Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

53 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

We have to do it really… and buy back deals are very favourable…

I do think we have a bit of an obsession and over hype and over rate our youngsters… it’s been a common theme for a long time but not all that many have made that breakthrough.

If they’re good enough, they’ll be given the chances but in the meantime… go and develop elsewhere with significant game time.

We've advanced quite a lot as a club in the last year or so and I think people are still getting to grips with it. I don't think they quite appreciate how far we are from the Championship in terms of quality now. 

Just now, KAZZAM said:

Do we buy a RB or just move Ezri there and buy a new RCB?

I think it makes more sense just to buy a new CB tbh. 

Personally, I want to see us put faith in a Pau and Diego partnership. Konsa can compete and cover two positions.

Unless Diego is not over his injury trouble? They both have a lot to offer though and have performed at the top level… being underrated and underestimated imo, particularly Pau…

Cash has no competition, Digne is a big step down from Moreno…

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Do we buy a RB or just move Ezri there and buy a new RCB?

I think it makes more sense just to buy a new CB tbh. 

Konsa played right back 32 times and has over 200 games at centre back. We need a right back. Keep Konsa as a centre back option. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

He's 31, can't see us going for him 

I can. Emery likes experienced players and he's got a few years left in him. We need to replace the tenacity we've lost in the side and he brings that in spades. He's a good versatile, all-round player and would probably be better for the side than Digne. 

53 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

I've got a gut feeling we'll make a move for Maguire. Not thrilled but we need a vocal defender and organiser, and he'd give that. Has a point to prove. Mind he'll lose his England spot if he joined us as conkface sees our club as kryptonite.

I sincerely hope not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

I get your point and noticed your comments on this subject in the past… all very fair and reasonable.

I don’t expect or want us to replicate Brighton’s model to a tee but… they deserve credit imo.

It hasn’t hit them negatively YET. Everything has pretty much worked out for the better/positive… losing (the overrated?) Potter and all of his team… bringing in (the superior?) De Zerbi…

Replacing the players they have sold for relatively minimal outlay and actually kicking on by qualifying for Europe…

It’s been pretty rosy for them but who knows how sustainable it is and for how long…

As we are aware, it can’t be all sunshine and rainbows all the time 😂 there will be setbacks…

But they can be used or looked at as some form of inspiration…

I'm not dissing Brighton at all.  They've done some amazing business.  I just think that theirs looks better because they've sold players at their peak market value and our doesn't look as good because we've kept most of our midfield together.  Consequently I think sometimes people can get sucked into how great Brighton's recruitment is and not recognise that we've done a pretty similar job.

The other thing that is interesting is that Brighton have (in the past) been able to gamble on cheaper players because actually whether they finish 6th or 16th can still be sold as a success story.  Their expectation for this season have probably now shifted in that they'll be wanting European competition next season so they've got less room to take the kind of chances they have in the past.  They are already starting to spend more in certain positions and are now beginning to look more in the same market as us - i.e. players in the £20-40m bracket who still represent value.  So I think their own model is already starting to evolve.

It is interesting that many people want us to sign these unknown wonder kids that go from £5m to £50m in a season and yet as soon as we are linked with players worth around £20m but with similar potential - the links are almost immediately followed with "never played in a proper league before", "isn't suited to the PL", "if they are that good why are they still in the Outer Mongolian 2nd Division", "how comes no-one else is interested", etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the new leader at the back has to be right footed to play alongside Pau. Another left footer wouldn't make much sense. 

Zaniolo's FBREF stats worry me somewhat and I think he may frustrate us a lot if he comes here, although FBREF isn't always the best indicator and he's clearly got talent. It's a shame we didn't get Doku done who is a brilliant young player. I also think Thiago Almada could be a good shout, only played in the MLS but is young and similar sort of player to Buendia except he will end up being better. I don't imagine he would cost the earth either. 

Looks like being Zaniolo, another centre back and a right back. I just hope we don't start compromising on quality as the Harrison rumours scare me a bit, although it could have all been nonsense. 

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Is there any credence… to the idea… that there has been a lot of hype, attention and “noise” associated with Brighton? More focus on them?

And that is why “big clubs” have targeted their players, manager, and spent so heavily?

Or is that complete nonsense? 😂

I think there is absolutely something to it.  Just like Chelsea were able to sell off a lot of their academy players a while ago because everyone else thought that Chelsea's academy were churning out all the best kids - so there was almost a "premium" to the price because teams were assuming that there was an added level of guarantee.

Acuña is absolutely terrible. 

Every Argentina game during the World Cup, he stood out as the worst player in their side. 

Crossing was dreadful and constantly lost possession when trying to take the full back on.

So… there’s a cheery little assessment to help buck up everyone’s Monday.

I know its unlikley as i doubt levekursen would sell any more of their first team players but i like the look of that Frimpong. He looked like he was awesome with diaby. Their linkup play at times was frightening 

• Like 1