Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

13 hours ago, Sam3773 said:

Hindsight is always 20/20. For every Potter there are 20 Gerrard’s. 

We need to look forward, not back. I don’t know what that looks like, particularly with our one in one out transfer policy (will the new manager get a ‘war chest’?)

Depending on what that looks like, I’d imagine the likes of Poch would be less interested and we’re shopping again in the ‘up and comer’ or ‘old hat’ market. 

In the former I like Ruben Amorim but he may end up at Wolves. I also like Matthias Jaissle but is he ready? In the latter I can’t get past Brendan Rodgers - knows the league and would likely come over. But would Rodgers also look for that ‘war chest’ guarantee?

I look at some of the English leagues for exciting managers ready for the leap, and honestly I really like what Smith is doing at Norwich. We’ve been there though. It didn’t work. It was right to dismiss him and it’s right to not ‘get back with the ex’. 

For what it’s worth, my opinion probably doesn’t count for much. I was disappointed when we gave Gerrard the keys. It was a big gamble and if we were going for a gamble, I’d have preferred Terry, a coach we nurtured who knew the club have a crack. Of course Terry wasn’t my overall first choice (that was Rodgers), but in the gamble market I’d have preferred him to Steve. 

We have flip flopped from buying young talented players with resell value to the complete opposite under Gerrard. 

The club got no plan. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, TRO said:

I too, don't see an easy way out......No manager, with any Nous, will take on this squad.

We have a frontline who can't score, to save their lives, is enough to get any sought after manager to baulk at the prospect of joining us....and full backs, who can't defend.( the regulars).....a midfield, who can't create.

I think we are now seeing owners who are losing interest in the recruitment programme......Hence the shutters going up in the summer.

I think its a case of, do the best with what you have got, and we will revisit it at the seasons end

It's funny seeing you shift the blame entirely onto the players. Which do you think is more likely, that French internation Lucas Digne can't defend, or that the suicidal tactics that make him bomb forward maniacally hamper his ability to defend adequately?

Are Matty Cash, Tyrone Mings, Ezri Konsa and Emi Martinez who equaled a club record 15 clean sheets 2 seasons ago suddenly bad defenders, or is our system putting them under undue pressure? 

Occam's razor, give it a shot. It'll prevent you from contorting yourself into a pretzel trying to absolve blame from the manager.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We have flip flopped from buying young talented players with resell value to the complete opposite under Gerrard. 

The club got no plan. 

Completely agree. I won’t derail this thread too much, but it feels like we had a plan and a good project to scout and develop young players. Gerrard has come in and someone, likely Purslow, has decided to abandon that plan to give him some luxury (Coutinho, Carlos). 

I’d be expecting the club to return to that plan, as alluded to the other day, and look at coaches who are known to be good with young players, good at developing young players and giving them opportunities. 

Archer sat on the bench whilst Coutinho does step overs flies in the face of everything the club sold us (I’m aware they play in different positions. Point stands.)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

The club got no plan. 

It's for this reason I'd be happy if Purslow got the boot. He's gambled Villa's future on a celebrity sugar rush. I wish we'd given Smith more time. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

It's for this reason I'd be happy if Purslow got the boot. He's gambled Villa's future on a celebrity sugar rush. I wish we'd given Smith more time. 

He gambled on his hero. Its embarrassing for a professional organisation to tolerate this

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's funny seeing you shift the blame entirely onto the players. Which do you think is more likely, that French internation Lucas Digne can't defend, or that the suicidal tactics that make him bomb forward maniacally hamper his ability to defend adequately?

Are Matty Cash, Tyrone Mings, Ezri Konsa and Emi Martinez who equaled a club record 15 clean sheets 2 seasons ago suddenly bad defenders, or is our system putting them under undue pressure? 

Occam's razor, give it a shot. It'll prevent you from contorting yourself into a pretzel trying to absolve blame from the manager.

I haven't shifted the blame entirely on to the players.....I have said they play a huge part and not just the manager as you claim.....I see things in a game, that is hard to blame the ,manager....not all, but quite a few....you seem to read my posts black or white, when they are not.

I don't know how a system can be blamed for failing to cut out goals at the back post......but you have it your way.....players stop goals, not necessarily systems.

I don't have to resort to Scientific or Philosophical explanation, to identify if a full back can defend or not, 60 years of watching Villa and full backs serves me well.....FWIW I don't think Trent Arnold can either, but attacking prowess again clouds that issue.

Digne and Cash are essentially attacking full backs, and the point you make is a valid one, the system may be at fault too.....but whatever it is, we have had trouble defending, until recently, where we have been much better with Young.

I don't see anything wrong with asymmetrical, full backs , one raiding, one sitting.....but 2 raiding simultaneously leaves us vulnerable.

I think you read me wrong on the manager, just like the scenario with Bruce......where everything was his fault too......until a local boy arrived and could do no wrong......I am not saying Gerrard does everything right ( who does) but you seem to blame him for everything.

My point is, The narrative is flawed, and any outside manager so to speak, now has an uphill battle......maybe Potter from Solihull was ideal.

If you LOOKED for a few more positives amongst the agreed negatives.....you might find the whole thing a bit more palatable.

If you continue with the same old drab narrative, you will drive yourself away from the club and it won't make any difference, only to your enjoyment....I don't experience this mood, towards the manager, in the ground on match day, and until it does and the results avoid losses, he is going nowhere.

2 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Cooper signs a new contract at Forest! Happy for him and them. Hopefully now they can beat us on Monday and end the Gerrard Misery! 
Hope they beat us 4-0

Unless we beat Forest and Gerrard gets a contract extension and pay rise.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Cooper signs a new contract at Forest! Happy for him and them. Hopefully now they can beat us on Monday and end the Gerrard Misery! 
Hope they beat us 4-0

There must be more interesting places to troll it up on than a villa fan forum?

26 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Hope they beat us 4-0

Off you pop and support Forest then,

3 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Off you pop and support Gerrards management then

I support Aston Villa Football Club and want them to win every game. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, romavillan said:

There must be more interesting places to troll it up on than a villa fan forum?

21 minutes ago, jim said:

Off you pop and support Forest then,

Take it all with a pinch of salt and you’ll enjoy it

5 minutes ago, jim said:

Fair enough, but we can't win every game can we? So wouldn't you rather lose one, then get a manager in who wins more regularly? Therefore equalling more wins overall?

9 minutes ago, jim said:

Why are you in the next manager of Aston Villa thread then 🤣 where we all want Gerrard to get the sack.

So you want Villa to win every game yet you want Gerrard out?  How does that work. 

10 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Yeah, wanting us to lose at this stage isn't that extreme is it? If it meant Gerrard was to go, one game of misery, rather than many more months of draining, dire football.

No brainer.

Yeah I want Villa to lose the game on Monday so it gives us a better season. Longer we stick with Gerrard the worser finish we have. 
Lose to Forrest on Monday, Gerrard goes on Tuesday. We could be fighting for Europe with the new manager

• Haha 2