Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

7 minutes ago, Creeper said:

Odds aren't 5/9 (I don't think thats even a possible set of odds) - it's 5/6 - (1.80) - Admittedly odds mean nothing anyway, but 1.8 isn't even a 

Any odds are possible. It's 1.56 return for 1 invested

• Like 1

Tielemans is still 25/26 isn't he?

Leicester should've cashed in last summer and he lost his way there in last 18 months but top quality when on form for them.

I can remember some ITK last August saying we were interested in him so perhaps this is more club/Lange deal regardless of who the coach is.

I actually don't think it would be a bad pickup. Guy with excellent premier league and european experience who can chip in with goals and decent passing and not like he'll just be starting every week if he's playing poorly given how much quality we've got in central midfield now.

Different profile but he could be Dendoncker's replacement for all we know. Or just replace Sanson and Nakamba in our general squad given both will be moving on permanently soon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Tielemans is 5/2 to join us so not odds on. Odds on football transfers are very random. We're currently about 6th in the betting odds to be Messi's next club!! 

Even if you factor in the Januzaj conundrum? 

15 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Doesn't change what I said.....

Most players in his position don't start playing 2500 mins a year until about 6/7 years AFTER he did.

What about Gareth Barry or James Milner?

14 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Who does he upgrade?  McGinn, Douglas Luiz, Kamara, & JJ are all better than him.  He's be fighting with Dendoncker for rotation spots, IMO.  

If Emery wants him, I'll 100% back him to be a success, but I don't think we'll be interested in any of Leicester's players.  

kamara, mcginn and JJ play in different positions. in terms of the '8' role we pretty much just have luiz and dendonker. seen our bench last few games? we need more squad depth

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Trying to think who he'd actually replace in the squad, he'd be mcginns back up wouldn't he?

On a free, no doubt decent wages, but that'd be an improvement, I'm sure at the end of the season our midfield options off the bench were dendoncker and Chambers

More Luiz if he gets injured or sent off imo (luckily his red cards always seem to get overturned).

He has plenty of european experience so we'll need that for games where a little less hustle and bustle and more control is required.

Hasn't Tielemens been heavily linked with Arsenal for years. Including in Jan? I thought it would be a foregone conclusion he'd join them. 

Not sure he is what we need. Unless he get him on a free and sell him 12 months later as an FPP play. Like Barcelona do!

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

kamara, mcginn and JJ play in different positions. in terms of the '8' role we pretty much just have luiz and dendonker. seen our bench last few games? we need more squad depth

Luiz also still on occasions plays as 6 for us so that's where a Tielemans option would help. We could just slot him in alongside Luiz rather than bring in Ramsey and McGinn from out wide if they're doing well in those positions like for last two months of the season.

Hopefully Kamara will be fully fit all next season but he did miss over a third of league games with three separate spells out injured so it would be good to have another international standard CM come in for those occasions.

Tielemans looked like he was destined for the top a few years ago, but he hasn’t been as good recently. He should be a top player but instead has been relegated with a whimper and has been singled out for a lot of criticism for appearing to down tools. I think there’s a question of his mentality to be honest, and he’s probably on a huge wages too as Leicester had the 7th highest wage bill in the league and he was their record signing so presumably one of their biggest earners

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Tielemans looked like he was destined for the top a few years ago, but he hasn’t been as good recently. He should be a top player but instead has been relegated with a whimper and has been singled out for a lot of criticism for appearing to down tools. I think there’s a question of his mentality to be honest, and he’s probably on a huge wages too as Leicester had the 7th highest wage bill in the league and he was their record signing so presumably one of their biggest earners

Only on £35k according to some sites

Just now, burchy said:

Only on £35k according to some sites

well based on him being at leicester for 4 years I think, you would assume that the wage is whatever he signed for.

35k seems very low though

13 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Not sure how Chelsea can buy anyone. They need to sell a few before the end of June or they're on their way to a points deduction.

I did wonder...

I think Chelsea are working the PR train to keep their name out there. There's no way they can buy anyone without selling at least 2 players for decent change.

• Like 1

I think we’re trying to stretch our budget with a free or two. I’d be happy with Tielemans as comp for that RM/McGinn role.

If we got him on a free I’d like us to try for Arda Guler though too. I know Newcastle are sniffing but he’d be a good young player to pick up now before his stock rises further. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yep.

Tielemans is a funny one. If we’d been linked 12 months ago, I’d have been delighted. Now it just seems a bit meh. He’s had a stinker of a season by all accounts. 

Could have said the same about half-a-dozen of our players during Gerrard's time

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m starting to think the standard is a lot more even with the top players now. You don’t have as many stand out stars like back in the day.  Teams like Chelsea are getting fleeced on players they could probably find similar quality for a lot less. Fernandaz being the most obvious example.  

Man U have spent more than any team in both wages and players over the last 10 years and have a few cups to show for it.  A team like Liverpool on the other hand have 3 champs league finals and a Premier League. 

Id argue the manager is more important than ever these days. 

Absolutely.

Look at someone like McGinn.

He's got a massive fat arse, and he's technically good striking a ball.

So all he does now under Emery is receive awkward long balls, holds off his man with his massive arse and pings/slides/curls nice passes up the pitch for us. 

And he's gone from deservedly being dropped to looking like a top 4 player the last 3/4 months.

The only thing we must avoid is totally wasting money. The players don't all have to be smash hit successes, we just cannot have another Coutinho or Digne in as a top earner that barely makes the bench when everyone is fit.

• Like 2

I’m actually quite excited about the prospect of signing Tielemans on a free, the guy is class IMO.

Sure, he hasn’t been in great form over the past 18 months, however I think that has more to do with the overall situation at Leicester rather than him personally. I also think he’s been (somewhat unfairly) made a scapegoat by certain sections of the Leicester fan base simply because he refused to sign a new deal. And in truth, the whole club has been in a period of rapid decline. 

Should he sign, I have every faith that Emery will be able to get him playing at his absolute best. 

• Like 2