Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

28 minutes ago, burchy said:

Just looked at Lo Celso’s stats compared to McGinn’s and they’re not that dissimilar to be honest with you.

His passing stats are ever so slightly higher, his tackling success rate is also a bit higher than McGinn’s, but that’s about it.

If we want an upgrade at RM I’m not sure he’s the answer, especially if you throw in players like Otavio, Veiga or Szboszlai, who all outperform both McGinn and Lo Celso. 

For me Lo Celso would be the more defensive RM we’d be bringing in, if we didn’t have McGinn and already had an Otavio or Szboszlai. In truth we already have that defensive option in McGinn. 

I’d like us to get a more attacking player in, but one that can also do the graft too. 

Also Lo Celso was consistently average to poor in the PL when he was here and yes it’s a few years on and it would be under a different manager in this league but he would be a big no for me as he seems no better than what we have on paper and has history in this league of being less than that.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Also Lo Celso was consistently average to poor in the PL when he was here and yes it’s a few years on and it would be under a different manager in this league but he would be a big no for me as he seems no better than what we have on paper and has history in this league of being less than that.

His injury record at spurs was horrible, at Betis he was a double figure goal scoring midfielder but since it’s been 0 to a goal a season clearly Emery rates him or he wouldn’t have signed him twice, I do think there are better options and better value elsewhere but if we were to sign him I’d back the club’s decision. I wouldn’t worry to much about players being able to cut it in the “best league in the world” (aka the premier league) as  it’s becoming more and more like La Liga each year.

• Like 1

I think Emery record of signings at Villarreal and his one Moreno signing at Villa gives me confidence in him and our good data team in making the required signings. 

Add to that how he's improved the players we have, I'd expect any signing that doesn't get the pulse going to turn out to be a success. 

I think we know our first choice midfield 4 at the moment. I want to be in a position where there are 6 players maybe 7 that are in free competition for the midfield roles. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

His injury record at spurs was horrible, at Betis he was a double figure goal scoring midfielder but since it’s been 0 to a goal a season clearly Emery rates him or he wouldn’t have signed him twice, I do think there are better options and better value elsewhere but if we were to sign him I’d back the club’s decision. I wouldn’t worry to much about players being able to cut it in the “best league in the world” (aka the premier league) as  it’s becoming more and more like La Liga each year.

If the club sign him then without doubt I trust Emery and back him.  Pre that, about links to players, this link just looks like a player not good enough.  I think the point about more like La Liga, I understand what you are saying but I think it’s La Liga on steroids.  It’s a mix of the incredible pace of English football, the tougher type of football and with the technical ability top European teams like the La Liga teams.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

If the club sign him then without doubt I trust Emery and back him.  Pre that, about links to players, this link just looks like a player not good enough.  I think the point about more like La Liga, I understand what you are saying but I think it’s La Liga on steroids.  It’s a mix of the incredible pace of English football, the tougher type of football and with the technical ability top European teams like the La Liga teams.

Yes that’s exactly the phrase to describe it.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So Pep's Barcelona in La Liga.

52 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Not directed solely at your post but points like this in general (even though you acknowledge that it was a few years ago).  

We have to take age and personal growth into consideration when a player ‘fails’ in their first spell in England goes abroad and then potentially comes back.

Toney was poor at Newcastle and he’s odds on (see what I did there!) at becoming a success at Brentford. 

If Don Unai feels he can get a tune out of Lo Celso then for me it’s not an underwhelming potential signing at all. I think it’d be a clever signing who provides very strong competition for our midfielders especially mcginn and Ramsey. 

As I said if Emery buys him I’ll completely back him.  At this point, I thought he wasn’t great at Spurs, doesn’t have the attributes for the PL and no better than what we have since imo.  Completely agree that some players do better second time around from Toney to De Bruyne to Salah as just a few examples but I’m sure there are just as many examples the opposite way.

He may be strong competition if I’m being generous to him but I’m hoping the players coming in will be, more often than not, players who are starters.  People are going to shout “we haven’t got that budget” but Moreno shows how much difference it can make without breaking the bank.

Anyway we are going to be linked with so many players, many former players under Emery and many not, yet buy very few so whoever he buys I’ll support.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Not directed solely at your post but points like this in general (even though you acknowledge that it was a few years ago).  

We have to take age and personal growth into consideration when a player ‘fails’ in their first spell in England goes abroad and then potentially comes back.

Toney was poor at Newcastle and he’s odds on (see what I did there!) at becoming a success at Brentford. 

If Don Unai feels he can get a tune out of Lo Celso then for me it’s not an underwhelming potential signing at all. I think it’d be a clever signing who provides very strong competition for our midfielders especially mcginn and Ramsey. 

Absolutely. If we judged players only on an unsuccessful spell in England when they were younger, then De Bruyne and Salah would not have been signed by City and Liverpool.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Completely agree.

Especially as under the previous regime we would have spunked £100m bringing in Joe Gomez, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Naby Keita.

Lol I was talking to my Leeds mate at pub tonight and referenced Naby Keita about how big clubs like Liverpool have spunked money on players that barely kick a ball

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Interesting. He came to us highly rated but none of the managers fancied him, despite his cameos looking fairly reasonable. I wonder what the issue is? 

Bizarre. He got injured twice one pre season didn't he?

7 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Makes you wonder about stats taken in isolation. Perhaps they need to be factored according to the league the player is in.

The likes of FBRef are an amazing resource - I use them all the time - but there is way too much of an over-emphasis put on them by fans, as there is so much more context needed to actually assess a player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1