Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

7 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I think the new leader at the back has to be right footed to play alongside Pau. Another left footer wouldn't make much sense. 

Zaniolo's FBREF stats worry me somewhat and I think he may frustrate us a lot if he comes here, although FBREF isn't always the best indicator and he's clearly got talent. It's a shame we didn't get Doku done who is a brilliant young player. I also think Thiago Almada could be a good shout, only played in the MLS but is young and similar sort of player to Buendia except he will end up being better. I don't imagine he would cost the earth either. 

Looks like being Zaniolo, another centre back and a right back. I just hope we don't start compromising on quality as the Harrison rumours scare me a bit, although it could have all been nonsense. 

I think the "For the love of Paul McGrath" podcast piece covered off the Zaniolo's FBREF stats issue very well.  With the role that he was asked to play for Roma before and after injuries (and it sounds similar at Gala) he's mainly used as a player to dribble at defenders, try and take them on and get shots off at goal.  This does mean that often the raw stats don't really display his ability and / or his impact on matches correctly.  Also Roma scored a lot of goals from the aftermath of runs / shots by Zaniolo - often where he wouldn't get the goal contribution or key pass credit - but his play was 90% responsible for the goal chance that finally came about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Field said:

I actually think Maguire is quite good but limited. If used correctly he is really effective and good. He would though, not fit our system even the slightest, he basically only plays left sided, which we don't need as much, he is slow meaning he is not capable at playing in a high line, and is extremely error prone on the ball. He would be fantastic for a more defensive side.  

arguably pre Unai, people would have drawn many parallels between Mings and Maguire, many concluding that Maguire is the better player.

Like many others i see the mistakes, Maguire does add to the leadership and organisation gaps that Mings has left us with. I wonder under Unai if we could see the rate of development that Mings has shown?

16 minutes ago, allani said:

I'm not dissing Brighton at all.  They've done some amazing business.  I just think that theirs looks better because they've sold players at their peak market value and our doesn't look as good because we've kept most of our midfield together.  Consequently I think sometimes people can get sucked into how great Brighton's recruitment is and not recognise that we've done a pretty similar job.

The other thing that is interesting is that Brighton have (in the past) been able to gamble on cheaper players because actually whether they finish 6th or 16th can still be sold as a success story.  Their expectation for this season have probably now shifted in that they'll be wanting European competition next season so they've got less room to take the kind of chances they have in the past.  They are already starting to spend more in certain positions and are now beginning to look more in the same market as us - i.e. players in the £20-40m bracket who still represent value.  So I think their own model is already starting to evolve.

It is interesting that many people want us to sign these unknown wonder kids that go from £5m to £50m in a season and yet as soon as we are linked with players worth around £20m but with similar potential - the links are almost immediately followed with "never played in a proper league before", "isn't suited to the PL", "if they are that good why are they still in the Outer Mongolian 2nd Division", "how comes no-one else is interested", etc.

Sure.

That’s the main difference really… we target a higher profile in stronger or less obscure leagues… with the intention of them sticking around and moving forward with them…

Whereas Brighton have more obscure or unknown targets that are usually successful due to how proficient their scouting is and, a major point, they are able to integrate them and help them settle… how many of them have struggled in that sense?

It seems like they’ve had less “failures” and not wasted as much money as us…

They make big profits because other clubs hadn’t followed those players until Brighton “put them on the map”…

But, as you say, they will have to adapt that moving forwards if they want to stick around in that top 6-8 and play in Europe consistently…

I hope we can get ahead of them and find that stability and consistency…

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I think the new leader at the back has to be right footed to play alongside Pau. Another left footer wouldn't make much sense. 

Zaniolo's FBREF stats worry me somewhat and I think he may frustrate us a lot if he comes here, although FBREF isn't always the best indicator and he's clearly got talent. It's a shame we didn't get Doku done who is a brilliant young player. I also think Thiago Almada could be a good shout, only played in the MLS but is young and similar sort of player to Buendia except he will end up being better. I don't imagine he would cost the earth either. 

Looks like being Zaniolo, another centre back and a right back. I just hope we don't start compromising on quality as the Harrison rumours scare me a bit, although it could have all been nonsense. 

We should give Diego a chance… as long as he can keep getting fitter, stronger, sharper… he can actually bring what Ty did and more…

Keep banging the drum… Pau and Carlos are being underestimate and underrated… competed and performed at the top level for many years… so much to offer… it’s just about settling and adapting… they should be afforded that time now.

Go back a few years, and a CB partnership of Pau and Diego would be seen as one of the best around…

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

We should give Diego a chance… as long as he can keep getting fitter, stronger, sharper… he can actually bring what Ty did and more…

Keep banging the drum… Pau and Carlos are being underestimate and underrated… competed and performed at the top level for many years… so much to offer… it’s just about settling and adapting… they should be afforded that time now.

Go back a few years, and a CB partnership of Pau and Diego would be seen as one of the best around…

People are basing opinion on Carlos from the limited viewing before injured then significant injury then pre season. I said weeks ago after signed Torres that we should keep Mings and Konsa pairing to start as nothing worse than breaking up CB pairing beginning of season. Now that's been forced upon us. It's really concerning. I'm not going to pretend it's not

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I know it’s unlikley as i doubt levekursen would sell any more of their first team players but i like the look of that Frimpong. He looked like he was awesome with diaby. Their linkup play at times was frightening 

What I’ve heard about him is that he’s a real attacking threat but… he’s poor or lacking defensively…

So… not really what we need.

There's no chance Unai would consider Maguire, he just does not fit the profile of an Emery centre half. We will always play a high line and Maguire could not cope with that.

He is far too slow in the recovery to suit our system so we don't need to worry about that peticular rumour!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

arguably pre Unai, people would have drawn many parallels between Mings and Maguire, many concluding that Maguire is the better player.

Like many others i see the mistakes, Maguire does add to the leadership and organisation gaps that Mings has left us with. I wonder under Unai if we could see the rate of development that Mings has shown?

We'd need to go regularly to 3atb though, would be massively exposed in back 4 and that's still what UE starts with pretty much every time.

47 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

People are basing opinion on Carlos from the limited viewing before injured then significant injury then pre season. I said weeks ago after signed Torres that we should keep Mings and Konsa pairing to start as nothing worse than breaking up CB pairing beginning of season. Now that's been forced upon us. It's really concerning. I'm not going to pretend it's not

No one’s telling you to pretend or not have any concerns…

We just have different views on how we react to this problem.

Edited by Jas10

Just now, VillanousOne said:

You're thinking of Philip Schofield?

Too soon? I'll get me coat

In all fairness, I posted ‘nonce’ when this fact was originally posted on the Monchi thread 

• Haha 1

I think as soon as you start with a team like the below - it feels better.

Cash - Konsa (or Carlos) - Torres - Digne

McGinn - Kamara - Luiz 

Tielemans

Diaby --- Watkins

No Bailey, McGinn covering for Cash, even Konsa at right back would be fine.

We just suddenly need Tielemans and Torres to hit the ground running more than we thought we did.

Throw in Zanilo as an option if we want to swap the midfield around - it doesn't feel as bad.

We still need to decide what is happening with Archer and if going on loan or transfer with buy back, get on and buy another striker.

11 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Don't we have a couple of decent youth prospects at CB in the academy?

Not saying we should be starting them in games, but a few sub appearances to break them and we might just find a gem.  

I think Feeney and Bogarde are highly rated

Edit - forgot Kerr Smith too 

Edited by villan95
  • Like 1