Unai Emery

PeterSw

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

His English is perfectly fine. You can understand what he means, he's not any worse than the likes of Arteta he just needs to get used to speaking English a lot again.

You can see why he's been successful, he's got that... air of confidence about him. You feel like he actually means what he says and he's thought about what he is saying. 

His English is fine but this just isn't true. Arteta is way more fluent, with an easier accent to understand.

• Like 2

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

Said similar the other day. But if we are still struggling over the next few months, it’s 100% the playing staff that need to be criticised rather than Emery. (Unless he does something really silly, such as play Coutinho in goal or something) 

That or persist with a midfield that doesn't work for God knows how many months!

Just watching the Emery interview, his style of speaking is very intentional. He kinda rolls most sentences up into a crescendo but watching him talk about Villa and his love for football, you see that beaming smile that cannot be faked. 

• Like 2

His honeymoon period feels like it's gone on forever, just wait til he starts winning. We're gonna run outta superlatives real fast lads!

The more I think about how much he's gonna improve the younger lads too, just knuckle down, listen to the man and the sky could be the limit for some fellas. This is a real footballing coach.

Edited by ccfcman
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

His English is fine but this just isn't true. Arteta is way more fluent, with an easier accent to understand.

Yes, his English is good, to be fair. Well done him, I bet he made a good effort while at Arsenal to steadily improve it. His main mistake, in my opinion, is saying "for to", e.g. "for to improve", which is kind of translating directly from Spanish (para mejorar).. all he needs is someone to tell him clearly that the word for isn't followed by to, that he should just say 'to do something' rather than "for to do" something.

(I am fluent in two languages, Spanish and French, and worked as a EFL teacher for 13 years... If he has an English coach for an hour or two a week they can make his English even better, i.e. from good to great, by making him aware of and explaining the few medium/minor grammar mistakes that he still makes. I had several interviews for French-speaking jobs in which I got turned down for my French being "not quite good enough", even though I got an A in my A-level and had lived in France for four years, and I then went away and worked harder on it, so I know the profesonal importance of having a high level in your foreign language).

Edited by robby b

Alot of our players whos first language isnt English , speak Spanish as a first or second language. If problems arose at Arsenal it might be due to the situation being different. They had germans, swiss, armenians, nigerians, french and egyptians.

• Like 2

I think Emery’s english is more than good enough, after all he is here as a football manager, not English professor. Comparing his English to somebody that have been living here half their life, like Arteta isn’t really fair either.

What really matter is how well he can get the team to play on match day. I don’t expect too much in the first few matches, but if we could get 12 points of the next 8 matches I would be satisfied. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

His English is perfectly fine. You can understand what he means, he's not any worse than the likes of Arteta he just needs to get used to speaking English a lot again.

You can see why he's been successful, he's got that... air of confidence about him. You feel like he actually means what he says and he's thought about what he is saying. 

He is definitely worse than Arteta but so he should be.

Arteta has been in England most of his life.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1

This is a GREAT appointment by the club.

I cant wait to see what our team selection will look like now.

I also cant wait to see what the squad will look like in the next 1 to 2 seasons with a manager like Emery with backing from our owners.

Â