Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

I think we'll have to keep in mind that not every signing will be a " hit " or instant hit.

Even the best managers and teams get signings wrong some time.

Aside from that, even if all signings aren't " hits " they could still play a part in the overall success of a team inadvertantly.

Some signings could actually improve current players by default or see young talent emerging if they don't perform etc.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think we'll have to keep in mind that not every signing won't be a " hit " or instant hit.

Even the best managers and teams get signings wrong some time.

Aside from that, even if all signings aren't " hits " they could still play a part in the overall success of a team inadvertantly.

Yep. I still look back at Barkley scoring a last minute screamer at Leicester and his performance in the annihilation of Liverpool.

Wasn't a great signing overall, but still contributed to a good season with some amazing memories.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Yep. I still look back at Barkley scoring a last minute screamer at Leicester and his performance in the annihilation of Liverpool.

Wasn't a great signing overall, but still contributed to a good season with some amazing memories.

Without a club at 29. Funny old career. Dele Alli style issues? Or something else missing/not right. Was a player in there somewhere. Maybe just too much money too young and he lost his hunger 

2 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I think people would be a bit silly to suggest (and I'm not sure anyone has, really) that Torres will instantly and without question bench Mings. A combination of standard Villa self-loathing, recency bias, and underrating of Mings would all be at work there. Torres will surely have to earn his spot just like anyone else. Emery would be a fool to allow a shiny new player to knock out a club stalwart and squad leader. That would be downright Gerrardian. Emery's way too brilliant to do that.

Yes and no.

We're not talking a player who is signed on Wednesday and in the first team Saturday. They, and all the players, will have preseason to work together, fight for starting positions and earn their spots after the games in friendlies.

If Emery decided after a month and a half of preseason that Torres should be starting ahead of any of our long serving players, then I'd trust him and not think that was unfair or unreasonable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Also looking at his time at Roma, he immediately broke their record for Patrik Shick at €42m. Nzonzi up there at #6 for €26m and Pastore at #9 at €24m.

He's not afraid of spending and breaking records. 

Hopefully his hit rate is good for us though.

His time with AS Roma is a bit of a weird outlier though. With respect to what he did elsewhere anyway. Everyone here is convinced he got a massive backhander for the Nzonzi deal from his old club too :D Anyway, his stay in Italy was bizarre for a lot of reasons.

5 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I think people would be a bit silly to suggest (and I'm not sure anyone has, really) that Torres will instantly and without question bench Mings. A combination of standard Villa self-loathing, recency bias, and underrating of Mings would all be at work there. Torres will surely have to earn his spot just like anyone else. Emery would be a fool to allow a shiny new player to knock out a club stalwart and squad leader. That would be downright Gerrardian. Emery's way too brilliant to do that. Mings and Konsa aren't Bailey or Buendia in terms of recent form and consistency. These players were central to our rise under Emery.

I thought Emery managed Digne and Moreno well. 

We are going to need a big squad with depth in quality. Everyone will get playing time and a chance to impress. I can see Torres, Mings and Carlos playing together too.

Whilst I don’t expect CBs to be subbed off, this is now a 16 player game and phases of games where a third CB may be needed at some point.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I think people would be a bit silly to suggest (and I'm not sure anyone has, really) that Torres will instantly and without question bench Mings. A combination of standard Villa self-loathing, recency bias, and underrating of Mings would all be at work there. Torres will surely have to earn his spot just like anyone else. Emery would be a fool to allow a shiny new player to knock out a club stalwart and squad leader. That would be downright Gerrardian. Emery's way too brilliant to do that. Mings and Konsa aren't Bailey or Buendia in terms of recent form and consistency. These players were central to our rise under Emery.

It's great that we have options and depth now at the back (damn!), and it will be exciting to see who plays when and where exactly. Could be some surprises. I still think the physicality and leadership of Mings will be core to us this year.

Pau and Mings will be our main CB pairing. I'll happily go on record as saying that. 💯 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Yes and no.

We're not talking a player who is signed on Wednesday and in the first team Saturday. They, and all the players, will have preseason to work together, fight for starting positions and earn their spots after the games in friendlies.

If Emery decided after a month and a half of preseason that Torres should be starting ahead of any of our long serving players, then I'd trust him and not think that was unfair or unreasonable.

Agreed -- and of course, there's the omnipresent threat of training knocks. I also will be excited to see what happens with Carlos. We are juiced in the back, that's for sure.