Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

It's insane that we've seen so little of that kind of thing at Villa Park in recent years.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Arguably not for 20+ years

tbh, i think he is the most high profile/elite level manager i have known at Villa in my lifetime.

I know MON was seen as a great appointment, but MONs CV and career achievements dont hold a candle to Emery, tbh i think the only manager in our history you could remotely compare CVs with is George Ramsey (1884-1926), then you have managers who's CV wasnt amazing before they joined us but achieved a lot while here (ie: Barton:1982-84 & Saunders : 1974-82), even then Barton & Saunders havent won as many European honours (but ofc barton won the European Cup rather than Emery's multiple Europa's).

Either way, i think Emery has the most illustrious CV, profile and achievements of any Villa manager in the last 40 odd years, maybe even the last 100 years......

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

Good that if we are lucky he can match Gerrard in points for the season this week!

Edit: sorry, three points were under Danks - so he’s already got as many points as Gerrard, right?

Edited by Adam2003

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Please stop comparing him to Gerrard. Gerrard was a immense footballer, but not in the same league as a manager like Emery.

Anyway Gerrard was nothing without Beale, not even a coach.

It’s a fair comparison to make when you consider the immediate shift. Obviously long term it’s like comparing an Aston Martin to a bicycle. But you have to expect it for a few weeks given where we were heading.

1 hour ago, Woody1000 said:

Today has taught me a lesson.

I couldn’t believe that he selected Olsen over Martinez and A.Young over Matty Cash, and thought he had condemned us to a defeat.

What do I know, you keep doing whatever you want Unai, I bow to your superior knowledge you Spanish sex god! ❤️

C59FD5F4-B199-45E9-A078-F8BE9D9F9877.jpeg

His decision making in the selections you noted and when it would of been easy to fold like a deck chair when Brighton had a great start against us, suggests to me he has unwavering confidence in his ability and knows what he is about. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Please stop comparing him to Gerrard. Gerrard was a immense footballer, but not in the same league as a manager like Emery.

Anyway Gerrard was nothing without Beale, not even a coach.

I'm still baffled as to how, as a supposedly "well run club", we fell into the old trap of appointing a great player, thinking his "winning mentality" would transmit to our players purely through his aura.

Emery was a second-tier footballer who achieved very little as a player. Like Klopp, Mourinho, Benitez, Wenger, Potter, Howe, Ten Hag, etc.

Sure, some great managers were also great footballers, but most great footballers do not make great managers. And that's not a new thing. Since Arrigo Sacchi's classic Milan side, surely it's been obvious to anyone paying attention, that there's no requirement to have played football at the highest level, and you should be judging coaches on their coaching CV, not their playing accolades.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, catanzaro said:

Funny that since Emery has been our manager.. my lucky socks have started working again… the guy is a genius

My bro in law got me a pair of novelty socks for my birthday a few months back. I’m not really a novelty socks kinda person but I wore them for the first time on the day we played United, Emery’s first match. I decided the socks would be my lucky ones after that result. I then forgot to wear them for the cup game, which we lost. However, did remember to put them on for the Brighton match, which we won. I then wore them for the World Cup final - which I wanted Argentina to win. However, because I only stuck them on to watch the match at home I decided they weren’t dirty and stuck them back in my drawer ready for the Liverpool game… we lost. Was it because I didn’t wash them? 
However, I am pleased to confirm that the socks were worn today and they were clean… 

So, in light of our recent results… you are all welcome. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tayls said:

My bro in law got me a pair of novelty socks for my birthday a few months back. I’m not really a novelty socks kinda person but I wore them for the first time on the day we played United, Emery’s first match. I decided the socks would be my lucky ones after that result. I then forgot to wear them for the cup game, which we lost. However, did remember to put them on for the Brighton match, which we won. I then wore them for the World Cup final - which I wanted Argentina to win. However, because I only stuck them on to watch the match at home I decided they weren’t dirty and stuck them back in my drawer ready for the Liverpool game… we lost. Was it because I didn’t wash them? 
However, I am pleased to confirm that the socks were worn today and they were clean… 

So, in light of our recent results… you are all welcome. 

And people blamed Olsen for the Liverpool loss

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Good, positive analysis of the game and UE's tactics on motd tonight I thought.

How has Emery done this with our midfield? It's amazing.

Our midfield has some absolute quality in it. Someone is now using them.

• Like 3

Classy, tactically astute and devoted to the craft, driven, humble, great with the fans and the players. Early days but I'm really struggling to see anything about him that I don't love. We are so very, very lucky to have him managing our club and I hope he builds something legendary at Villa Park.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I'm still baffled as to how, as a supposedly "well run club", we fell into the old trap of appointing a great player, thinking his "winning mentality" would transmit to our players purely through his aura.

Emery was a second-tier footballer who achieved very little as a player. Like Klopp, Mourinho, Benitez, Wenger, Potter, Howe, Ten Hag, etc.

Sure, some great managers were also great footballers, but most great footballers do not make great managers. And that's not a new thing. Since Arrigo Sacchi's classic Milan side, surely it's been obvious to anyone paying attention, that there's no requirement to have played football at the highest level, and you should be judging coaches on their coaching CV, not their playing accolades.

This

Â