World Cup: Matches

Genie

43 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Argentina v Mexico as the chance to be a cracking game, hope it lives up to the promise. 

So far, it’s been a lot bullshit. I don’t know if there’s a lot of cheating or a lot of diving, or what, but it feels like the match is still not quite got off the ground.

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Give me a break , Messi has been kept virtually quiet in every World Cup he's been in. Ask the Argentinians who they revere more? There opinion will tell you everything. 

If you want to forensically look at Diego’s contribution to Argentina ( the good and bad ) Missed a penalty in the shootout against Yugoslavia in the QF in 1990. Failed a drug test after the Greece game in ‘94 that threw Argentina into disarray and they never recovered during that World Cup. 

• Haha 1

No climbing down, you can see for yourself the admiration the Argies have for Maradona. The facts are, Messi has never done it on the biggest football stage of all. Two different eras also, but Marradona' s era was a lot tougher. No way were the players protected like today. And take a look at the pitch where Maradona scored his second goal against England.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Because he’s been kept quiet by Mexico , at 35 ? Jesus, your harsh . Diego had a fair few mares and was a filthy drug cheat. Can’t hold a candle to Messi. 

To be fair, I'd take prime Maradona over Prime Messi myself all day 

Probably due to nostalgia though.

Jamaicans properly loved Maradona and are massive Argentina fans.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Just now, Johnnyp said:

If you want to forensically look at Diego’s contribution to Argentina ( the good and bad ) Missed a penalty in the shootout against Yugoslavia in the QF in 1990. Failed a drug test after the Greece game in ‘94 that threw Argentina into disarray and they never recovered during that World Cup. 

But still won it for them singlehandedly. Look how many Maradona pictures are in that crowd. You're chatting bubbles. 

• Like 1

i cant decide if Argentina are semi hindered by the spectre of Messi (ie: its like they cant express themselves unless Messi is at the head of it - like a self-fulfilling trap), or whether Messi has carried an Argentina side that isnt quite as good as ppl think they are.

Argentina certainly dont look very good over 1.5 games now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, I'd take prime Maradona over Prime Messi myself all day 

Probably due to nostalgia though.

Jamaicans properly loved Maradona and are massive Argentina fans.

I'd defo pick prime Messi myself.

• Like 1