Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, blandy said:

Easy to say, hard to achieve. The thing is that once upon a time, nearly all top flight teams played 4-4-2. So whoever did the best and tried the hardest and "wanted it" the most, would usually win. It might have been long ball v a passing game, but that was about the extent of tactical differences. But it's not like that anymore. Almost every team sets up differently, and they change between games and opponents. This is where Emery (and Klopp, for example) earns his money. The performance levels of the human being players will vary with form and niggles and confidence and home v away and all that, but the things that can be set up and controlled, around tactics and formations and selections for different games and the attention to detail and video analysis and almost lectures that managers like Unai do is the thing that makes the difference these days. As others have said the change that he's introduced has been huge. The high value placed on possession and moving the opponents around to create opportunities to attack at pace, the education of us fans not to get impatient with sideways passing, the changes he's brought to where all the players operate and how they react to the game situation...loads of stuff. It's very impressive.

All very true.....but the highlighted bit, is also, still very true of top teams.....its not one or the other, you need both.

You may be aware of the tactical Nous of Unai Emery, and I have no cotter with that, but take time out to notice the demand he is putting on this team, and the application they are giving....The intensity and determination to win, has been installed by him too...He said after the Man U game " We didn't meet the demands that the game required".....He was spelling it out. He didn't say we got our tactics wrong.

To win games, we need all aspects to be in the groove.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TRO said:

the highlighted bit, is also, still very true of top teams.....its not one or the other, you need both.

It isn’t.  You do need both, absolutely, but it really isn’t the case that “whoever did the best and tried the hardest and "wanted it" the most, would usually win”. This is where elite managers in the modern game create an extra advantage.  This is why Unai Emery has improved Villa so much. Our players aren’t trying harder than under the previous manager, they don’t “want it” more, either as individuals or as a team, but they are organised, coached, tactically set up and tactically adjusted much better by Unai than any manager for a good while. With largely the same players, same desire, same work rate, same standard of opponent, same opponent desire, our results are miles better because of the managerial change and the intelligence he’s brought. Desire and work rate are absolutely essential, but these days they are only the difference where you get 2 evenly matched sides, with good officiating and similar tactics. Outside of that, given the work rate, fitness, will to win of all players and teams, other stuff is far more significant in affecting results. All houses have foundations and without them they fall down, but the better houses are differentiated by what’s built on top, is my point. Emery is a master architect.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, blandy said:

It isn’t.  You do need both, absolutely, but it really isn’t the case that “

whoever did the best and tried the hardest and "wanted it" the most, would usually win”. This is where elite managers in the modern game create an extra advantage.  This is why Unai Emery has improved Villa so much. Our players aren’t trying harder than under the previous manager, they don’t “want it” more, either as individuals or as a team, but they are organised, coached, tactically set up and tactically adjusted much better by Unai than any manager for a good while. With largely the same players, same desire, same work rate, same standard of opponent, same opponent desire, our results are miles better because of the managerial change and the intelligence he’s brought. Desire and work rate are absolutely essential, but these days they are only the difference where you get 2 evenly matched sides, with good officiating and similar tactics. Outside of that, given the work rate, fitness, will to win of all players and teams, other stuff is far more significant in affecting results. All houses have foundations and without them they fall down, but the better houses are differentiated by what’s built on top, is my point. Emery is a master architect.

I simply disagree Pete.....are you saying thats all they had, when they won the World Cup in 1966? are you saying thats all we had in 1982?......I am not suggesting thats all it takes, but you seem to be implying thats all teams had....and I disagree.

Yes, I do think our players "want it more" right now....but at the same time, I am equally not low balling the tactical element you are promoting, I agree with that aspect, too

You don't seem to grasp, I agree with your reference to tactics, its you who seems to dispel the other elements like  "wanting it more". or fighting for the intiative, which is now prevalent.

Edited by TRO

18 hours ago, TRO said:

its you who seems to dispel the other elements like  "wanting it more". or fighting for the intiative,

I don't dispel them at all.

22 hours ago, blandy said:

Desire and work rate are absolutely essential

What I'm saying is that all managers require and pretty much get these essential basics from their players, but where managers differ is the thing that is, well, different. And that's around tactics and changing game plans during a game and spotting opportunities as they open up (amongst other less tangible things, like confidence). This is where Emery has made by far the biggest difference to Villa compared with the previous coaching set up.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, blandy said:

What I'm saying is that all managers require and pretty much get these essential basics from their players, but where managers differ is the thing that is, well, different. And that's around tactics and changing game plans during a game and spotting opportunities as they open up (amongst other less tangible things, like confidence). This is where Emery has made by far the biggest difference to Villa compared with the previous coaching set up.

Then I agree with you.

pete....it sounds like we agree, but some things maybe lost in interpretation.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, blandy said:

You're wasting your time.

Next time we don't win he'll be back. 'The team didn't run hard enough '

6 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Nominated for Manager of the Season 👊🏻👏🏻💜💙

To be fair he’s barely put a foot wrong and I doubt even the likes of Klopp and Guardiola could have gotten much more out of this team during the time he’s been in charge. He won’t win it though but that’s fine.

Edited by AVFCDAN

14 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

To be fair he’s barely put a foot wrong and I doubt even the likes of Klopp and Guardiola could have gotten much more out of this team during the time he’s been in charge. He won’t win it though but that’s fine.

Sadly I think you're right about him winning, so for me the nomination alone is the win.That's very good company he's in there.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

10% already, only 5 more seasons of Emeryball😢

No what he means is that he slopes off to the Dog and Dublet most days but next year, now he’s a regular they’re going to send him takeaways to BMH. 

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

10% already, only 5 more seasons of Emeryball😢

He’s talking about the length of original contract nothing more. He’s clearly trying to convey a deeper point but it gets lost a little in translation. 

• Like 1

Â