Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

The difference is olise has done it in our league, bailey looked great in a different league. I would like olise, it's not my money but buying him even if we could would probably mean that's 2 or 3 we then can't afford. We are more team based now and moments of magic are not all we need.

Good point and I wished I had thought of Bailey in my comments a few pages back as an example.  I loved him at his previous club and was delighted/ecstatic we signed him but hasn’t looked a tenth of that player we brought since.  I think we’ll buy a mix of PL experience and foreign based players in the summer because it makes sense from a risk perspective but like the rest of us we have no idea what Emery/Club are going to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Good point and I wished I had thought of Bailey in my comments a few pages back as an example.  I loved him at his previous club and was delighted/ecstatic we signed him but hasn’t looked a tenth of that player we brought since.  I think we’ll buy a mix of PL experience and foreign based players in the summer because it makes sense from a risk perspective but like the rest of us we have no idea what Emery/Club are going to do.

I think the most important trait Emery will look for is players he knows will fit the system and take instruction or be able to be coached into his system.  Players he's worked with before would surely be a good place to start.  Players like Zaha etc can't see happening for instance 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

The difference is olise has done it in our league, bailey looked great in a different league. I would like olise, it's not my money but buying him even if we could would probably mean that's 2 or 3 we then can't afford. We are more team based now and moments of magic are not all we need.

Fair enough Graeme Souness

Lets release Moreno on free and get Targett back if thats the case.

Edited by SecretVillaScout
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

I think Nico Williams, Luiz Henrique, Chukwueze and Goncalves are much better players than Olise and Eze. And Cheaper! 

Not sure I agree, Messi. 

And even if they were, there is no guarantee that quality transfers to the PL. You pay a premium for a PL player because you know they can perform in the league to a certain level. 

Not saying we should/shouldn't sign Henrique, Chukwueze, Olise etc. just not sure I agree the players you mention are better than Olise/Eze. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I agree but some players you pay the premium and some you don’t.  Forget ESR, Olise or Eze, my point a few pages ago is still valid that sometimes you pay the premium if that’s the player/fit you want.

Anyway some agree with me, some don’t, it’s all just guess work at this stage.

Right, but the player you’re describing is literally players like Olise.

They are the best players at the clubs below us, and if we want them, because they fit our system/make us better, we have to overpay.

They alternative is to go abroad, and get a player as good as, for half the price. The risk in doing that, is they might not be cut out for the PL.

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Right, but the player you’re describing is literally players like Olise.

They are the best players at the clubs below us, and if we want them, because they fit our system/make us better, we have to overpay.

They alternative is to go abroad, and get a player as good as, for half the price. The risk in doing that, is they might not be cut out for the PL.

If we forget the players name ie ESR or Olise, then our arguments agree, it’s just we have views on individual players which is slightly different.

43 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I'm so relaxed about our summer transfer activity. Usually I get frustrated that the club aren't signing the type of player that we obviously need. Im confident that Emery knows exactly what to get and will identify quality additions, so am happy with whoever he decides on. 

Emery has earned our trust.

2 hours ago, Adman said:

I think the most important trait Emery will look for is players he knows will fit the system and take instruction or be able to be coached into his system.  Players he's worked with before would surely be a good place to start.  Players like Zaha etc can't see happening for instance 

Yep. Also intelligence to work in flexible systems. Eg chat about Pep and Kyle walker not being smart enough to play how he wants. 

Rather than spunk £40mill + on either Eze or Olise much rather we find the next ones and if Chelsea don’t sign him - Alex Matos sounds like a very exciting young prospect and fits the bill. 

11 hours ago, nick76 said:

Pros and Cons on both, I was using them as an example.  I don’t care really as long as we bring in quality and they are the players Emery wants.

You brought it up in the first place, I was merely adding my tuppence.

Why post if you don't care? Surely you post to solicit a response, huh?

Yeah trust in Emery, agreed. 👍 

14 hours ago, Enda said:

I knew kiwis were small and round and hairy but I never knew they were miserable all the time.

What the **** has this got to do with being miserable? I'm delighted with how the club is being run as opposed to some of the ideas put forward on here but I criticise the idea not the person like you chose to do. 

Edited by Kiwivillan

I’d be in for Alcaraz if Saints go down. Mentioned him back in November as a possible outside CM bet for us. I think he’ll turn out to be a great player. I like Danilo at Forest too, he’s in the same bracket.

It will be nice, with our recruitment team shaping up, to see us in for these types of players, especially from Brazil and Argentina, moving forward. 

5 minutes ago, burchy said:

I’d be in for Alcaraz if Saints go down. Mentioned him back in November as a possible outside CM bet for us. I think he’ll turn out to be a great player. I like Danilo at Forest too, he’s in the same bracket.

It will be nice, with our recruitment team shaping up, to see us in for these types of players, especially from Brazil and Argentina, moving forward. 

Villatalk Disagrees Sadly.
These lack "PL Experience". Best to sign Danny Drinkwaker, Ross Barkley, Dele Ali or Mason Mount.
Also Olise and Eze from 12th place Palace are better than Kvaratskhelia and Chukwueze. with the later lacking the midtable PL experience. 

• Haha 1