Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

I think Purslow confirming we have a sell to buy policy now all but confirms expectations may have been lowered slightly.

Also tells Gerrard nice and early that he isn't get any more money to spunk up the wall. Use what you have and if you can't.. we'll give someone else the money

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gaz90 said:

I'm someone that wants Gerrard out but doesn't wish anything but Villa to win when we play. I want Gerrard out because of his performance to date and I don't see that turning around. I also want Aston Villa to keep winning and if miraculously that does happen with Gerrard still at the helm, then I'm all for it - I just want the best for Villa. You can criticise the manager while still wanting to win every game, but performances and results will drive Gerrard out at some point without the fans wishing the worst for the team in each upcoming match.

Yeah, I mean it's simple, we can't help wanting Villa to play well and do well. It's when they don't that people start asking questions. Villa doing well means the manager doing well. So we want both those things. Whatever reservations we might have on the appointment of any manager, we only want the team to do well with them in charge. Eventually though, people reach a conclusion (each in our own time). That opinion can change if there are signs or evidence of improvement (or if things go in the opposite direction for someone who was doing well). Gerrard started off in the first bunch of games looking like a solid, or promising appointment, but since then....

In terms of what the club's stated aims are, the next manager clearly doesn't need to be a relative rookie. They need to be a proven good manager at the top level. Someone who can take the job and bring about much more clarity, consistency and focus on achieving performances and results.

The other thing, I think is how much different Premier League football is now, compared to both a few years ago, and as relevantly the type of football played in Scotland or the EFL is. And that jump in level, tactical flexibility and adaptability, in setting teams up and all the rest is something Gerrard is struggling with massively. So the next bloke needs to be someone who has that astuteness and experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think most, if not all of us want to win all of our games. But a poor performance/result can have a silver lining in that it may lead to a change of manager. However the caveat is, that while the likes of Poch may be attracted to a “project” they won’t want that project to be a relegation battle. So we don’t want a weekly disaster, especially not this week. 

29 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think most, if not all of us want to win all of our games. But a poor performance/result can have a silver lining in that it may lead to a change of manager. However the caveat is, that while the likes of Poch may be attracted to a “project” they won’t want that project to be a relegation battle. So we don’t want a weekly disaster, especially not this week. 

This is a difficult one, on one side I want Villa to win the next match, on the other side I want Villa to have long term success. The long term success is not possible with Gerrard as manager, we will at best limp along with a win here and there, but overall be on about 1 point per match.

I think we can do better with a good manager, but the club is showing no sign of getting rid of Gerrard. I can understand why many now want us to crash and burn until Gerrard is gone, because it maybe the only way to force the hand of those in charge to finally sack Gerrard.

Forrest have just given Cooper a new contract, just imaging if Villa do the same.

If this drags on much longer, not only would we scare away managers to take over, but just think of our key players that would want to leave, or not to mention scaring away any new potential signings.

Read somewhere online ( maybe on here)  a good analogy of (sic) we’ve given the keys to a Bugatti to a novice kid instead of elite & experienced driver, with a high probability they will crash and burn…

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Read somewhere online ( maybe on here)  a good analogy of (sic) we’ve given the keys to a Bugatti to a novice kid instead of elite & experienced driver, with a high probability they will crash and burn…

Yep. He's already been rinsed for new hubcaps and overpriced fluffy dice as well.

Just need to hope he doesn't crash it off a bridge before we can remove him from behind the wheel.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I wouldn't hate the appointment of Beale or Critchley.

Wouldn't be first choice by a long way, but I think they know what they're doing.

I think anybody connected to Gerrards reign of terror should be sacked immediately and banned from club activities forever

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So he has claimed that we have been talking to Poch but have made no contact with Frank (god know what “observing for now” means) yet Frank is more likely than Poch ATM. 

I love these plums 🤣

17 minutes ago, av1 said:

So he has claimed that we have been talking to Poch but have made no contact with Frank (god know what “observing for now” means) yet Frank is more likely than Poch ATM. 

I love these plums 🤣

It's absolute BS, NSWE are invested in Project Gerrard.

I doubt they have even thought of replacing him...

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Sad 1

Xabi Alonso off to a 4-0 winning start. Another unattached manager we've missed out on...

Interested to see who Leicester and Southampton go for. Two clubs who cast the net wide and usually recruit well.

Heard a good interview with the Brighton CEO other day.

Talked about how De Zerbi is very much the same type of manager as Potter. They'll be playing very similar football because they have a squad built to do it.

What a shame to see these smaller clubs being run so well. We don't need that along with the super league mob and Newcastle being uncatchable.

You couldn't recruit a manager to try and continue whatever it is Gerrard has tried. They don't exist. We have no style. No plan. Suppose Steve Bruce could be one option.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Heard a good interview with the Brighton CEO other day.

Talked about how De Zerbi is very much the same type of manager as Potter. They'll be playing very similar football because they have a squad built to do it.

What a shame to see these smaller clubs being run so well. We don't need that along with the super league mob and Newcastle being uncatchable.

You couldn't recruit a manager to try and continue whatever it is Gerrard has tried. They don't exist. We have no style. No plan. Suppose Steve Bruce could be one option.

It was apparently the plan to build the club in such a fashion that the actual manager was readily changeable, without other wholesale changes being necessary. Pretty much how the Brighton CEO described. All that seemed to go out of the window when Purslow got over excited and handed the keys to the castle to his old Scouse bestie. 

Replacing the current manager only solves part of the problem. The CEO hasn’t achieved anything like constant improvement either. Who should be changed first is the question?

8 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It's absolute BS, NSWE are invested in Project Gerrard.

I doubt they have even thought of replacing him...

I agree it’s BS but to believe NSWE haven’t though about replacing him I suggest is wide of the mark.  They aren’t blind to the situation, at the very least they’ve had a discussion between them about trigger points, options and a plan b.  

They maybe heavily invested in Project Gerrard but they will have likely at the minimum discussed it at board level or just between the owners and at a maximum put some feelers out to other managers.

They aren’t going to sit on their hands blindly and watch it play out feebly.  Even if they believe he will turn it around they would appreciate reality and will want to be prepared in case they do pull the trigger.

You and I may disagree on where they are in their thoughts on Gerrard but we know they aren’t stupid not to have at least discussed it.

Edited by nick76