Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

37 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

It’s all about the attack really… I’m so bloody intrigued to see who Unai actually wants.

I might combust if we sign Chiesa, what a player 🤣 Highly unlikely and probably a nothing link but… let a guy dream!

Its gonna be interesting as we have no idea  ,think it is gonna be a longer wait as they will want to get this area of the team spot on. 

So in the last 2 days I’ve read that both Maddison and Sancho are shit. 

I’m excited about the new players we bring in aswell, but I fear some might have set their sights a little high if those 2 are considered shit 🤣

FWIW there is something I don’t like about Maddison that I can’t explain, but he is certainly a very talented player. 

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

FWIW there is something I don’t like about Maddison that I can’t explain, but he is certainly a very talented player. 

He is very confident bordering arrogance. Could it be that?

Actually find him to be quite well spoken to be fair.  He’s no Jack Grealish put it that way.

21 minutes ago, av1 said:

So in the last 2 days I’ve read that both Maddison and Sancho are shit. 

I’m excited about the new players we bring in aswell, but I fear some might have set their sights a little high if those 2 are considered shit 🤣

And to think I got pelters for thinking Dendonker was shit!

I really rate Maddison. Would love him at Villa. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

15 minutes ago, av1 said:

I'm half convinced he's a Wikipedia player, great stats but every time I see him he's just OK, in fact on the relegation run in I wouldn't even say he was that

He'd be a £60m 7/10 player and unfortunately with the way football works I'm convinced we should be able to unearth someone better for cheaper from abroad

That's far from me saying he's shit but same as Barnes I just don't see the fuss

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He is very confident bordering arrogance. Could it be that?

Actually find him to be quite well spoken to be fair.  He’s no Jack Grealish put it that way.

You know what mate, I really don’t know. 

I don’t want to start going OT, but just explain my post. I posted in the snooker thread during the world championships that I didn’t like Judd Trump and I couldn’t explain it. Judd plays a style of snooker I like, he seems like a decent bloke in interviews, so I really can’t put my finger on why I don’t like him. 

Back on topic, Maddison is the same. I really can’t explain what it is. 

22 minutes ago, av1 said:

face like a smacked arse will be the explanation 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm half convinced he's a Wikipedia player, great stats but every time I see him he's just OK, in fact on the relegation run in I wouldn't even say he was that

It’s funny actually mate. Maybe it’s because I still got a lot of love for Deano, that like most Villa fans I watched a few Leicester games hoping he’d keep them up. And some players really wound me up because it looked as though they’d downed tools. 

But then when they got relagated, Lineker was talking about them on MOTD (he apparently watches every Leicester game) and said Maddison had been brilliant all season, so I don’t know. 

Maddison is a good player but also gets overrated, or he used to, maybe not so much now, he's never been anywhere near as good as Grealish for example, Grealish is much more consistent and more of a team player, and can run games by himself, Maddison has mad class and comes up with plenty of moments of brilliance, but in a way he's more of an highlights player, maybe that's a little harsh, but goes missing a lot in games and across games, if you read Leicester fans' opinions of him it's not as positive as some might think, and that's not just this season because the team has been so poor, but going back a few seasons, for a player of his ability he doesn't impact games as much as he should.

All that said I wouldn't have complained if we signed him, he obviously has qualities, just saying he's not as good as he's often made out to be, we can sign someone else as good as him or better.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

And to think I got pelters for thinking Dendonker was shit!

I really rate Maddison. Would love him at Villa. 

Every Villa player has been shit at one time or another. Especially with the World of social media. Buendia was absolute rubbish, in the eyes of some, in his first season here. McGinn had passed his sell by date. Even I, at one time, thought Jacob Ramsey was maybe not going to be the player he certainly looks like becoming. 

We're a fickle bunch, at times. 

• Like 2

I love this new direction of club and am fully behind Emery and his transfer decisions, if and when they come in. 

But I f*****g hate the summer window. 

Edited by Steero113
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

That should read...."Arda only wants to join a club, where the manager can improve him"

We are not a club with ready made trophies to hand, like Man City.....but we are a club with ambition and a project, we are on an upward trajectory.....any player with ambition, self confidence and a willingness to work,  will recognise that too.

• Like 1

Most of our signings will likely come from mainland Europe, international transfer window doesn't open until this weekend, so was always going to be quiet for us until July. Most of these players we're being linked with, we can't actually sign yet. Next week is when the transfer window will start livening up.

50 minutes ago, av1 said:

Me too.....but I don't want to start an Avalanche.....but there are certain things about him, I do like, too, and yes very talented.....He seems a player who can be negated, if required......albeit most players in the Prem are talented, by definition... the best are consistent with it.

when we are encroaching on the top 8 of the league, players consistency becomes more of an issue.....There are many players with sublime skills, who tend to be "moments players", ( but go missing for periods of the game) which is great in those moments, but to win trophies they have to be consistently 7 upwards out of 10.

I am not basing that comment on the Sofascore of 1 player last season with more than a 7....because I simply don't know how credible that is, but it makes me wonder.....we have to get more players to exceed 7 during games, even though the team have done well.

16 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I love this new direction of club and am fully behind Emery and his transfer decisions, if and when they come in. 

But I f*****g hate the summer window. 

I don’t mind the window itself, I DO hate social media when linked with the summer transfer window (and also the January one).

But you can still have a “thanks” :D 

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

I don’t mind the window itself, I DO hate social media when linked with the summer transfer window (and also the January one).

But you can still have a “thanks” :D 

Pretty much what I was getting at. The endless links, bulls**ting from 'journalists' and posturing is exhausting. 

• Like 1

I think/hope with 2 wise old owls in charge and a deeper analysis from them ,of what's required, maybe the due dilligence is taking a bit longer....along with getting the maths right.

There are many fences to jump, with so much money swashing around in the Premier League, and its easy to "rush in where angels fear to tread"....getting out of duff deals is not easy......it can't be easy negotiating.

I am happy for us to take our time, and get it right, and lately, we do seem to get it right.....The jack money was spent a bit dubiously, but Kamara, Tielemans, Luiz and McGinn was prudent trading.

We cannot rush these guys, if we want them to secure good deals for the club.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Every Villa player has been shit at one time or another. Especially with the World of social media. Buendia was absolute rubbish, in the eyes of some, in his first season here. McGinn had passed his sell by date. Even I, at one time, thought Jacob Ramsey was maybe not going to be the player he certainly looks like becoming. 

We're a fickle bunch, at times. 

Yeah, love it.....was McGrath ever shit?.....just teasing sheepy, but you have a point.....watch the Crouchy film, to see how he was struggling at one time, especially with us, before he found his consistency.

Football itself is tough old place to get consistency, and confidence, plays a huge part as we all know....game time plays a significant role, but that is challenged by a results driven business.....we all in the game, are impatient.

I think players have to impose themselves in the game and that can come in various guises.

How many times, have we all changed our minds on a player?.....I know I have.

I think the game itself can be fickle and we( fans) just react to it..

On all that basis, how difficult is it to sign players, for what is, after all said and done, huge sums of money.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1