Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I am still buzzing about this. If you look at the categories of our previous managerial appointments in the past 20 years or, he basically falls into a complete new category on his own. We've had up and coming managers with lower league experience (e.g. Lambert and Smith), established "safe" but negative cloggers (e.g. McLeish and Bruce), a domestic manager with decent pedigree (O'Neill), previously successful but out of work for a while (Houllier), frauds who aren't even managers (Sherwood and Gerrard), but when have we ever had a genuinely top class manager join?

When you look at it… it’s really quite shocking how few decent/good managers we have actually had and just how many crap ones we’ve had (a proper shower of shite)… a bit embarrassing really and not really befitting our stature and prestige… though we did suffer a major decline in general… we’ll always have our history though but…

regardless…

we are back in business now and ready to hit the big time…this is a major appointment for this club and we can achieve a lot together…

What more could we have done in terms of a statement of intent? Who could we have appointed with better/more credentials?

With the right backing, we’ve actually set ourselves up for some form of success… at last…

Go on Unai!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Yeah but to my English ears that old "lets make fun of peoples class and those who live outside of London" really doesnt sit well either.

It hits a lot of old wounds related to class and regional bigotries within the UK. As someone with a fairly weird accent from a working class background its always bothered me for example. 

I just personally find cheap impressions of open mocking of peoples speech a bit mean spirited and not really very funny.

Someone further up mentioned good impressionists basically distill someones character into an insightful pastiche of the subject. 

Farley just puts on a "look at the silly scouser/foreigner" accent,  shouts a lot and takes cheap shots at Tyrone Mings.

Anyways folks can enjoy whatever they like of course. Just my 0.2c as to why I dont like Farley.

I agree with this. It's one thing making fun of certain peculiarities of personalities like how Frank Lampard likes to laugh mid-sentence for no reason, even when he's deadly serious. And then there's just poking fun at someone's accent because you think it's funny. The "good ebening" stuff can fall into the former category because Unai did like to say that way more than the average person, but everything else in that video isn't on imo.

• Like 1

I didn't pay a lot of attention to him at Arsenal but always felt he was on a hiding to nothing there after Wenger. Perhaps if they'd have given him the same time and patience afforded to Arteta, he would have been fine. 

He clearly appreciates trust and being allowed to do his thing rather than everything micromanaged for him elsewhere. 

This feels like such a good fit. It will take time for things to really get going but at the same time, I think he'll be able to get a far more coherent tune out of what we've got now. 

He seems like a bloody good bloke too who just wants to do well for others and not his own ego. 

Superb. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Subtitles are in English (you might need to actually turn the subtitles on).

really interesting to hear it from Emery in his own words, he also talks a lot about why Arsenal wanted him, what they asked him to do, what he thought he was there to do etc.

Interesting. He asks the director "Why do you want me?" so he can adapt his coaching and approach to align with the clubs aims and desires.

I would assume most other managers would come with "Here's what I can do".

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

When you look at it… it’s really quite shocking how few decent/good managers we have actually had and just how many crap ones we’ve had (a proper shower of shite)… a bit embarrassing really and not really befitting our stature and prestige… though we did suffer a major decline in general… we’ll always have our history though but…

regardless…

we are back in business now and ready to hit the big time…this is a major appointment for this club and we can achieve a lot together…

What more could we have done in terms of a statement of intent? Who could we have appointed with better/more credentials?

With the right backing, we’ve actually set ourselves up for some form of success… at last…

Go on Unai!

In fairness, a fair few of our appointments looked ok at the time but just didn't work out for various reasons (thinking mainly of Houllier, Lambert and possibly even Garde here). Lambert to me is the most glaring example. He was a genuinely exciting up and coming manager when we got him and was known for playing good attacking football. But that first season with us was pretty wild and I'm convinced it scarred him and changed him. After that we were always much more negative and it was all downhill from there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

In fairness, a fair few of our appointments looked ok at the time but just didn't work out for various reasons (thinking mainly of Houllier, Lambert and possibly even Garde here). Lambert to me is the most glaring example. He was a genuinely exciting up and coming manager when we got him and was known for playing good attacking football. But that first season with us was pretty wild and I'm convinced it scarred him and changed him. After that we were always much more negative and it was all downhill from there.

There are mitigating factors for some of them and we did ruin a few careers 🤣

But we’ve undoubtedly had some real shit too, I think that’s undeniable.

I think we settled for less and didn’t show enough ambition or purpose at times when we could have done better. Some were really questionable… and what madness possessed Faulkner & Lerner to pursue McLeish despite the vicious backlash from our own fans? How could they be so deaf/blind? They were so clueless and inept that they couldn’t even gauge the thoughts and opinions of the fanbase… 

Oh well, it’s all in the past anyway…

I’m just really excited and feel so enthusiastic now..

I felt the opposite and it made me quite miserable beforehand… glad that nightmare is over and now we can dream again…

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

There are mitigating factors for some of them and we did ruin a few careers 🤣

But we’ve undoubtedly had some real shit too, I think that’s undeniable.

I think we settled for less and didn’t show enough ambition or purpose at times when we could have done better. Some were really questionable… and what madness possessed Faulkner & Lerner to pursue McLeish despite the vicious backlash from our own fans? How could they be so deaf/blind? They were so clueless and inept that they couldn’t even gauge the thoughts and opinions of the fanbase… 

Oh well, it’s all in the past anyway…

I’m just really excited and feel so enthusiastic now..

I felt the opposite and it made me quite miserable beforehand… glad that nightmare is over and now we can dream again…

Aye. As you can probably tell from my signature, I could see what Houllier was trying to build. To swap that for a kick-and-run chancer like McLeish was dumbfounding.

The thing is, we are doing exactly the same thing now - but in reverse 😉

I’m really, really intrigued to see which players Unai actually rates and intends to build the side around…

and which players he deems to be below the required standards - I suspect it will be those that are most limited in terms of technical prowess and skill…

I’ve heard he really values and admires players that combine physicality with skill too…

I would certainly trust his judgement… he’s been there and done it.

Personally, I would put our two Emis at the top of that list… along with Kamara.

Carlos… possibly Bailey… Luiz… 

JJ…

I have serious reservations and misgivings about McGinn… 

Who knows about Coutinho? Has he got it in him? It’s more of a psychological and personality based challenge… he certainly has the ability…

It would be nice to see some of them have a resurgence… I get the impression that Unai can get the best/maximum out of the players at his disposal… seems to have done that at Villarreal..

But we need better, and a more complete/balanced side, to truly compete and have success… step by step…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Aye. As you can probably tell from my signature, I could see what Houllier was trying to build. To swap that for a kick-and-run chancer like McLeish was dumbfounding.

The thing is, we are doing exactly the same thing now - but in reverse 😉

I too felt we were on to a good thing with Houllier… a shame he suffered with health issues… was excited to see which players he would eventually bring in too…

RIP

I don’t think we’ve ever had a manager, at least in many decades, at the level of Unai… flipping exciting 🤣

I don’t think there’s a comparison, not in recent memory.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Mantis said:

We absolutely shattered that man. Lerner owes him an apology.

• Like 2

His first two games will both be v Man Utd. If we lose the first game, the second will be an early indicator of how adroit he is tactically. 

We are getting a bit lucky with the WC break because it'll allow some significant training time with the players not in Qatar.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, maqroll said:

His first two games will both be v Man Utd. If we lose the first game, the second will be an early indicator of how adroit he is tactically. 

We are getting a bit lucky with the WC break because it'll allow some significant training time with the players not in Qatar.

TBH, it will most likely be everyone but:

• Martinez
  • Cash
  • Dendoncker
  • Douglas Luiz (maybe)
  • Kamara (maybe)

Will basically be a full 6 week pre-season from 11/13 - 12/26.  Nearly the entire squad should be acclimated to his style of play by the time Liverpool come to Villa Park on Boxing Day.

• Like 2

Don't know if this has been covered, but wondering how Chambers has reacted/will react.  From what I can recall he played a fair amount at Arse until Arteta arrived but he spent all of the first season of Emery's tenure on loan at Fulham. He played plenty of games under Emery until he was sacked in 2019.  People have brought up the Emi situation, but for me the Chambers one is more intriguing........ I rate Chambers and think that he could be a good pro to have around to help the players adjust to Unai's style and system(s). 

52 minutes ago, useless said:

David O'Leary - Top four and Champions League with Leeds
Martin O'Neill - Promotion from Championship, three top ten finishes in Premier League, and two League Cup wins with Leicester when they had way less resources than now
Gérard Houllier - Won a lot with Liverpool,
Alex McLeish - Title win with Rangers, top ten finish with small heath, also won them a major trophy
Paul Lambert - Took Norwich from League One to Championship in three straight seasons and then had them comfortably midtable playing relatively good football
Tim Sherwood - Impressive win rate at Spurs, credited with playing a big role in Kane's development
Rémi Garde - Won French Cup and French Super Cup with Lyon, qualified for Europe every season
Roberto Di Matteo - Won the European Cup with Chelsea, got West Brom promoted
Steve Bruce - Four Championship promotions, top ten Premier League finishes with Wigan and Sunderland
Dean Smith - Didn't do much before joining us, but was building something at Brentford, and they owe a lot of their current success to him
Steven Gerrard - First title win in ten years for Rangers went an whole season unbeaten, only the fourth time that has ever happened

Our list of recent managers looks as bad as it does because of how much they failed with us, but before that failure they had all achieved something, hopefully it works out different with Emery, he's got a much better pedigree than most of the others and will have better resources, so good chance it will work out better with him.

Emery is better than all those managers listed, if he can't do anything here, then something is seriously wrong

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Which is potentially most of the squad really. Trying to think but Cash and Martinez are the only definites who’ll be gone. Mings ? Far from a cert, probably not. Toney or Watkins, who knows. Can’t say Buendia is a cert, same as Dougie

• Like 1

Â