Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

Dyche is a strange one, always comes across well and speaks sensible and intelligent in podcasts and interviews but he never had a team play like that

Dont really want him but better than Rodgers for me

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Why?

A rich, ambitious ownership group prepared to spend money on players, infrastructure and wages - a good support base in the biggest league in the world with a really low starting position and the bones of a decent squad that means it's almost difficult not to show some sort of progress. A job where in four years you can be seen as a manager that developed a club, with a new stand and growth that all gets associated with you and your professional brand - with finishing 7th at any point in a season where you're in place being considered as a success - any manager putting Villa back into any European football will be both feted and loved and there is finance and structure in place to achieve that. Not only that but you have a board that have shown they'll back you in public and a club that's stable and professional in the way it deals with managers.

This is a fantastic job.

I think the reason the club need a statement appointment is as much commercial as sporting. The appointment of Gerrard was a risk with a pretty clear reward - if he'd have won more games we'd be seen as an ambitious club with a high profile superstar manager heading in the right direction and with the possibility of European football - with a successful Gerrard, our shirt sponsorship would be worth £30m a season. Appointing for example, Dyche (as good a coach as he is) would send the message that Villa are team that are happy to stick around, that will float just above the relegation battle and make up the numbers - no brand wants to be associated with that, and it's definitely not what the owners came for - I think they'll be looking for a signing that re-iterates the message that we're a proposition worth backing - that there's value in Villa and that we're ambitious and progressive.

I agree with what you say but our ambitions will be restricted by FFP.

I can't help but think that so much damage has been done by their predecessor.

We have had relatively easy fixtures so far this season, the second part after the WC is really tough I think whoever is coming in will find it difficult to turn it around.

I'm not convinced the players we have are all that, some of them should be ashamed of their levels of performance this season. You can't win football matches if you don't score goals we look abysmal in that regard. 

We reportedly have a top 8 wage bill and have signed a lot of older players with hardly any resale value, this isn't sustainable and will come back to bite us.

I can't help but think the next person we bring in won't be a big name, they will be someone to steady the ship and a firefighter who can get a tune out of the players we already have.

Purslow recently mentioned that our future transfer policy will be a 1 in 1 out in terms of quality. I think any elite manager worth their salt would quickly identify that the majority of the players we have are poor and would want a complete rebuild instead.

Edited by AshVilla

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Got Leicester higher than any of our last managers have in the last 30 years.

Wasn't he appointed when Leicester were higher than any of our Managers have been in the last 30 years? Managed them for half a season and achieved an upgrade (5th) on their previous 9th place finish, and has subsequently never improved on a previous year's output.   

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Dyche is a strange one, always comes across well and speaks sensible and intelligent in podcasts and interviews but he never had a team play like that

Devils advocate here... has Dyche ever had the funds or been given a team of players capable of more than what he's served up?

Maybe with higher standard of player he can do more? Not sure I'd want to take that gamble even if I thought it was possible anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He just plays to a teams strengths. Championship Dyche Burnley were very different to Premier League Dyche Burnley. They had Andre Gray tearing it up with pace and then switched up to a more cross-oriented style of play to survive. Ultimately, that wasn’t enough.

And yeah, he comes across really well in podcasts et al. Would love to see him get a job like ours… but not ours :D 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Purslow recently mentioned that our future transfer policy will be a 1 in 1 out in terms of quality. I think any elite manager worth their salt would quickly identify that the majority of the players we have are poor and would want a complete rebuild instead.

Just on this, there's nothing in 1 in 1 out that means you can't have a complete rebuild - what 1 in 1 out says it that the squad numbers are sufficient, so improving should be on quality, not just adding more bodies.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I admit whilst I knew deep down Pochettino would never come, I am actually sad it's not happening.

If I'm honest, I'm not overly bothered.

As I've said, I rate him highly, but I don't subscribe to him being the next Pep Guardiola.

I think there are several Managers who could possibly be both a good and ambitious fit.

We don't necessarily want to beg or push the boat out too far for anyone either, sets a bad presence.

There needs to be a mutual respect and valuing.

No one who feels they are doing us a favour.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Dyche seems the logical, sensible, gettable option considering he is available and very experienced in where we find ourselves.

All he or any manager needs to do is get us playing to our potential. Nothing too drastic.

Massively underrated and I’d personally be happy with it.

I’d certainly take him over some foreign coach who has never managed in England before. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, duke313 said:

How would Dyche ball even work with our players?  

I'm not sayi g we get Dyche as manager, but look at the budget he had at Burnley, he played a style to suit the players they could afford, how he kept them up so long deserves some credit. 

With better players, which we have and proper backing could he show a different style. 

I don't feel he's a Bruce/Allerdyce manager that only has 1 way to play, as regardless of squad them 2 only had 1cway of playing, Dyche has never had the chance to show if he is a different manager. 

Now I'm not saying we get him in just think it's unfair to say he's a rubbish manager. 

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Just on this, there's nothing in 1 in 1 out that means you can't have a complete rebuild - what 1 in 1 out says it that the squad numbers are sufficient, so improving should be on quality, not just adding more bodies.

Yeah, the consensus on this board seems to be we have a top-10 worthy squad underperforming under Gerrard. 

Just now, Genie said:

Dyche seems the logical, sensible, gettable option considering he is available and very experienced in where we find ourselves.

This is how people used to end up with Steve Bruce and Allardyce.

I think he could have some potential, but a part of me would die.

• Like 1