Unai Emery

PeterSw

This may have been mentioned before.. but one thing I’ve noticed that really works for Unai in terms of coaching players is that he gives them a run in the team even if they are struggling a bit.. then pulls them out for four or five weeks and then when they come back to the team again they have really improved.. He allows the players to reflect on their game and how they fit in to our system and then builds them up again in training sessions..

I think he did it with Cash early on and Bailey this season.. I’m expecting Zaniolo to have a great come back probably in January 

• Like 3

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

The full interview of McGinn was really really good.

Nice bit of insight on Emery with John saying he's good for days off letting the squad have time away, but when you're in at the training ground you're there to work.

"Intense" he replied when asked to describe working with Emery. Also said something like "You match his intensity or he's made it clear he'll bring in people who will"

Great stuff. Especially the days off. He's not a nutter who expects 24/7/365 focus, but when it is time, you listen, learn and work.

I’ve seen McGinn mention this a few times, in terms of Unai making clear his standards will be met or he’ll bring in new players. Unai also mentioned it in an interview recently. Seems very iron fist but I guess this is what he means by being demanding. He is pushing them to their limits to see who has what it takes to take us where we need to be. 

Very odd feeling to have this kind of mentality at the heart of our club. 

31 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Nice bit of insight on Emery with John saying he's good for days off letting the squad have time away, but when you're in at the training ground you're there to work.

"Intense" he replied when asked to describe working with Emery. Also said something like "You match his intensity or he's made it clear he'll bring in people who will"

Great stuff. Especially the days off. He's not a nutter who expects 24/7/365 focus, but when it is time, you listen, learn and work.

Thanks for the quote. Utterly fascinating. Utterly galvanising - you can see what it means to them to play for such an elite-level manager.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo71 said:

Just to clarify - every player except Digne is involved in that build up. It's simply shocking. If either of the two teams we've just dispatched played that move the press would be short stroking it around as a new type of football. Genius at work.

This is why I personally don't care what's said in the media, let them keep doing what they do and we'll keep doing what we do.. I know which one I prefer

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

I’ve seen McGinn mention this a few times, in terms of Unai making clear his standards will be met or he’ll bring in new players. Unai also mentioned it in an interview recently. Seems very iron fist but I guess this is what he means by being demanding. He is pushing them to their limits to see who has what it takes to take us where we need to be. 

Very odd feeling to have this kind of mentality at the heart of our club. 

Ron Saunders was also an iron fist. If the players have the right character they will rise to the challenge. If they don't, they know where the door is. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Ron Saunders was also an iron fist. If the players have the right character they will rise to the challenge. If they don't, they know where the door is. 

Having listened to some of the psychological jobs, he pulled on Tony Morley, this very much was the case

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Good mindset just from a professional workplace sense. 

High expectations at work, clear communication and consequence, respectful of your personal life. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Good mindset just from a professional workplace sense. 

High expectations at work, clear communication and consequence, respectful of your personal life. 

That's how you keep players on side when hosting 2 hour meetings about a Bosnian side they've never heard of and will never see again.

That, plus huge upturn in results obvz.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Haha 2

Â