Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

39 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

The likes of Digne and Bailey are decent bench options. Their wages/transfer fee probably dont justify a limited role - but don't see any club willing to financially invest in them. 

These and silly Coutinho contracts may impact next window signings. Has anyone considered this?

19 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

These and silly Coutinho contracts may impact next window signings. Has anyone considered this?

Gerrard didn't. Because he played with Coutinho and he was great 9 years ago. So why wouldn't he be great now?

Purslow allowed and facilitated it.

20 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We might be able to sell Coutinho to a Saudi club. They like their big name players.

35 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Or signing coutinho increased our commercial revenue and market share meaning we actually have more money to spend in the summer...

Football finances are a funny game, I'm sure we'll be ok this summer

I'm convinced we'll go for a CF with attributes akin to Kane, a player who drops deep to link up player and drop into the hole between the two lines. I think the player will be tall so they can help win direct balls out from the back once we trigger the high press we play the ball over them

In fairness, the wages Coutinho and Digne are on, are common wages across the PL with senior players at big clubs.

The figures just seem outlandish for us due to where we are coming from and our normal structure.

With increased income, especially if we qualify for Europe, I think we should be fine to bring players in.

I'm sure we have assets we can sell or let off to offset anyway though.

5 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

The likes of Digne and Bailey are decent bench options. Their wages/transfer fee probably dont justify a limited role - but don't see any club willing to financially invest in them. 

I’d like us to offload Bailey to Ajax and for us to take Kudus off their hands. Even if it’s a loan with an option to buy in place. I think he’d do well in Holland. 

I think they were interested previously. 

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In fairness, the wages Coutinho and Digne are on, are common wages across the PL with senior players at big clubs.

The figures just seem outlandish for us due to where we are coming from and our normal structure.

That's the reason those clubs are struggling with hundreds of millions in debt. Stupid contracts.

United trying to sell 13 players this summer. Chelsea need £100m by June or they're in serious trouble.

Giving out those contracts is not a problem if the players contribute. Coutinho and Digne are passengers.

If we get it wrong this summer and put two more pointless players on giant deals, we're killing our future spending again. Cannot happen.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

With increased income, especially if we qualify for Europe, I think we should be fine to bring players in.

I'm sure we have assets we can sell or let off to offset anyway though.

Europa league money isn't much to write home about sadly. Something like £3m+£500k per win. Up to about £15m if we were to win the whole thing.

Huge potential financial upside wouldn't come from winning it in of itself, but getting into the Champions League the winners route.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, burchy said:

I think Watkins form might impact our striker search a little, so we might end up going for a relatively unknown, supported by Archer/Duran

We need to replace bailey with a top forward and that will be our signature buy this summer , maybe its Nico Williams £43m and then a new RB … Followed by a 21/22 yr old dominant central mid and a back up GK…. Any more you reckon?? … bare in mind we’ve just signed a forward in Duran who albeit is not ready to start each game but will be back up to whoever we sign.

6 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Digne, bailey, coutinho are decent backups but financially would make sense to try and sell them all in the summer. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Digne, bailey, coutinho are decent backups but financially would make sense to try and sell them all in the summer. 

Personally I'd keep Digne and Coutinho for their experience which would be invaluable if we get to Europe.

Bailey can go though I've seen enough, I think our main priority has to be a better version of him? Pedro Gonçalves perhaps, although he seems predominately left-sided?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

That's the reason those clubs are struggling with hundreds of millions in debt. Stupid contracts.

United trying to sell 13 players this summer. Chelsea need £100m by June or they're in serious trouble.

Giving out those contracts is not a problem if the players contribute. Coutinho and Digne are passengers.

If we get it wrong this summer and put two more pointless players on giant deals, we're killing our future spending again. Cannot happen.

Europa league money isn't much to write home about sadly. Something like £3m+£500k per win. Up to about £15m if we were to win the whole thing.

Huge potential financial upside wouldn't come from winning it in of itself, but getting into the Champions League the winners route.

Agree with all of this. 
We need to offload Digne and Coutinho in the Summer along with the fringe players - Sanson, Davis, Chambers, Traore, Olson etc. 

We then replace with 3/4 quality additions that will contribute more and also bring back Archer/Iroegbunam to integrate into the side. That's if we get into Europe. If we don't, I'm much happier having a small squad of players and the youngsters going back out on loan.  

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Chukwueze and Williams. Would we get both?

Chukwueze would probably slot straight into the first team and would cost less, Williams has huge potential but I think a degree of patience would be needed with him in his first season as he’s young and would take time to adapt to the Premier League. Knowing Villatalk both would replace Buendia and Bailey as the weekly scapegoats……

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Chukwueze would probably slot straight into the first team and would cost less, Williams has huge potential but I think a degree of patience would be needed with him in his first season as he’s young and would take time to adapt to the Premier League. Knowing Villatalk both would replace Buendia and Bailey as the weekly scapegoats……

Interesting. I do find it funny when people use the word scapegoat on here. I don’t think people understand how it’s supposed to be used.

When players play poorly and we lose, posters pick up on it and comment on it. When players play poorly and we win, posters pick up on it and comment on it.

Bailey has been mostly dreadful this season. He’s not a scapegoat, he’s just not good enough at this level and people are commenting on it. I’m not sure Buendia has ever been a ‘scapegoat’. I think most of the posts on here have been very supportive even after poor performances. Lately though, I think he’s been very good and much improved.

Not a dig at you btw! 

• Like 1