Unai Emery

PeterSw

15 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

When I think about it, he's managed 25 games last season so same ppg in each 25 game stint. 1.96 x 38 games is 74pts. 3pts more than the highest 4th place total last 5 seasons. 

FWIW I think we’d have to drop to around 1.35PPG for the rest of the season to NOT get 5th place

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Masterclass today.  Didn't throw Tim into the line of fire, and the team as a whole performed beautifully.  Yes, we may come to regret him not giving Tim more minutes if we're forced to play him in a game or twos time, but it was vitally important we got 3 points today. 

He set the mindset we needed, and got the players to overcome the massive injustice we've faced from recent injuries and terrible refereeing.

He's so good at preventing a rot and getting a reaction. I love him. 

• Like 4

The Unai effect courtesy of Leon Bailey...

"The first season here was really bad for me. He [Emery] has improved every single player, not just the players, but the staff, everything around this football club."

• Like 1

Unai sort of rubs his face a lot. He grabs at it and pokes it and drags his two finger tips along his jawline frequently in interviews. My son does the same thing, I've noticed. Just an observation, no disrespect meant. Anyone else notice this?

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Unai sort of rubs his face a lot. He grabs at it and pokes it and drags his two finger tips along his jawline frequently in interviews. My son does the same thing, I've noticed. Just an observation, no disrespect meant. Anyone else notice this?

spacer.png

It's a concentration thing I think when he speaks English would need to see if its the same when he speaks Spanish.

Love him more and more each day!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

It's a concentration thing I think when he speaks English would need to see if its the same when he speaks Spanish.

Love him more and more each day!

I thought so too, but I found this Spanish press conference where he shows all the same mannerisms: there's the nose scratching, the cheek pinching (which is in the thumbnail!) and the chin rubbing throughout.

I love him. What a guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wishywashy said:

In Emery's case I do think it might be a stim. Especially as it's usually way more pronounced and aggressive when he's stressed (he was practically rubbing his chin off in the interview following the Boxing Day United game), which is a key element of stimming.

As someone on the spectrum myself, I would be a bit surprised if he wasn't neurodivergent to some degree (although stimming by itself is obviously not uncommon at all among pretty much everyone). He's habitual, incredibly detail-oriented and clearly an extreme obsessive. I read in a Spanish piece a few months back that despite the day being a Spanish holiday, he once came home so late from analysing an opponent that his now ex-wife made him sleep in the car.

Neurodivergence is probably more common in elite sport than people think imo: some of the traits associated with neurodivergent conditions (like those above) feel like they can end up being very beneficial in that sort of environment. I know Gerrard and Beckham are two of the more high-profile players to have talked about having OCD, for example.

Of course, I'm not a professional, so please don't take this as fact: just my feelings on it.

Big respect for your openness about your experience, too. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wishywashy said:

In Emery's case I do think it might be a stim. Especially as it's usually way more pronounced and aggressive when he's stressed (he was practically rubbing his chin off in the interview following the Boxing Day United game), which is a key element of stimming.

As someone on the spectrum myself, I would be a bit surprised if he wasn't neurodivergent to some degree (although stimming by itself is obviously not uncommon at all among pretty much everyone). He's habitual, incredibly detail-oriented and clearly an extreme obsessive. I read in a Spanish piece a few months back that despite the day being a Spanish holiday, he once came home so late from analysing an opponent that his now ex-wife made him sleep in the car.

Neurodivergence is probably more common in elite sport than people think imo: some of the traits associated with neurodivergent conditions (like those above) feel like they can end up being very beneficial in that sort of environment. I know Gerrard and Beckham are two of the more high-profile players to have talked about having OCD, for example.

Of course, I'm not a professional, so please don't take this as fact: just my feelings on it.

Really nice post, but I think it’s most likely a language thing.

If you watch some more of his TV interviews in Spanish (eg at Villarreal) he often speaks in a much more confident, relaxed way, a lot of the tics disappear.

Speaking a foreign language is stressful, especially if you aren’t very fluent and are constantly translating everything in your head… he’s probably self conscious of making mistakes or being misquoted, so he puts a lot of effort into it, and I think that’s where all the things you’re talking about suddenly show up.

The obsessive thing makes more sense, though, he’s definitely one of those coaches who is thinking about his job 24/7. I think because he’s a perfectionist it’s particularly overwhelming for him to give interviews in English, because he likes to give good interviews and knows he isn’t always doing his ideas justice.

Thankfully the results do most of the talking for him.

Edited by KentVillan

59 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Taken from Football365 manager rankings (Unai ranked first):

https://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-manager-rankings-arteta-jumps-moyes-plummets

This is such a good post. It’s right that whilst supporters may think we are punching above our weight it’s not like it’s a shock to see Villa near the top half of the table again. It feels like the norm.

So easy to forget we were in the Championship not long ago and then stayed up on goal difference first year back.  Amazing progress.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Taken from Football365 manager rankings (Unai ranked first):

https://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-manager-rankings-arteta-jumps-moyes-plummets

This sums up every Villa fan's experience in recent times very well. I think the reason the losses are so hard to take nowadays is partly because the turn around he has engineered in our fortunes is just so spectacular.

You don't exactly 'expect us to win' because the memories of the suffering are not that deeply buried, but there is a strong sense that everything he offers means there is no logical reason why we should lose!

Edited by Lerner's Driver
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Really nice post, but I think it’s most likely a language thing.

If you watch some more of his TV interviews in Spanish (eg at Villarreal) he often speaks in a much more confident, relaxed way, a lot of the tics disappear.

Speaking a foreign language is stressful, especially if you aren’t very fluent and are constantly translating everything in your head… he’s probably self conscious of making mistakes or being misquoted, so he puts a lot of effort into it, and I think that’s where all the things you’re talking about suddenly show up.

The obsessive thing makes more sense, though, he’s definitely one of those coaches who is thinking about his job 24/7. I think because he’s a perfectionist it’s particularly overwhelming for him to give interviews in English, because he likes to give good interviews and knows he isn’t always doing his ideas justice.

Thankfully the results do most of the talking for him.

As good as his English is I do sometimes wonder how articulate and well spoken he must be in his mother tongue. You can just sense he must be an incredible speaker. I reckon he gets restricted having to speak in English. 

Any Spanish speaking fans on here able to shed any light on what his interviews and conferences are like in Spanish?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wishywashy said:

thought he was still married

Â