Favourite Villa XI .. not necessarily the best XI

MWARLEY2

Be interesting to see how peoples differ . It might change tomorrow but as of this evening its this... 

JPA .. just loved his couple of good seasons. So cool . And he was brilliant in the air. Like a salmon. 

Atkinson..... when he was on it there was no one better. Pace skill strength and finishing. One of those that could have been even better if he had the work ethic. 

Morley... nothing better than seeing him run at a defender. He had so much pace .was like a cheat code. Big character as well. 

Barry... just loved how composed he was . And mega skillful.  Great shot on him as well. 

Kamara.. only 6 months in but he is so good to watch. And he is only just getting started. Got the lot. I have never been on my feet before when a defensive midfielder gets the ball but somehow he can . 

Solano... just loved Nobby. When he came in under DOL he instantly transformed us. So clever . All of a sudden our midfield could pass the ball .  My favourite ever away game was the 2-1 at Loftus Rd when Bocanegra did Delaney. Apart from the early goal after 3 minutes and the injury we played such good football through the midfield. Silky as ****. 

JLloyd ... loved that season with him at lb and barry at left mid. They had a brilliant understanding. Another silky player. 

Laursen... the bravest defender i have seen in the flesh for the villa ( apart from Nathan Baker ) .. would get his head on everything in both boxes. 

GOD .. nuff said

Ash ... loved him this season. True warrior and leader . And keeps everyone on their toes. 37 years old and not slowing down.  Far more effective at rb than left back and still has decent pace. Legend in my eyes for coming back and being just as influential as before   albeit for different reasons

Emi.. best i have seen. Shay Given reflexes in a 6ft 5 frame. And a massive character. 

• Like 2

For me its’s

Jimmy or Budgie

Gidman - McGrath - Laursen  Gibson

Sid  -   Barry - Cropley -   Townsend

Shaw  -  Deano

subs

Bertie

Geddes

Collymore

Teale

Yorkie bar 

😃😃

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Seriously? Distinctly average player

As i said theres good players and favourite players.  I just loved him and Barry on the left.  Take Barry out of the equation and i wouldnt pick him.  Benteke was miles more effective than Atkinson but i just loved Atkinson. That feeling that you couldnt miss a game because it would be the one he would turn it on and look world class. Never really happened but its the feelings you get 

Villa supporter since 2006 - Team of my favorites during the past 17 years...

Martinez

Mellberg - Laursen - Mings - Bouma

Milner - Petrov - Barry - Young

Carew - Benteke

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Villa supporter since 2006 - Team of my favorites during the past 17 years...

Martinez

Mellberg - Laursen - Mings - Bouma

Milner - Petrov - Barry - Young

Carew - Benteke

You’ve picked a great team there KMitch, but if you get the time watch some 96-97 season games or even better 92-93.. 

Martinez
Cash    Laursen     Terry       Wright

Kamara    Barry
                         Merson
Young                                    Grealish
                       Benteke

Subs: 
Freidel (Still can't spell it)
Mellberg
Milner 
Daley
Carew
Mings
Dellany

Not favourite XI but most entertaining would be this, in a nice 3-4-3:

Örjan Nyland

Didier Agathe            Dion Dublin              Tony Moon

Adama Traoré         Sasa Curcic              Eric Djemba-Djemba      Aleksandar Tonev

Tommy Johnsson   Marlon Harewood     Grant Holt

Subs:

Nzogbia

Traoré

Macoun

Kodjia

Hadji

Samba

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Oakes

Richards    Lescott   Unsworth    Beye

Makoun  Salifou

Curcic

Balaban   McCormack   Helenius

lol...  That team would finish dead last in the Championship.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Emi

Delaney  McGrath   Laursen     Bouma

Traore       Barry        Merson      Young

Angel        Dublin 

I like your style 

• Like 1

Started supporting the club from the 80’s onwards. Some really good and favourite players came from the Taylor, Big Ron and O’Neill days.      

Bosnich 

Mellberg - McGrath - Laursen - Staunton 

Daley - Platt - Taylor - Young

Saunders - Yorke

Subs: Martinez, Delaney, Teale, Ugo, Barry, Cowans, Merson, Grealish, Atkinson

I reckon I’ve missed some real favourites and gems but off the top of my head, the match day squad above will do for me.

Edited by ferguson1

Â