Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 hour ago, burchy said:

His stats are good out there in Brazil but he’s about 27 or something isn’t he?

24 goals in 30 games this season according to transfermarkt in all competitions, although I can never work out the competition structure in Brazil as he’s played in 8 different club tournaments. 

Recently turned 26 so a reasonable age but not a youngster. Looked like he flopped at Fiorentina a few years ago.

Edited by david-avfc

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Far from naive I reckon that is the most likely scenario in this case.  It also happens for many players at many clubs.  Some players like sitting on the bench raking the cash but some players like to feel special and play regular even if that means moving away from a good club and manager.  Loads of examples of that across the league, season after season doesn’t matter if they’ve been at the club a year or ten years.

But Dendonker joined us as a squad player 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The comparison is that even under elite managers like Pep and Klopp, just like Emery players still have desires to leave sometimes, that was my point.

As for Dendoncker’s motives, who knows? Maybe Gerrard gave him assurances of playing time.  Maybe after the poor end to that season Dendoncker thought he had a good chance to claim a place in a midfield that wasn’t clicking at the time under Gerrard.  Kamara was only just brought, McGinn, Ramsey and Luiz weren’t exactly mixing well, in fact fairly poor, it could’ve been a reasonable assumption for Dendoncker.  

Remember we didn’t click until Emery came in.  

Under Gerrard, remember how poor we were even early this season, the Fulham debacle.  

The midfield playing today is light years from how they were at the start of the season and under a new manager, Dendoncker may feel he’s not going to get much time especially with Tielemans coming in and although Emery might ask him to stay, Dendoncker may want to try elsewhere and get regular game time.

Thats the scenario where Emery might want him to stay whereas might want to leave.  Who knows what the real thought process is for both Emery and Dendoncker but we can’t automatically assume if Emery wants him to stay that he wants to.

All this is plausible but if you look back over the last 6 months Dendonker players when there is no other option! Even against Chelsea Unai risked Kamara before starting Donk. 

Im really struggling to understand why fans can’t accept a scenario where he is just surplus to requirements and has been told to find a new club.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

All this is plausible but if you look back over the last 6 months Dendonker players when there is no other option! Even against Chelsea Unai risked Kamara before starting Donk. 

Im really struggling to understand why fans can’t accept a scenario where he is just surplus to requirements and has been told to find a new club.  

I can, it’s definitely a possibility but my scenario is also possible.  As somebody mentioned a day or two ago that Emery at his last club liked to have 7 central midfielders, not all of them are going to be great are they. As you say he maybe surplus to requirements but he might not. I guess we’ll find out over time.  I’m not fussed either way.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Because we thought Kamara was fit in that game. He started dendoncker vs Newcastle in a crucial game that kept us in the European hunt. 

15 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Assuming he means us. Anyway, interesting link. 

Looked through his history, he doesn’t to get many things right.  He said Fab was wrong and Cucurella was going to stay at Brighton according to sources as one example

Hope he is more right on this

45 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Assuming he means us. Anyway, interesting link. 

Yes please! My only worry would be transitioning from Eredivisie to the Prem. 

He was one of the better players in the World Cup and he’s got a decent left foot on him plus he’s quite a versatile attacker, I’m sure he can even fill in at DM as a deep lying one?

I know it’s a forum but every thread being plagued by varying (but some repeat) individuals who make sweeping statements about players ability, intent or what Emery or his system will do with them is getting really, really, really boring. 

Speculate by all means, but don’t make statements you have absolutely no clue about as if it’s gospel! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, macandally said:

I know it’s a forum but every thread being plagued by varying (but some repeat) individuals who make sweeping statements about players ability, intent or what Emery or his system will do with them is getting really, really, really boring. 

Speculate by all means, but don’t make statements you have absolutely no clue about as if it’s gospel! 

Worst post EVER!!!! 😉

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Because we thought Kamara was fit in that game. He started dendoncker vs Newcastle in a crucial game that kept us in the European hunt. 

Only because both Bailey and Kamara were injured so he had to put McGinn on the right. Either one of them were fit he wouldn’t play. He had no choice but to start him!

So basically he played an attacking midfielder on the right but had Bailey been fit he would have played that same attacking midfielder in Donks position rather than Donk!!

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Only because both Bailey and Kamara were injured so he had to put McGinn on the right. Either one of them were fit he wouldn’t play. He had no choice but to start him!

So basically he played an attacking midfielder on the right but had Bailey been fit he would have played that same attacking midfielder in Donks position rather than Donk!!

Isn’t that how a squad works though? 

1 hour ago, sne said:

Maybe we could swing for the fences and try with Rafael Leao again :D. Tonali was supposedly on the no-sell list too so who knows what a new contract even means for them.

Totally, Tonali in some reports was in tears when the directors said they wanted to cash in on him. Will have an effect on the rest of the squad. We could do with Leao and Calabria ay? 😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Isn’t that how a squad works though? 

Play players out of position before players in their position ?

We were at bare bones mate. He had to play Donk, there was no other choice.  Next season the squad will be stronger and Donk won’t have a place in it.

The post i replied to made out he got selected because it was a crucial game.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2