeling for what a reasonable time is to reach the right conclusion.

My gut feel is if you can't tell within a few seconds after seeing from a couple of angles, play on with the on field decision.

Â