Artwork connected to closest major river

Marka Ragnos

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Anyways, this is somewhere up around the Great Barr/Handsworth border and if you got yourself a boat and set off now, you'd be at Villa Park before you know it.

image.png

For fact fans. In the 70s this river won the title of Dirtiest River in Europe. The sewage works that empties into in was just across the fields at the back of our house. The river literally ran grey and nothing grew on it's banks. It obviously stunk to high heaven and no fish lived in it. That was my playground as a kid. Then we joined the EU and eventually it was much improved. I'm so glad we've left the EU again because soon I'll be able to visit and be able to experience that smell and utter greyness again. I can feel a wave of nostalgia sweeping over me as I think about it

Other almost facts, where the river runs through Sandwell Valley and it's surrounds always for me marks the boundary between Yam Yam and Yam Not

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

For fact fans. In the 70s this river won the title of Dirtiest River in Europe. The sewage works that empties into in was just across the fields at the back of our house. The river literally ran grey and nothing grew on it's banks. It obviously stunk to high heaven and no fish lived in it. That was my playground as a kid. Then we joined the EU and eventually it was much improved. I'm so glad we've left the EU again because soon I'll be able to visit and be able to experience that smell and utter greyness again. I can feel a wave of nostalgia sweeping over me as I think about it

Other almost facts, where the river runs through Sandwell Valley and it's surrounds always for me marks the boundary between Yam Yam and Yam Not

It was still the UK's dirtiest river in 2017 apparently, but this has now been fixed through the introduction of some lakes further up that soak up some of the bad or some other river management voodoo.

It definitely works as a border! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Stenbron av Robert Stålbro

It's a painting that a friend of mine (Robert Stålbro) made of the old stone bridge over the Klarälven that runs through Karlstad.

Edited by sne
  • Like 3

I previously posted a painting of the river Glomma, Norway’s longest river, which happens to meander westward just enough to be not too far from my house as the crow flies, certainly the closest river I could easily find an artistic representation of. Now, despite Glomma’s relative geographical proximity, I have no personal connection to it. Another relatively nearby river is the river closest to my heart, and it also happens to have been painted by my all time favourite painter. See if you can guess the river and the artist (I’m looking at you @mjmooney): 

54A6779B-8A95-44A4-A676-56E093269CD5.jpeg.7188ba95a5bafc53d0726b77efd8d291.jpeg

Edited by El Zen

5 hours ago, El Zen said:

I previously posted a painting of the river Glomma, Norway’s longest river, which happens to meander westward just enough to be not too far from my house as the crow flies, certainly the closest river I could easily find an artistic representation of. Now, despite Glomma’s relative geographical proximity, I have no personal connection to it. Another relatively nearby river is the river closest to my heart, and it also happens to have been painted by my all time favourite painter. See if you can guess the river and the artist (I’m looking at you @mjmooney😞

54A6779B-8A95-44A4-A676-56E093269CD5.jpeg.7188ba95a5bafc53d0726b77efd8d291.jpeg

Nope, not a scooby. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Nope, not a scooby. 

It’s Oslo’s main river and Norway’s (and indeed one of the world’s) most celebrated painter 😊

It should be said that the painting I posted is an early work and not really representative of the style he became famous for. 

Spoiler

The river is Akerselva and the artist is Edvard Munch. 

28 minutes ago, El Zen said:

It’s Oslo’s main river and Norway’s (and indeed one of the world’s) most celebrated painter 😊

It should be said that the painting I posted is an early work and not really representative of the style he became famous for. 

Hide contents

Yeah but most people only know that one painting.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Hide contents

I did think it must be Munch, and got as far as Googling Munch river landscapes before I gave it up as a bad job. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yeah but most people only know that one painting.

Which is a shame. 

Makes me want to scream

Edited by El Zen
  • Haha 1

Â