Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Seven league games until he's had 38 in charge. Will be interesting to see 'a full season' league table since he's taken over! We'll be top four surely?

Remember after the first few games and some said it was just a new manager bounce that would tail off (as it did with Slippy G) and then it just... never did, and we carried on picking up loads of wins.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Seven league games until he's had 38 in charge. Will be interesting to see 'a full season' league table since he's taken over! We'll be top four surely?

Whatever it is, it'll definitely be a far cry from the "we're 9th (tied with 4 other teams) since Gerrard came in" table. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In fairness to Unai, I think the biggest factor was having Monchi in place, perhaps later than expected and trying to bring in quality competition for places whilst making profit from youth. January feels like an absolutely crucial window. We are still light in a few areas. 

It's funny really, Unai comes in with a reputation as a great cup manager but let's be honest, we've been utter crap in our cup games.

Truth is we don't have the squad to rotate, either we go full strength or we except that we won't win a cup of any sort

What does Emery do now.  We've threw the league Cup, FA Cup next? He now knows the reserve players in the main can't be trusted to deliver any level of performance.  That leaves us with a small squad of 15/16 that will have to play every league and europa game, as clearly based on Warsaw and tonight, the backups cannot get the job done.

Yes I know we have Mings, Buendia, Ramsey, Moreno and Carlos out for long periods, but the rest we have relied on.have let is down badly.

Chambers, Olsen, Dendonker, Tielemans and to a degree Bailey.

It's not a good place to be in if your the manager.

I’m so sick of us wimpering out of the cups whilst playing a weakened team. It’s so infuriating.

I love Unai. He is class but his performance in the cups has been very poor so far. I want us to win something but we don’t even try. Absolutely not good enough.

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

What does Emery do now.  We've threw the league Cup, FA Cup next? He now knows the reserve players in the main can't be trusted to deliver any level of performance.  That leaves us with a small squad of 15/16 that will have to play every league and europa game, as clearly based on Warsaw and tonight, the backups cannot get the job done.

Yes I know we have Mings, Buendia, Ramsey, Moreno and Carlos out for long periods, but the rest we have relied on.have let is down badly.

Chambers, Olsen, Dendonker, Tielemans and to a degree Bailey.

It's not a good place to be in if your the manager.

Yeah I don’t think there will be much point going for the FA cup this season. We almost certainly won’t win it.

Go for the league, full strength every game, and try and win the conference group so we miss out the next knockout round and bypass it. I assume the money from progressing through that is better than the FA cup.

We’ll probably get Man Utd anyway and it’ll be moot. I’d only really go for it if we draw small heath. If so, smash them then go out in the fourth round.

Dreadful cup form from Emery so far across 2 seasons. Disappointing to say the least from a cup expert. Thankfully our league form is fantastic to make up for it but we need to see some better cup performance too. Not too fussed about league cup to be honest but hope we go full strength in Europa league from now on.

Outside of the Hibs games we've been bizarrely shite in non-PL affairs thus far under him. Obviously not the biggest deal in the world if the league is going as well as it has been but it's quite disappointing given you'd think we should at worst be progressing through ties like tonight and at least being able to make a fist of things in the latter stages of competitions.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I think he only cares about the Premier League and still just focussing weekend to weekend. Everything else is a sideshow. He's treating it all that way for sure.

think he's said in interviews recentlt the league is the most important. guessing it's deemed that we have a real chance of top 6 or even better

i don't like all our eggs in a pretty **** big basket though

Just now, tomav84 said:

think he's said in interviews recentlt the league is the most important. guessing it's deemed that we have a real chance of top 6 or even better

i don't like all our eggs in a pretty **** big basket though

Good job they're not then.

I don't think Unai is treating the cups less than anything else. On paper, it was a strong XI of individual players.

The issue comes down to whether the back 12-18 players can play the system he envisions with the same tenacity and calmness that the first XI is slowly starting to produce.

And it's been Legia and now Everton in the cup that the answer is leaning heavily towards NO.

This was a problem in the profiles that we acquired. No replacement RB so we fielded a colossally slow Chambers. We were apparently in for Adams but we ended up with Tielemans instead - what a downgrade that was. Dendoncker kept on instead of being moved to Turkey and he's always had a horrid back pass on him. No backup LB after Moreno/Digne even though we were in for the likes of Acuna.

I asked it after Warsaw, but how many more times does Unai let players 12-18 try to prove themselves? But that's the conundrum when we're trying to play multiple competitions.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

Â