Álex Moreno

Delphinho123

I like the attacking threat he offers, but he needs to sort out those defensive weaknesses or he will be targeted constantly by other sides. Hoping it's just a case of settling in, although I think he was known in Spain for having defensive frailties.

Not sure what I think. He'll no doubt be involved in some great goals at some point, but full backs do need to be able to defend...

• Like 3

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

I have this nagging feeling we’ll want to change LB again soon.

Really? Mistake aside he was unbelievable when’s the last time a fullback created that many chances ? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I like the attacking threat he offers, but he needs to sort out those defensive weaknesses or he will be targeted constantly by other sides. Hoping it's just a case of settling in, although I think he was known in Spain for having defensive frailties.

Not sure what I think. He'll no doubt be involved in some great goals at some point, but full backs do need to be able to defend...

As others have pointed out, while we're a 4-4-2 in defence, we play 3 in the back in the build up, and it's asymmetrical, more often with the left back pushing forward since Bailey provides the width on the right. But as you said, your LB still needs to be able to defend.

The irony is that, on their 4th goal today, it wasn't his defending that was the problem. He beat his mark to the ball but his ball control was poor.

• Like 1

Similar traits to Digne defensively but I'm hoping he will adapt and have that coached into him under Emery. 

Going forward he is a monumental upgrade. Should have had 2 assists yesterday. Took the piss out of Castagne for most of the second half. 

12 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Similar traits to Digne defensively but I'm hoping he will adapt and have that coached into him under Emery. 

Going forward he is a monumental upgrade. Should have had 2 assists yesterday. Took the piss out of Castagne for most of the second half. 

I think we should just convert Moreno to a wide forward. 

13 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I think we should just convert Moreno to a wide forward. 

That’s why we signed him to provide width on the left , his heat map showed that he spent the majority of his time in the final third.

• Like 1

I fint it a bit odd that we've spent £40m upgrading from Targett, to Digne, to Moreno, for what look like marginal gains, while there are much more pressing concerns all over the pitch.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Risso said:

I fint it a bit odd that we've spent £40m upgrading from Targett, to Digne, to Moreno, for what look like marginal gains, while there are much more pressing concerns all over the pitch.

I think getting rid of Targett and bringing in Moreno weren't particularly strange moves. It's the Digne signing that's looking like an expensive flop. Massive wage bill, injury prone, and probably past his best.

Also, Emery likes to sub his full backs or bring an extra full back on as a winger, so he needs 2 decent options at both RB and LB.

My guess is we'll sell Digne in the summer unless he finds form, and then bring in another LB to compete with Moreno.

Digne looks to cross, Moreno looks to get to the byline and either cut back or flash it back across the six yard box. Moreno is better in congested areas due to his superior pace and agility. For what he does Digne needs to do better defensively. Moreno gets further forward and links up very well but leaves space to attack as a result.

We play with a double pivot and our wide midfielders work hard and want to be more central so we have ample cover for a marauding fullback. I felt Moreno gave us better balance going forward. We lost that Balance a bit when Bailey was taken off.

Digne is more comparable to Targett. Targett wants to play like Moreno, but is to slow a cumbersome in comparison. Digne is a better crosser than Targett, they all have their defensive frailties. Targett gets murdered everytime he is left exposed one on one against pace. Moreno, lacks a defenders instincts, and Digne in rash, has poor communication.

• Like 1

Â