Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Is it? When does that sort of performance ever go down with the fans and the players that have come on only to be subbed off again? Would have expected that at the tail end of Smiths time in charge or Gerrards. Not under Emery. 

Managers make mistakes, the best ones less so but it happens. We are very lucky to have him. Probably the biggest name manager we’ve ever had in modern times ? If he felt the need to take him off I’m glad he did rather than think bloody hell I can’t take him off he came on as a sub. The progress under him cannot be doubted . 

• Like 2

Just now, Mantis said:

His English is fine FFS.

Look at his quotes on the BBC website. I can half guess what he's trying to say but it's so frustrating. Yeah it's more of an issue after a bad performance because I want a clear explanation from him that he knows what went wrong. 

9 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Work on your English please..whenever I read the quotes I can't understand what point he is trying to make half.the time..it just sounds bizarre. 

How is your Spanish, Basque and French

Maybe listen to him and not read the quotes

• Like 3

First significant criticisms of Emery today from me. Thought we were incredibly naive in the way we set up against Newcastle, thought maybe it's a one-off and of course mitigating circumstances due to injuries, but to repeat exactly the same mistakes again today is really disappointing. You can't go up to Liverpool and be so open, a manager of Unai's quality shouldn't allow it to happen. I just hope this isn't a blind spot for him, he obviously wants to stick to his principles but against top opposition sometimes you need to be more pragmatic

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Not exactly winning the blue ribbon for this either though, is he?

I suspect it wasn’t his plan to play him in lieu of Mings, but to play him as an accompaniment. Similar to last season when we lost out on seeing Mings and Carlos as the primary pair. Thankfully Mings and Konsa developed into a formidable pair, hopefully the same happens as the season progresses with Pau.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Look at his quotes on the BBC website. I can half guess what he's trying to say but it's so frustrating. Yeah it's more of an issue after a bad performance because I want a clear explanation from him that he knows what went wrong. 

I've just read them and they seem to be pretty clear to me.  He says the first half was key, we were weak early on and at 2-0 we had a couple of good chances but the third killed us.  We had some circumstances out of our control like the injury to Carlos and some that were out fault, they're a good team and he was excited to test against them but we failed.  Seems pretty fair to me.

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Not exactly winning the blue ribbon for this either though, is he?

Won’t skewer Pau too much over one game. 

I think it was Collymore who said it takes about 7 league games to make a a good determination on the squad readiness. 

Similar to the growing pains Arsenal are having with their new squad, Unai needs to figure out his best XI. 

Cash at RM I think is symbolic over his indecision right now. Works in a pinch but Cash should not regularly be staring at RM. 

My only complaint is he did not a signed Buendia replacement. The player that links between the midfield and attack. 

This is a essential , the Bruno/ Odegaad/KDB position in a team. The last pre season game against Newcastle clearly demonstrate the importance ( Buendia scored 2 and 1 assist for Watkin ). Knowly Coutinho is not durable he should have signed another. 

• Like 1

Probably the first time I’ve been disappointed with Emery. Would have thought we would have played a bit more conservatively in these games after the Newcastle debacle. 
But then again the poor start really **** the game plan up. Lots of work for him in the next few weeks in finding the right blend.

I liked his BBC interview, and understood it.

Never needed to learn Spanish either.

Like how he said " We need to be calm " with this result and consider some of the circumstances etc.

Also, as someone else mentioned, repeated that we were weak in defense.

Fully expect him to try his best to address this.

• Like 1

International break may have come at a good time for us.

If I was Unai... i'd be giving all our called up players " light injuries " which rule them out for their countries, but not for the club. lol

More time on the training ground.

JJ and Moreno should hopefully be back as well?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Â