Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

18 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Indeed, I just worry that if we don't get top 4 next season then Martinez might feel it's now or never for him to play Champions League football so we need to have a plan.  I wouldn't mind spending a bit on a young keeper like Mamardashvili or perhaps Bazunu and loan them back for 6 months/a season.  I wouldn't want to be scrambling round for a goalkeeper at short notice.

Would be a good shout. He’s young and highly rated. Loan him back to Valencia or another La Liga team for a season, and if Martinez gets itchy feet next summer, we have a ready made replacement.

36 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Tbf it's more than likely that most of these links are just downright fabrications for players we have zero interest in. 24/7 football social media journalism is an extremely oversaturated market and there are way too many journalists out there who are doing nothing but making crap up that sounds relatively feasible enough. Kone is 100% one of these: one look at our squad and it makes absolutely zero sense, given how we're arguably overloaded on CMs, so there's a very good chance that it's just fabricated nonsense: especially as it hasn't been done by Collomosse but a generic Mail journo. Us, Brighton and Newcastle get these sort of nonsensical links a lot due to our status as knocking on the door of elites.

Another example is, Ugarte: not a single Villa journalist with an ounce of reliability said that we were interested in him. Portuguese media strung out this whole saga between us and Spurs for weeks, while it turned out to be Chelsea and PSG!

I think a good tell to spot whether a journalist is unreliable and clearly making crap up is (other than the likes of Ornstein/Fabrizio) if they mysteriously have contacts that allow them to have information about transfers all over Europe. Unless you're at the top that's just not how it works. Bonus points if they never actually break exclusives themselves but coincidentally manage to obtain and publish additional 'information' about transfer links an hour/two after they're first broke. I'm looking at Konur and a loooot of Spanish outlets.

Buzz phrases that actually mean nothing like "keeping tabs on" or "monitoring" is another big one, as it's a great way to link a club to a player without actually committing to anything.

Compare the ruckus and the noise of the players linked this summer to the one deal that we actually got done this window: Tielemans. Other than the actual ITK who knew Tieleman's wife (which is quite a rare circumstance which a recruitment team can't account for), there was nothing more than a Gregg link a week before the signing and an Ornstein confirmation 30 minutes before it was officially announced. The media process for the deals that we actually get done are like night and day compared to the noise.

What an amazing post -- thanks! I got so much from that! That really explains so much.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Surely get an announcement tomorrow? First day of the transfer window and it’s also Wednesday 👀

I'd laugh my arse off l if we announced all the players PSG are supposedly signing instead of us

1 hour ago, useless said:

We're being linked by daily mail to Borussia Mönchengladbach young midfield ace Manu Koné, along with Wolves and Liverpool.

No chance. Klopp's been after him since the January window shut 

1 hour ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Could see this is we hadn’t just signed tielemans. Doesn’t make any sense now 

We could easily be selling half of the midfield deadwood come the summer and we absolutely need quality options that can play different midfield roles. I still expect us to sign another midfielder. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

What an amazing post -- thanks! I got so much from that! That really explains so much.

Thank you! Here's more. 😃

I think the general rule of thumb is that journalists who focus on a club/region (with the exception of the Birmingham Mail) are usually more reliable than 'generalist' ones (bar Ornstein/Romano). If you're a journalist who's got a high-level relationship with people at a club, making stuff up is a fast track to breaking that relationship very, very quickly. I think it's easy with Villa as you have the likes of Collomosse, Percy, Gregg and Maher who quite evidently have a pretty close relationship with the club, so they're not going to make crap up anytime soon.

Gregg in particular has been good lately. He gets a lot of flak (which at times may have been justified, particularly when he was working for the Brum M*il) and he clearly errs on the side of caution but the fact that he published a news article about Purslow's departure simultaneously with the club announcement and then one of his long-form pieces barely an hour later further confirms that he's very close to the club. His speciality isn't even transfer news anyway but long-form, almost biographical articles.

It's harder when it comes to non-English speaking media as any news (even if it ends up being legit) won't be leaked by our recruitment team/management but the other teams (if it is true at all). Combined with the generally less professional and reliable approaches within the likes of Spanish football media/reduced knowledge on the track record and reliability that a foreign journo has, it's good practice to just take it with a heap of salt.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Thank you! Here's more. 😃

I think the general rule of thumb is that journalists who focus on a club/region (with the exception of the Birmingham Mail) are usually more reliable than 'generalist' ones (bar Ornstein/Romano). If you're a journalist who's got a high-level relationship with people at a club, making stuff up is a fast track to breaking that relationship very, very quickly. I think it's easy with Villa as you have the likes of Collomosse, Percy, Gregg and Maher who quite evidently have a pretty close relationship with the club, so they're not going to make crap up anytime soon.

Gregg in particular has been good lately. He gets a lot of flak (which at times may have been justified, particularly when he was working for the Brum M*il) and he clearly errs on the side of caution but the fact that he published a news article about Purslow's departure simultaneously with the club announcement and then one of his long-form pieces barely an hour later further confirms that he's very close to the club. His speciality isn't even transfer news anyway but long-form, almost biographical articles.

It's harder when it comes to non-English speaking media as any news (even if it ends up being legit) won't be leaked by our recruitment team/management but the other teams (if it is true at all). Combined with the generally less professional and reliable approaches within the likes of Spanish football media/reduced knowledge on the track record and reliability that a foreign journo has, it's good practice to just take it with a heap of salt.

Yes, awesome! Thanks again! And you do suggest that there are Villatwitter guys who just sit there make shit up, right? Do I have that right? I believe you, but it just amazes me people would find that personally meaningful. Mental. What a bottomfeeder soulless way to live.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

We could easily be selling half of the midfield deadwood come the summer and we absolutely need quality options that can play different midfield roles. I still expect us to sign another midfielder. 

Luiz, kamara, tielemans, dendonker. Who’s the deadwood? I can’t see us spending a big chunk of the budget on another midfielder, definitely not for what kone will cost any at 

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

PSG will be without Messi, Mbappe and Neymar next season. They'll be a good team, but won't get anywhere near a CL.

I don’t watch much foreign football mate so you may be absolutely correct. 

But I was listening to talk shite the other day and the had a British “European expert on” (can’t remember his name) who was absolutely convinced that PSG would be stronger without Messi and Neymar. 

Hus argument was that all 3, Messi, Neymar and KM offer absolutely nothing without the ball, so whilst their magic gaurentees French lesgue success, “the team” gets found out against the best in Europe. 

Maybe they are going for a different approach? Similar to Madrid who seem to be going down the youth route 

28 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

No thanks.

I don't think anyone but Jadon really knows for sure what's going on with Jadon -- and maybe not even him. For the right deal, I could imagine him flourishing under Emery in a way that he wouldn't under ETH. He needs someone to walk him from his experience in Germany to the Premier League. He's really very young, to be fair, too. I honestly don't think anyone can say for sure how he would work out at Villa, but he would need to come at a reasonable price, and I don't think that will happen. Man United hasn't been a happy home. It's been a pretty screwed up family there in the last two years, and it's not the kind of supportive environment where I think Jadon would have a better chance. And now he's being linked to Tottenham? That seems arguably worse. Chelsea, too. Brighton or Villa would be much wiser moves for him if he wants this mojo back.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Luiz, kamara, tielemans, dendonker. Who’s the deadwood? I can’t see us spending a big chunk of the budget on another midfielder, definitely not for what kone will cost any at 

I assume Sanson & Nakamba?