Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

7 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Being serious, for just a second.

Felix is just far too expensive and, you would think/assume, too difficult to attract to the club.

It’s just that, previous interest was genuine. Unai actually commented on it and that really piqued my interest. He spoke of him in a press conference…

So… were we capable of sorting a deal (loan back then, how he ended up at Chelsea) and capable of affording it (or happy to take on that outlay)? Intriguing…

Did we talk to him and his agent?

But, I wouldn’t want us to spend the vast majority (if not all) of our budget on a single player and I especially would never want us to spend recklessly.

It’s just fun to speculate and imagine us having “star players” at the club sometimes…

He needs to be willing to take a major pay cut and for Atletico to take a major hit/loss… a very awkward and difficult  situation…

Clearly a player Unai rates (so who are we to think less/poorly of him?) and likes…

I don’t want to repeat old comments in full but basically, the lad is unsettled and needs a move to get back to his best.

I have no idea as to his personality or temperament… I’m not going to judge him off a line or two of text or a headline online or on social media claiming he “only wants CL clubs”… (football fans can be crazy judgemental and irrational like that). And what’s even wrong with that? But… could he be persuaded to join a club that’s looking to get there rather than already there?

Anyway, it’s not realistic for us… but… Unai was interested….  I found it surprising at the time.

Would take a master negotiator to broker a decent deal… that’s the biggest problem, his talent is not really in question (moreso form, but that can be worked on and restored under the right manager and in the right environment).

Anyway, I just want Chiesa 🤣

Whoever Unai wants though 😉 

I do wish more people were as smart...

Felix though, just something about him puts me off, his demeanour and allegedly wouldn't or won't entertain joining Villa.

Chiesa was brilliant for Italy during the Euro's but now I'm not sure if he's as good, I wonder if he still has injury problems?

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Buendia is not as bad as you make out and can still be a decent squad player. He just has areas of his game that are frustrating and don’t seem to change. Still doubt we’ll be looking to sell him. 

Dendonker on the other hand….

Ill be honest i think this seasons make or break for him. Has been here a few years now and hasnt kicked on like most of us expected. Is very inconsistent like bailey.

We need consistency moving forward if we want to move forward as a club or win some silverware

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Buendia is not as bad as you make out and can still be a decent squad player. He just has areas of his game that are frustrating and don’t seem to change. Still doubt we’ll be looking to sell him. 

Dendonker on the other hand….

I have doubts whether he’ll make the matchday squad with all our players fully fit. 

So we’ve already signed Buendia, Dendoncker etc, is there any chat about potential inbound transfers to be had in the summer transfer thread? The constant chat about players we already have is boring in this particular topic. It’s not speculation either, you are literally just talking about our players which you don’t like… 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Frodo said:

Newcastle get Barnes we pick up Chiesa, perfect 👌

Chiesa transfer would worry me. It’s no doubt a risk. You’re undoubtedly picking up a lot of potential but you’re also taking on a player who’s suffered a nasty injury and hasn’t looked the same since. 

It’s not to say it couldn’t work out, but I’m skeptical. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Chiesa transfer would worry me. It’s no doubt a risk. You’re undoubtedly picking up a lot of potential but you’re also taking on a player who’s suffered a nasty injury and hasn’t looked the same since. 

I’m also trying to think of an attacking player signed from Serie A that has really impressed in the Prem in recent years. I can think of Salah but after that I’m struggling. 

21 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Stone the crows. We're in agreement again

• Haha 2

Chiesa is the type of player if available you take the risk on IMO… I wanted McKennie from Schalke but he’s done nothing since then to warrant interest, nor Arthur Melo.  I think it’s more realistic we’d been in for Samuel Iling Junior and if looking at Juve for a CM Fagioli or Miretti. Cheeky bid for Pogba 😂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m also trying to think of an attacking player signed from Serie A that has really impressed in the Prem in recent years. I can think of Salah but after that I’m struggling. 

Ronaldo for his limits got 24 goals in his first season at United. Its not a transfer that happens often

Cancelo was a flop in Italy but an attacking star in England even if a full back

• Like 1

I get the feeling most of the signings will be very close to the deadline as most of the players we are aiming for will have other choices before us, so it's a wait to see what happens 

28 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeah I can think of plenty who have come with great reputations from Serie A but have struggled in the PL. There have been some successes over the years, but they are quite a while ago now. Henry and Bergkamp being two that immediately come to mind.

I do think Chiesa could do well here if he is over his injury problems. He was the standout player for me in that Euro winning Italian team. I would definitely be excited by him signing for us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I get the feeling most of the signings will be very close to the deadline as most of the players we are aiming for will have other choices before us, so it's a wait to see what happens 

Agree, I think we as supporters and club will need patience. We are not at the level yet where too players would jump at the chance to sign for us. We need to cement a top 6 place and maybe CL place before that happens.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Cancelo was a flop in Italy but an attacking star in England even if a full back

No he wasn't :lol:

He was brilliant for Inter.

So much so Juve then swooped and signed him for £40m. Then sold him to City for £60m.