Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unai is in his dream job. He has two owners who can compete financially with any other owners out there. FFP may well be a nuisance which is what UEFA hoped for when they introduced it to protect their bread and butter "big teams", but Unai is a team builder and possibly the very best coach out there. He's not thinking about cracking the top six in the PL, he's aiming to disrupt the top four. Champions league is his target.

Any "big name" manager can go into any one of the UEFA "golden clubs" and have a chance of a trophy before players with huge pay packets and very little surviving ambition get fed up with them, or the "billy big boll*cks" fans start shouting for a change because they're bored. Emery is different. He revels in being the underdog, but now he's the "underdog" with real financial backing.

This is his moment. He will never have another opportunity as unique as this one.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That's just ridiculous. He's like an anime character.

Crazy isn't it. From Bruce and his chippy trips to Gerrard who couldn't wait to bugger off to get pissed with Scouse gangsters to this man.

It's like going from the dole to becoming one of this mega billion dollar lottery winners.

21 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

When you think what he did after that Arsenal loss; 15 games, 2 losses. Those were both scrappy 1-0’s too. We didnt concede more than once in any of those 15 games either. 10 wins, 3 draws and 7 clean sheets in there.

Just an exceptional performance by the man, class act. When you watch the post match interview after that game at Molineux, skip to 1:38 and see the smile he gives when he envisages exactly how he’e going to put things right the next week, he’s already cooking up a plan. This man is authentic and truly elite imo.

Ive supported Villa since 91’, seen us win 2 coca cola cups, but Emery is the best manager ive ever seen at Villa, by some way too and he’s only been here 5 minutes. So excited for the next few years and what we might achieve. UTE

That smile

spacer.png

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Anyone see , in the John McGinn feature from Telegragh, he says he went back to BMH to collect his boots for Scotland duty, and Unai was there rewatching the Brighton game?

The man is an obsessive nutcase! 😂

I do actually think he has mental health problems with some sort of OCD aswell. Good for us though! 😂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I do actually think he has mental health problems with some sort of OCD aswell. Good for us though! 😂

Not if it starts going tits up it doesn't. OCD would be a horrendous thing for someone to suffer with in football management. Obsessed is good enough 😂 

22 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

When you think what he did after that Arsenal loss; 15 games, 2 losses. Those were both scrappy 1-0’s too. We didnt concede more than once in any of those 15 games either. 10 wins, 3 draws and 7 clean sheets in there.

Just an exceptional performance by the man, class act. When you watch the post match interview after that game at Molineux, skip to 1:38 and see the smile he gives when he envisages exactly how he’e going to put things right the next week, he’s already cooking up a plan. This man is authentic and truly elite imo.

Ive supported Villa since 91’, seen us win 2 coca cola cups, but Emery is the best manager ive ever seen at Villa, by some way too and he’s only been here 5 minutes. So excited for the next few years and what we might achieve. UTE

I agree with all of that except calling the league cup the coca cola cup. 

11 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

I agree with all of that except calling the league cup the coca cola cup. 

Being 7 and 9 when they were won, you dont realise it was just a sponsor. Coca-Cola Cup resonates with me, simpler times..

Feels surreal that we still havent won anything since then 😔 

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Anyone see , in the John McGinn feature from Telegragh, he says he went back to BMH to collect his boots for Scotland duty, and Unai was there rewatching the Brighton game?

Imagining the meeting went something like this. 😄

20230608_180551.jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Imagine what it would be like for his wife if she decided she wanted to split up.

Unai in the bushes turnout at 6am making notes with regard to new potential suitors 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

One detail I found interesting about the McGinn interview was him saying that Bournemouth were the opposition side that Emery had the squad most prepared for and that he found them fascinating.

Bournemouth had a good season, but I wouldn’t have guessed that they would be the ones he’d have paid particular attention to. I would be thinking Brighton,  Liverpool, City, Arsenal…basically the top six. The sides who have more threat, more things to consider.

That’s not to say I expect him to have looked at the table, seen they were in the bottom three and said to himself “Ah, this one should take care of itself, probably can get home early tonight, beat the traffic…”. Obviously the guy devours content regardless of the opponent.

And the result suggests sufficient homework was duly done.

I just wouldn’t have guessed it would have been them that warranted special attention. 

He’s both on and seeing the game on a difficult level, as has been pointed out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

One detail I found interesting about the McGinn interview was him saying that Bournemouth were the opposition side that Emery had the squad most prepared for and that he found them fascinating.

Bournemouth had a good season, but I wouldn’t have guessed that they would be the ones he’d have paid particular attention to. I would be thinking Brighton,  Liverpool, City, Arsenal…basically the top six. The sides who have more threat, more things to consider.

That’s not to say I expect him to have looked at the table, seen they were in the bottom three and said to himself “Ah, this one should take care of itself, probably can get home early tonight, beat the traffic…”. Obviously the guy devours content regardless of the opponent.

And the result suggests sufficient homework was duly done.

I just wouldn’t have guessed it would have been them that warranted special attention. 

He’s both on and seeing the game on a difficult level, as has been pointed out.

My reading of that was that he knew it was a game the players might take lightly. And he prepared then in such a way there was no way they were going to do that under his watch. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

My reading of that was that he knew it was a game the players might take lightly. And he prepared then in such a way there was no way they were going to do that under his watch. 

Or... He just watched our first game of the season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That is something I wonder when managers take on a new job, how much have they watched of their new club have they seen before deciding to accept the job. Particularly if they’re already in work at another club.

I know it will be different for every manager.

Emery does a lot of research and analysis, but I would assume that while at Villareal, he’s reviewing his own side’s games and those of Villareal’s upcoming opponents. I don’t know how much of the Premier league he would watch and our games in particular.

Put simply, he will have had a working idea of what Martinez is about. I’m curious as to what, if any, opinion he had of Ollie Watkins for instance. Is it a crash course of watching loads of games in the week(s) leading up to accepting the job and thinking “Yeah it’s gone wrong, but the talent is there…”.

17 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

That is something I wonder when managers take on a new job, how much have they watched of their new club have they seen before deciding to accept the job. Particularly if they’re already in work at another club.

I know it will be different for every manager.

Emery does a lot of research and analysis, but I would assume that while at Villareal, he’s reviewing his own side’s games and those of Villareal’s upcoming opponents. I don’t know how much of the Premier league he would watch and our games in particular.

Put simply, he will have had a working idea of what Martinez is about. I’m curious as to what, if any, opinion he had of Ollie Watkins for instance. Is it a crash course of watching loads of games in the week(s) leading up to accepting the job and thinking “Yeah it’s gone wrong, but the talent is there…”.

Yes, I assume he will have done his homework on us before accepting Nas & Wes lucrative offer to be our new head coach.

Â