Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

3 hours ago, thejoker said:

Maybe there is something in this…

I think so.

People seem to criticise us in MON years for attempting to do deep in 3 competitions with about 13-14 senior players and hardly any rotation unless we did actually want to get knocked out of the cups.

People do realise we lack depth if one of our main CMs is injured? Emery is obviously a fan and Tielemans style fits what he wants from a CM more than Dendoncker I think.

Point some are missing aswell is no chance Tielemans is starting in a current midfield with the half bothered performances he's been producing for Leicester for a fair amount of time so he's going to have to step back up to 2018-20 levels to be a regular starter here.

Seems I'm in the minority here but I think it's a very smart pick up. Trick here though is don't give him a five year deal as an unforeseen change of manager in near future and we might be stuck with someone who dosen't fit on a long term deal and we've had loads of those players in last decade.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, allani said:

Similar things were said of Drinkwater and Barkley.  I think players who (at least on the face of it) seem to have last their heart / drive are harder to bring back than players who have question marks over their physical fitness - for example God and Laursen were written off due to their injury record but their heart and desire was never in question.  I also don't mind players whose form might have dropped but you can still see that they are trying.  All the talk on Leicester sites seem to be that Tielemans has barely turned up for 2 seasons.  We don't want players who go missing at the first sign of not being happy with the way things are going. 

Neither Drinkwater or Barkley have the CV’s of Tielemans nor are they of the same quality.

People can say what they wish, but unless they have intimate knowledge of the club and the inner workings which 99.9% of fans don’t have, it’s all here say and gossip.

Its up to the Manager.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, babyblue said:

Monaco fans hated him, here he had a good 18 months. Outside of that he's also been poor. I seriously think he has a motivation problem. 

Eh... if you think this is what's happened to us and what's been the problem, I'm sorry but you're taking your information from the wrong people. 

Eh, I only need to look at the transfer market to see what’s happened at the club. There’s also the story of the manager giving a list of players to the club and going on holidays last season and signing none of them.

Its not rocket science.

10 hours ago, duke313 said:

Just had a look on their forum, some really bizarre comments on there about us, they seem really bitter.

Every team in the midlands region (west and east) have bitterness/jealousy towards Villa.  Stoke, Notts, Derby, Leicester, Coventry etc etc.  We are, by far, the biggest and most successful club in the region.  That region extends all the way down to the Watford gap and all the way up to the M56.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Neither Drinkwater or Barkley have the CV’s of Tielemans nor are they of the same quality.

People can say what they wish, but unless they have intimate knowledge of the club and the inner workings which 99.9% of fans don’t have, it’s all here say and gossip.

Its up to the Manager.

Both Barkley and Drinkwater probably have better CVs actually 😂

19 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

Every team in the midlands region (west and east) have bitterness/jealousy towards Villa.  Stoke, Notts, Derby, Leicester, Coventry etc etc.  We are, by far, the biggest and most successful club in the region.  That region extends all the way down to the Watford gap and all the way up to the M56.

And the humblest ... 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think so.

People seem to criticise us in MON years for attempting to do deep in 3 competitions with about 13-14 senior players and hardly any rotation unless we did actually want to get knocked out of the cups.

People do realise we lack depth if one of our main CMs is injured? Emery is obviously a fan and Tielemans style fits what he wants from a CM more than Dendoncker I think.

Point some are missing aswell is no chance Tielemans is starting in a current midfield with the half bothered performances he's been producing for Leicester for a fair amount of time so he's going to have to step back up to 2018-20 levels to be a regular starter here.

Seems I'm in the minority here but I think it's a very smart pick up. Trick here though is don't give him a five year deal as an unforeseen change of manager in near future and we might be stuck with someone who dosen't fit on a long term deal and we've had loads of those players in last decade.

I don’t think you are in the minority it’s just people have doubts if he will be good enough to be a starter.

I don’t think people are saying he isn’t good enough for the bench

1 hour ago, macandally said:

I am not sure why we are going through the annual “hand wringing” ritual.  I trust Emery 100% to get the right players in.

The one thing I do firmly believe, is that some of them we will complain about, forgetting he has already turned round not just one or two underperforming players, but a whole bloody team! 

I thoroughly look forward to seeing what this summer brings!

Because we are used to Bruce/Gerrard in recent years and the scramble to stay up under smith.

behavioural change takes time.

im more relaxed now, not relaxed…. Too many scars 😂

Just now, paul514 said:

I don’t think you are in the minority it’s just people have doubts if he will be good enough to be a starter.

I don’t think people are saying he isn’t good enough for the bench

Not everyone we sign this summer has to be a nailed on starter. We obviously need better in final third to support Ollie so that needs to be an automatic stater but if we signed another CB I'm not convinced they'd go straight in ahead of Konsa based on how he played last three months.

When you look at what was signed in January Arsenal signed Trossard who was in and out and same for Man. United with Sabitzer. Newcastle also signed Gordon who was very overpriced and he took about two months to start a game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Both Barkley and Drinkwater probably have better CVs actually 😂

Well I could sit on the bench at Chelski and collect medals and have a better CV, doesn’t mean I’m a good footballer.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Not everyone we sign this summer has to be a nailed on starter. We obviously need better in final third to support Ollie so that needs to be an automatic stater but if we signed another CB I'm not convinced they'd go straight in ahead of Konsa based on how he played last three months.

When you look at what was signed in January Arsenal signed Trossard who was in and out and same for Man. United with Sabitzer. Newcastle also signed Gordon who was very overpriced and he took about two months to start a game.

For me, we're looking for a maximum of two 'automatic starters' (RB and support-striker/whatever we're calling that role). The rest, as you say, is squad strengthening so we can rotate players to cope with fatigue without drastic drops in quality. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Yep that is a fair enough comment.

for what it’s worth, if people are still interested in cash I would sell him this summer as well as releasing young and bring in AWB and Liveramento

2 hours ago, trillvillan said:

Teun Koopmeiners - think he's brilliant and would be a tremendous player under Emery. Not sure how much he'd cost, but if we actually tried with Ugarte then I don't see why we couldn't afford Koopmeiners. 

We've been linked to him before, there was a lot of buzz around him before he went to atalanta, not heard much of him since

So, time for the annual "date of first signing" competition (which we might not have done before).

Given we're off to the US towards the end of July and we're playing at Walsall on 15th, I'd have thought we'd be back in training at some point reasonably early in July - I reckon we'd want to take signings with us to the US - so I'm going with....

18th June.

10 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

My worry is we need more pace through the side.

Tielemans is technically excellent but has all the pace of an Austin Allegro. And I’m not talking Vanden Plas.

We don't need pace in CM. We need pace everywhere else though

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So, time for the annual "date of first signing" competition (which we might not have done before).

Given we're off to the US towards the end of July and we're playing at Walsall on 15th, I'd have thought we'd be back in training at some point reasonably early in July - I reckon we'd want to take signings with us to the US - so I'm going with....

18th June.

Could do this as a sweepstake? Winner gets serious kudos? 

Edited by alreadyexists

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We've been linked to him before, there was a lot of buzz around him before he went to atalanta, not heard much of him since

Scored a hat trick at weekend to fire them to Europe

Liverpool and United have been chasing him too