Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Enda said:

Do you think Pep would have done as well with relegation-threatened Villa as Emery has?

I’m very skeptical. Pep may be the better manager but he might not be the best for a club of our size/budget.

Might be subjective…

until Pep (loved him at Barca but look at the players he had, not just Messi. City have changed him…for the worse..) takes on a perceived underdog or overachieves with a less established or top level, successful club… can be really be compared with certain others? Did nothing remarkable or revolutionary at Bayern really… others fared even better. It’s what he did at Barca that is most impressive and deserves most credit. 👏

Managers at 115 Charges FC already won things, and spent less - especially on a defence that he struggled with - before he came along… he’s been like a kid in a toy shop with a blank cheque over there…

What Unai has done with teams like Sevilla and Villareal, and what he is doing with us, is remarkable and outstanding… maybe that kind of thing deserves more praise… 

Maybe Pep is the best (not Cruyff?) but no one can deny that he has been afforded luxuries that barely any manager has ever had… he’s had it good at every club he’s been at. There’s an argument over whether Klopp is better and has achieved more with what he had (not a fan personally, these guys have huge egos and act like idiots under pressure or display too much arrogance or try to forcefully exert influence) in comparison.

Managers in other leagues get discounted too often too… how about Ancelotti, Lippi… for example? Mancini deserve any credit for coming in to City and turning them into champions? Winning the Euros with an unfancied Italy? And managers who’ve pulled teams up and transformed them from obscurity or decline… there are many factors to take into account.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Anyway… back to Unai and back to this… loved the way he kind of dismissed the question about who he wants or deserves to win the Champions League… he doesn’t have the time or interest to bother about such things and prefers to enjoy… and “I want to win with Aston Villa” 😁 ♥️ 

FLIPPING LOVE HIM!

• Like 1

He never uses the word deserve that so many coaches do these days. Not interested in xG. He knows that the team that wins deserves it. Its key for us for the no excuses culture. For other coaches like Poch it just gives an excuse to kick the can down the road. That ' things will get better' . 

10 hours ago, Biskitt said:

Interesting article here about our possession and conserving energy.

Martinez has the most time on the ball of all players in the premier league and Pau and Konsa also rank in the top 10 which allows us the team to have a break. Only 3 teams have covered less ground than us this season as well.

Smarter not harder

In most of our Conference League games this season, even though we've won most of them, we've seemed like we're playing in 2nd gear. Lille away especially it felt like we were doing the bare minimum. Do wonder now if it was a conscious choice.

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

In most of our Conference League games this season, even though we've won most of them, we've seemed like we're playing in 2nd gear. Lille away especially it felt like we were doing the bare minimum. Do wonder now if it was a conscious choice.

Resting in possession is absolutely a thing under Unai. I guess you could use it to ding him, since Villa isn't going to give you an amazing performance every time out. The pluses are numerous though. Can beat teams at a trot, most PL wins in Villa history, most goals scored...... 

Sitting here thinking resting in possession is an obvious tactical response to the high pressing craze sweeping football. Unai has been doing this for years which that just shows his level of tactical genius. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enda said:

Do you think Pep would have done as well with relegation-threatened Villa as Emery has?

I’m very skeptical. Pep may be the better manager but he might not be the best for a club of our size/budget.

Well that's it really - it's completely situational. Emery was likely the best we could have got considering his experience and our standing at the time.

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

The best… IF he’s working with the world’s best players and/or IF he gets to spend the odd billion or close to it….

I prefer the managers who can get the best out of what they have and then add the right quality sensibly and intelligently… coaching above spending…

No chequebook managers or those who throw players under the bus without a second thought or chance. N no screaming, bitching, whining, fake arseholes.

Unai is elite, no one compares for me and I wouldn’t trade him for ANYONE… a match made in heaven that can hopefully last for a long while… a proper era of enjoyment, excitement, entertainment and success… and major progress.

Also a massive bonus to have the most throughly decent, genuine, dedicated, honest, hardworking, classy, dignified, humble, meticulous, good, honest, dignified man we could possibly ever have in charge… He puts them all to shame and I flipping love it. 

Unai must be cherished and adored. 

As I said, I wouldn't swap him in our situation.

I do think it's foolish to dismiss the achievements of Guardiola though. If anyone could have done it, there would be many more examples of managers like him - but there aren't. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

As I said, I wouldn't swap him in our situation.

I do think it's foolish to dismiss the achievements of Guardiola though. If anyone could have done it, there would be many more examples of managers like him - but there aren't. 

I’m not dismissing anything… just think context is required.

Haven’t hated on him. But yeah… not sure he would have done as well as Unai if he had to work within the same parameters and facing the same challenges and restrictions.

30 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He never uses the word deserve that so many coaches do these days. Not interested in xG. He knows that the team that wins deserves it. Its key for us for the no excuses culture. For other coaches like Poch it just gives an excuse to kick the can down the road. That ' things will get better' . 

He’s the only one who says “we have to accept” too…

”we have to respect”…

just a top bloke, coach and manager…

I love his constant emphasis on “demanding” too…

and his line that the players should know and question “why” when it comes to what they are learning and what their roles and responsibilities are…

48 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Resting in possession is absolutely a thing under Unai. I guess you could use it to ding him, since Villa isn't going to give you an amazing performance every time out. The pluses are numerous though. Can beat teams at a trot, most PL wins in Villa history, most goals scored...... 

Sitting here thinking resting in possession is an obvious tactical response to the high pressing craze sweeping football. Unai has been doing this for years which that just shows his level of tactical genius. 

Even now when we lose you get fans on here questioning the desire for not working hard enough, seemingly not running through brick walls etc, when in reality we have done the same thing as usual for a reason, to not waste energy needlessly.  We optimise the work we do and it's shown by how many goals we've scored and points won/rescued right at the end of the game even when we haven't played well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Even now when we lose you get fans on here questioning the desire for not working hard enough, seemingly not running through brick walls etc, when in reality we have done the same thing as usual for a reason, to not waste energy needlessly.  We optimise the work we do and it's shown by how many goals we've scored and points won/rescued right at the end of the game even when we haven't played well.

There was a perfect example of this v Bournemouth. McGinn cut a ball out in his own half and passed it forward, he then started to run forward but Emery stopped him and McGinn acknowledged it by putting his arm out.

He has us playing clever, especially with all the extra games

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Biskitt said:

Interesting article here about our possession and conserving energy.

Martinez has the most time on the ball of all players in the premier league and Pau and Konsa also rank in the top 10 which allows us the team to have a break. Only 3 teams have covered less ground than us this season as well.

Smarter not harder

It is a really interesting article and it highlights some of the points I've mentioned previously about conserving energy.

It gives me hope that what we are doing is more sustainable than the likes of Newcastle, a high-intensity press resulting in a lot of chaotic high-energy games is not sustainable, as they are finding out with injuries/tiredness and additional games in Europe really having had a detrimental effect on their season.

We've also had a bad season for injuries, but it does feel more like bad luck than anything else, Mings, Buendia, Ramsey and Moreno's injuries were all pretty much before the season started, so not through being overworked, we've had a few muscle injuries (Torres, Digne) but nowhere near the extent of Newcastle and I'd imagine less than most teams. Kamara's injury could happen to anyone at any time really. The fact we are still going strong at this late stage, without really being able to rotate much because of injuries is incredible when you think about it. Emery is very experienced in managing league and European workloads, and it's really impressive how his system accommodates these rest periods in-game. 

I hope articles like this crop up a bit more and continue to educate the fans about what we are trying to do, I think the crowd have got a lot better at understanding the need for playing it out from the back, and are a lot more patient than they used to be.

I think any team that wants to consistently challenge the top 4 places has to be very savvy in the transfer market, because you can't compete with those above/around you thanks to FFP, and you have to manage the gruelling Europa, or Conference League campaign that you invariably get on your way up the ladder. Emery has proven to be brilliant at both so far.

He's just doing an incredible job and deserves every bit of praise that comes his way.

• Like 2

Decent bit of insight here such as the relationship between Uani, Vidagany and Monchi… and how Unai was impressed by Rogers and they got the deal sorted for him…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jareth said:

Pep could not do what Unai has done, it would not be the correct project for that manager. Can Unai do what Pep has done? Undoubtedly.

I have some doubts. 

I think the management of big ego players at somewhere like Man City (or Arsenal or PSG) takes a different style of management than what Emery provides. 

Emery’s ultra detailed approach seems to work best with players who are more humble and willing to take it on board. From what I understand, the players at Arsenal didn’t bother with all the extra hours of homework Emery sets for his players and ultimately would not buy into his philosophy.

It seems like there are ‘horses for courses’ amongst football managers, not a stand alone ‘best manager in the world’. 

• Like 4

Â