Unai Emery

PeterSw

4 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

I'm not buying this Torres out being the main difference. He does make a difference,  but we look flat , patchy. lack desire and intensity.

The lack of midfield form is a big, big issue. McGinn and Luiz need to step up. 

• Like 2

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

I'm not buying this Torres out being the main difference. He does make a difference,  but we look flat , patchy. lack desire and intensity.

I agree in the main but nights like last night we missed another certain Left footed cb more. 

Big Ty. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

I agree in the main but nights like last night we missed another certain Left footed cb more. 

Big Ty. 

Can think of several teams that have bullied us when he's been out before including before injury and no one in today's XI brings that. As much as he has annoyed me with errant passes for goals maybe Carlos should've started today and Konsa instead of Cash at RB. I think Emery got the IX wrong and made Howe look like a genius today

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Can think of several teams that have bullied us when he's been out before including before injury and no one in today's XI brings that. As much as he has annoyed me with errant passes for goals maybe Carlos should've started today and Konsa instead of Cash at RB. I think Emery got the IX wrong and made Howe look like a genius today

I think we lack leadership at the moment. Carlos is strong as an ox but not someone I’d say is a leader. Pau funnily enough is a leader and he marshals the defence admirably. 

Don't really understand his explanation for not starting Bailey. He wasn't 100% against Chelsea, fine, but what about last night? Diaby was ineffectual at Chelsea so didn't deserve to keep his place, and Bailey presumably was fit last night given the performance he delivered when he came on. 

The bit about trying to give them confidence...Is he saying he wanted Diaby to keep his spot to build his confidence? What about what it might do to Bailey's?

Emery has more than earned the right to plenty of slack and to make some mistakes with our turnaround under him, especially so given the wins against Man City and Arsenal.

There were a few key players that help us against Newcastle missing last night,  and hopefully Sheffield United won't pose the same level of intensity that means we hopefully won't miss them at the weekend. But, Emery needs to figure out a team that will deliver against them after the poor showing we had at home. 

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Don't really understand his explanation for not starting Bailey. He wasn't 100% against Chelsea, fine, but what about last night?

He said had back injury that wasn't 100% right

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think Emery got the IX wrong

Fair.

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

made Howe look like a genius today

Eh? Not for me.

21 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

and hopefully Sheffield United won't pose the same level of intensity that means we hopefully won't miss them at the weekend. 

I mean, they did at VP and we deserved to lose (awful officiating aside)

9 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Got his team selection wrong last night. Tielemens on that left hand side doesn't work.  Diaby is in a poor moment. 

I'd quite like to see how things would look with Tielemens and Diaby swapped.

Diaby out on the wing and Youri up top where he's been effective previously. 

Could be suicidal, but would give us something a bit different. 

52 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The lack of midfield form is a big, big issue. McGinn and Luiz need to step up. 

McGinn was excellent last night. He wasn't the problem

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

I mean, they did at VP and we deserved to lose (awful officiating aside)

No way. They pressed a bit, yes, but absolutely nothing like Newcastle.  Newcastle had 3 men standing on the edge of our penalty area for our goal kicks. 

20 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He said had back injury that wasn't 100% right

Ahh, the quote I saw only mentioned him not being 100% for the Chelsea game. Thanks. I really need to look for the full quotes. Hopefully that run out means Emery trusts him 100% on the weekend!

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He’s been hot and cold. Fantastic against Arsenal and United. But not great in games we expect to win. Can’t fault his effort, I just didn’t think he was that good yesterday. The midfield was easily flooded yesterday. 

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'd quite like to see how things would look with Tielemens and Diaby swapped.

Diaby out on the wing and Youri up top where he's been effective previously. 

Could be suicidal, but would give us something a bit different. 

Put Diaby right move McGinn left. That's the adjustment that could've work v Newcastle. Burn was there to be got at. But Diaby lacked to confidence to clinically target him.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I thought he was terrible in the first half. In the first 10 minutes he lost the ball 3 times leading to dangerous Newcastle attacks. He just looked (like the rest of them) half asleep. He just wanted so much time on the ball.

He was much better as the game went on though but unfortunately it was too late. He is the captain and should set the tempo. He didn’t do that last night but hopefully he’ll be back to his arse busting best on Saturday.

Love Unai as much as the next guy but he's done this a few times now:

Letting our performance become flatter and flatter then changing things when it's already too late.

I think the thing I don’t like right now is that he’s not playing players in their best position. We did so well at the tail end of last year and the beginning of this year by the simplest of adjustments and playing players in their best positions. 

Now we have Tielemans at LM that doesn’t work. Diaby up top has been a failed experiment. Mcginn in the midfield has never been as effective as McGinn in attack. 

Maybe it’s just fitness and lack of selection. But tactics, motivation aside (and the players not being up for it is always a lazy excuse for me), the simplest return to effectiveness is playing players in their correct positions and it’s just not working out the last few matches. 

A complicated puzzle that’s been missing a few pieces for the last 8 or 9 matches now. 

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

I think the thing I don’t like right now is that he’s not playing players in their best position. We did so well at the tail end of last year and the beginning of this year by the simplest of adjustments and playing players in their best positions. 

Now we have Tielemans at LM that doesn’t work. Diaby up top has been a failed experiment. Mcginn in the midfield has never been as effective as McGinn in attack. 

Maybe it’s just fitness and lack of selection. But tactics, motivation aside (and the players not being up for it is always a lazy excuse for me), the simplest return to effectiveness is playing players in their correct positions and it’s just not working out the last few matches. 

A complicated puzzle that’s been missing a few pieces for the last 8 or 9 matches now. 

Diaby was signed to play that role though, cutting in from the right with his left.  Are you suggesting we've wasted £50m?

Â