Midweek Football 14/16 March

andykeenan

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Tbh I’ve never understood why you can’t have a separate timekeeper besides the ref, who just pauses the clock every time the ball goes dead. Would completely get rid of time wasting on goal kicks, throw ins, free kicks, etc and would get rid of all the Fergie time bullshit as well.

It’s the time outs, team changes, quarters, half time shows, etc that make US sport so stop-start. Just getting the clock right wouldn’t change football, besides making it fairer.

Yep, and "it's just a little bit of tinsel on the walls that we want" said the turkeys who voted for Christmas.  

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Tbh I’ve never understood why you can’t have a separate timekeeper besides the ref, who just pauses the clock every time the ball goes dead. Would completely get rid of time wasting on goal kicks, throw ins, free kicks, etc and would get rid of all the Fergie time bullshit as well.

It’s the time outs, team changes, quarters, half time shows, etc that make US sport so stop-start. Just getting the clock right wouldn’t change football, besides making it fairer.

It would also make every game 30-45 minutes longer as well which creates it's own problem for broadcasters, fans in the stadium etc. Like @villa4europe said surely it's easier to just get refs to enforce the rules we already have.

It's like the whole surrounding the ref thing, I've never understood why refs don't just start dishing cards out. A few weeks of players getting sent off for it and they'd soon stop doing it, and the refs then no longer have to deal with it. Surely it's in their own interest?

35 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

It would also make every game 30-45 minutes longer as well which creates it's own problem for broadcasters, fans in the stadium etc. Like @villa4europe said surely it's easier to just get refs to enforce the rules we already have.

It's like the whole surrounding the ref thing, I've never understood why refs don't just start dishing cards out. A few weeks of players getting sent off for it and they'd soon stop doing it, and the refs then no longer have to deal with it. Surely it's in their own interest?

No it wouldn't - games would be 60 minutes rather than 90.  The impact would be about 15 minutes which broadcasters can easily work around.

The laws on stoppage time are vague.  Some refs will add on loads of time, some won't.  If you have a clock that stops when the ball is dead, it solves the issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

No it wouldn't - games would be 60 minutes rather than 90.  The impact would be about 15 minutes which broadcasters can easily work around.

The laws on stoppage time are vague.  Some refs will add on loads of time, some won't.  If you have a clock that stops when the ball is dead, it solves the issue.

That's not addressing the problem though is it? Fans complaints are they're paying for 90 mins of football and getting (on average) 55 mins, the solution to that isn't to just make the game 60 mins long and say there you go. That's like going into McDonalds and ordering and paying £4 for a double cheeseburger and getting a single cheeseburger, and upon complaining you get told that rather than getting the double cheeseburger you ordered they're just going to change the price of a single to £4. (FWIW I haven't been in a Maccies in 20 years so I have no idea how much one costs).

9 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

That's not addressing the problem though is it? Fans complaints are they're paying for 90 mins of football and getting (on average) 55 mins, the solution to that isn't to just make the game 60 mins long and say there you go. That's like going into McDonalds and ordering and paying £4 for a double cheeseburger and getting a single cheeseburger, and upon complaining you get told that rather than getting the double cheeseburger you ordered they're just going to change the price of a single to £4. (FWIW I haven't been in a Maccies in 20 years so I have no idea how much one costs).

I don't think the issue is that fans don't get 90 minutes of action, is it?  I might be confusing two issues here if so - but I don't think people are fussed about the amount of playing time that actually happens; more than the 'added time' doesn't equate to what it should do.

So the solution would be to introduce stopping the clock when the ball is dead and making games 60 minutes long.  It takes away the vagueness of how much time should be added currently, without impacting on the amount of action seen (if anything, it would increase the amount of action and reduce the amount of fannying about wasting time).

Again how is it that FIFA got it right in Qatar... Add 12 mins on to each half if you have to

Pair that with yellow cards for blatant taking the piss and go back to getting injured players off the pitch like they used to, not sure when or why that changed, the two worst things about  "injuries" are players who go down within a metre of the byline but won't roll over and leave the pitch and players who get treated for 10 mins go off then come back on and go down again because the sub isn't ready

Â