Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'd love to read that thread but as I don't have a Twitter account I am no longer able to thanks to Elon. 

Fairly sure same person has put thread on… threads

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

Actually I'm not sure you can read anything more than the initial "post" on Threads either. 

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Does anybody actually use Threads? They haven't implemented a Following timeline, or even an ability to search, despite promises that they would. I've barely looked at the thing since it went live.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Does anybody actually use Threads? They haven't implemented a Following timeline, or even an ability to search, despite promises that they would. I've barely looked at the thing since it went live.

I think people have signed up and are awaiting developments. People will transition when functionality is increased, most people have just claimed their account for now I think

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It's really an unpleasant situation right now. Things just feel very diffused and confused in the world of social media. I actually used to like Twitter (I have a struggling little account) and never liked Instagram -- my life is too boring for lots of photos of my breafast, etc. Threads still is basically Instagram to me. The people I know on there who post are just putting exactly what they usually put on 'Gram on Threads. I don't get it yet. I would appreciate desktop web access to Threads -- maybe I missed that or it's coming?  But the blue checkmark-tied post-promoting on Twitter is also just ruining it. All the diarrhoea is floating to the top of the toilet water. We've seen it just in football twitter. All these stupid trolls posting lies are getting all the audience -- and lies flow with 100% impunity. What's the point? I have trouble finding posts I care about on Twitter, too, because there's so much garbage to wade through.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

8 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I think this was a strategic error. If they'd have released the fully baked version on launch people might have leaped in. As it stands a lot of people seem to have had a look, gone "meh" and moved on. 

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

A threads timeline was implemented yesterday. 

Ok, well, I don't see it. Guess it's rolling out slowly?

And until you can search then it's still useless.

I agree with @sidcow I'd they'd had this functionality there at the start it would have made a big difference.

I'll be sticking to Mastodon myself in the interim which I still really like.

Not sure I'll keep my Twitter accounts much longer.... Especially if Elon is trying to make it a "financial superstore"

So before Musk took over formerly known as Twitter to 'save free speech' (read: let right wing lunatics spread disinfo) the company agreed to remove about 50% of all content due to government censure in places like India and Turkey.  Since he took over this percentage has risen to 83%. 

Funnily enough almost all of the agreed censure is criticizing far right pseudo-dictatorships, while the remaining 17% is mainly right wing voices being allowed to spread conspiracy theories or racism.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

I believe Musk posted the other day to say that the covid vaccine can’t be ruled out as the cause of Lebron James’s 18 year old son’s heart attack.

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I believe Musk posted the other day to say that the covid vaccine can’t be ruled out as the cause of Lebron James’s 18 year old son’s heart attack.

He's right though. 

Equally Cheeseburgers and steak can't be ruled out either though. 

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

He's right though. 

Equally Cheeseburgers and steak can't be ruled out either though. 

Yeah, but he knows what he’s doing (whilst also not being factually incorrect).

Do we need a return to the old fashioned public information film?

Charlie says you have filters use them, and Charlie also says if you follow shallow shite you’re gonna see shallow shite that isn’t real so don’t trust the internet its just a toy.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Do we need a return to the old fashioned public information film?

Charlie says you have filters use them, and Charlie also says if you follow shallow shite you’re gonna see shallow shite that isn’t real so don’t trust the internet its just a toy.

Yes. Kinda funny that Joe public felt insulted that The Government had to direct them on simple messages, yet Joe Public generally needs direction with simple messages on account of being mainly thick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Musk seems to be having an ongoing fight with the San Francisco police department too. 
I predict within 48 hours they’ll be taking that sign down because the correct permit was not applied for.

Edited by Genie
  • Shocked 1

Â