Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

7 hours ago, bobzy said:

No idea where you’re getting Ramsey at 7.12 xA or Buendia at 4.12 xA.

Buendia has the highest xA of anyone in the squad so I’m guessing you’ve just proven your own argument to be wrong? Good work!

You're reaching here. Footystats.org see for yourself.

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Nowhere near in the same class is he?

But I like your thinking 🤣

Problem is, I think Chiesa would have most top clubs after him but… you never know 🤣

I would be elated if we signed him.

Seems to be a trend of ex pro (legends) sons playing and signing for Serie A clubs at the moment not many are living up to the name Chiesa being the exception.I have no idea how Juventus financial situation is but I’m guessing it isn’t great they might be tempted by a decent offer, but maybe top clubs may be put off given his recent injury record.

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

The quality of the chance you create is what is given a numerical number. So in my example of a player missing a tap in. The xG of the shot would be say 0.95 which means 95% of the time a goal is scored. The xAG is the 0.95 to the player who played the pass and 0.95 xG to player taking the shot.

The second example I gave where the pass was behind the striker, the xG of that would be say 0.2. So what we are measuring with the number is how good the chance created by the pass was. 

So in the example the player who played the pass gets xAG of 0.95 or 0.2 and gets 0 or 1 in terms of assists. Yet the actual pass quality and chance created was significantly better in the first than the second yet he didn't get an assist.

This is why xAG is better measure than actual assists. When judging how creative a player is.

Sorry, but example still holds. 

If player A creates 5 chances with a 0.2 chance of scoring. That's 1 xA.

If player B creates 1 chance with a 0.95 chance of scoring. That's 0.95 xA.

So quantity can make up for quality when comes to xA. Which is my primary point.

My secondary point is that xA needs to work in conjunction with other stats, like chances created, and most importantly, Assists. I certainly would sign a player with a high xA but a low number of actual assists, unless I was A convinced of other aspects of his game and his fit for the teams style, formation, and tactics. And B other stats like key passes, and chances created gave me a better impression.

Stats are tools, they have to be used in conjunction with other stats, as well as the trained eye of an expert. 

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Those that don’t rate Johnson. Have you watched him play often? Was the main threat for Forest whenever I saw them play and this was a very defensive team so that isn’t easy.

For me it's not that I don't rate him as such, but for the money, and having seen him play for Wales quite a bit (Although he hasn't played many 90mins for Wales) I just wonder if he's that good.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Seems to be a trend of ex pro (legends) sons playing and signing for Serie A clubs at the moment not many are living up to the name Chiesa being the exception.I have no idea how Juventus financial situation is but I’m guessing it isn’t great they might be tempted by a decent offer, but maybe top clubs may be put off given his recent injury record.

Allegri is pretty much hated by Juve fans and has been heavily criticised for doing a poor job and not implementing an attractive or attacking style, accused of hindering or stymying his players…

Has he joined a Saudi club now? Or did he turn them down?

In which case, Juve would be appointing a new manager and it’s less likely that their big name players will leave. More likely they leave if he sticks around I should think…

Also, is it fair to say that Chiesa has an injury record/history? Hasn’t he just had one major injury? Seems to have come back well from it and they missed him while he was out… Has been immense for Italy, what a player he is!

Read something a while ago that he wasn’t happy with they style Juve were playing too… not sure on the Vlahovic situation either…

Again, I would love it if we could take advantage and sign him but it just seems unlikely or unrealistic… personally, he’d be my first pick…even over someone like Felix or Torres (not sure about him… hasn’t really pulled up any trees but, like other players, maybe just needs the right environment and manager to thrive)…

We shall see 😄

Edited by Jas10

Ibanez would be a decent signing IMO.

Given that Hause is expected to depart. Chambers and Dendoncker are available and with both Mings and Carlos pushing 31it would make some sense in bringing him in now. Especially if we play with 3 CB’s in future, although even if we didn’t he can also play RB and DM. 

Might be a cheaper/better option than Tyler Adams? 

Edited by Supervillan78

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Javi Galan joining Atleti for £5m.

Absolute bargain. Sort of player we could target if we weren't lumbered with Digne.

If we fined him a weeks wages we could afford that transfer fee.

• Haha 2

Lol. Account deletion’ pending. 

Sick of dickhead trolls and stupid moderation. 

10 minutes ago, av1 said:

Lol. Account deletion’ pending. 

Sick of dickhead trolls and stupid moderation. 

Ive thought about it a few times but just sleep on it.

A generally decent villa community here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

They’re way off anything else then.

Here’s the one everyone else uses:

https://fbref.com/en/squads/8602292d/Aston-Villa-Stats

Firstly xG and xA aren't standardised. Meaning different aggregators have different ways of calculating xG and xA. Unless we know the details of how they calculate xA and come to a unified conclusion on which method is better it could well be fbref that's way off. Reality, we just don't know!

Secondly Buendia's xA on fbref is 5.7 which is not particularly high. It is 0.9 higher than Bailey, and 0.6 higher than JJ. Bailey has double the number of assists, and JJ has more than 3 times the assists. 

So even using fbref it suggests (when combined with his chance creation stats) he is creating lower quality chances.

Like I said reaching!