Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Chelsea

limpid

Match Polls  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/10/22 at 22:59

13 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I am a big fan of Potter like most on here but I don't think the substitutions he made were the game changer. It was conceding such a poor second goal that killed us. The half time subs he made were pretty obvious given both Cucurella and Havertz were playing poorly. We were well in the game at 1-0. Our subs obviously didn't improve us though. 

If only we had a manager that would substitute players that are playing poorly.

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Potter killed us with his subs and as always, Gerrard was all out of ideas.

To be fair, you're right about what Potter did, if you're referring to the half-time subs. Their defence was an absolute shambles in that first half, with Cucurella playing left-sided centre back. Once they made that change and put a proper centre back there they looked a lot better equipped to deal with our forwards. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

To be fair, you're right about what Potter did, if you're referring to the half-time subs. Their defence was an absolute shambles in that first half, with Cucurella playing left-sided centre back. Once they made that change and put a proper centre back there they looked a lot better equipped to deal with our forwards. 

When Villa make bad signings, it’s nice to think about Chelsea paying £62m for Cucurella because he’s so versatile and can play CB.

I'm sure it's been covered in here already, but, what the hell was Emi doing on that free-kick ffs???  Simple rule as a goalkeeper is you set up your wall to cover one side, trust it, then make certain you've got the other side of the goal covered.  Instead he cheats across behind the wall and Mount puts it into the space he'd just been standing in.  If he'd stayed put it would have been a routine save.  Abysmal piece of goalkeeping.  I sincerely hope Neil Cutler replays that to him 100 times....

• Like 1

Didnt watch the game (not worth getting up before dawn to see this lot atm), but what i gather from match reports and comments is we were doing well while Chelsea were playing attackers as defenders and then stopped doing well when they played defenders as defenders.

Fair assessment or was there more to it?

35 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Nice of MotD to not show Chilwell's foul, let alone discuss whether it should have been a red and the impact that might have had on the game.

Dear BBC.....

And of Keown to acknowledge we're missing Doucore in midfield,hence Dougie playing.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Missed the game, but were we really expecting to beat Chelsea - we’re fighting against relegation.

A Chelsea missing Kante & Reece James are definitely there to be got at and that was evident in the way they played. Chelsea were pedestrian at best. Points were 100% there for us today but again we fail to capitalise. 4-3-3 suits us and with a few tweaks in midfield we’d be a very decent side but Gerrard seems completely blind to that fact.

If we dont get a similar attacking display on Thursday then the fans will leave Purslow with no choice but to do what he obviously is so reluctant to do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Nice of MotD to not show Chilwell's foul, let alone discuss whether it should have been a red and the impact that might have had on the game.

Dear BBC.....

Studs up and full speed into the ankle/shin.  If the ref didn't see it, it was clear as day for the idiot Atwell who was on VAR duty..... 

4 hours ago, Icarium said:

Didnt watch the game (not worth getting up before dawn to see this lot atm), but what i gather from match reports and comments is we were doing well while Chelsea were playing attackers as defenders and then stopped doing well when they played defenders as defenders.

Fair assessment or was there more to it?

They played Sterling as a right wing-back (not for the first time since they've been on their unbeaten run), with a back-three of Silva, Challobah, and Cucurella with Chilwell as left wing-back, so no not really a fair assessment.  Many of our better chances started down the side where Chelsea were playing two specialized left-sided defenders.  Chilwell couldn't cope with Ramsey, hence why he tried to break his leg.  Regardless of the outcome we were by far the better side until the second goal. Their goalkeeper made two world-class saves and two other very good saves, as well us rattling the post and clipping the bar in that period.  After the second goal the wind came out of our sails, thanks in no small part to abysmal positioning by Emi.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Really not sure what to say after yesterday. Plucky defeats against the ESL 6 are all well and good, but when we aren't picking up wins against the poorer sides in the division either then there's extra pressure on these games to avoid defeat. It'd be much easier to take the positives out of the first half if we'd beaten Leeds and Forest - but we didn't, so we're sat here with our worst ever premier league start (barring the year we actually did go down). 

I think the situation is irreparable now for Gerrard, the only reason he's not been sacked is because it is such a hectic week with 3 games in 7 days, I wonder if the board think a sacking would be more harm than good with the disruption. I fully expect us to get bullied by Mitrovic and Palhinha at Fulham, and then give Ivan Toney the freedom of Villa Park on Sunday too. 

• Like 1

Luckily and unluckily i did not see the game as i was at Old Trafford to watch the united game with a relative. Honestly i was refreshing my screen for our match the whole time i was there rather than watch two sides i hate passionately,  the geordies were swearing at me as i was walking out the united section and i was thinking if only you knew i hate these lot as much as i hate you 😂.

Anyway as i didn't see the game who was our best performer and did we implement any decent tactics for a change. Not basing this on the chelsea game but Gerrard should no longer be at this club and i think it is quite naive and ignorant from those in charge to keep him in the job, if we are aiming for top 7 positions then this is not the way we should be operating at a club. 

Edited by RicRic

15 minutes ago, BOF said:

Anyone have a source for the attendance at yesterday's game? Seems the websites don't want to provide it anymore.

We must not have provided it for some reason - all of yesterday's PL games have the attendance on the Beeb (for some reason they put it under the lineup tab), except for ours, and it's the same on the Sky Sports site.

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

We didn't play a good game. We played a good half then Potter tactically adjusted and Gerrard failed to react to the changes. 

I don't think this is fair to be honest.  Chelsea just shoved on an extra defender whilst we were already playing a front three.  There wasn't really "a move" that would've countered that.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I don't think this is fair to be honest.  Chelsea just shoved on an extra defender whilst we were already playing a front three.  There wasn't really "a move" that would've countered that.

There wasn't even a change in shape from Chelsea, just having more competent defenders in the back 3 and wing back positions. Given this and the first half performance there was nothing for us to do. And we were still I thought the better team until the second goal went in.

1 minute ago, tomsky_11 said:

There wasn't even a change in shape from Chelsea, just having more competent defenders in the back 3 and wing back positions. Given this and the first half performance there was nothing for us to do. And we were still I thought the better team until the second goal went in.

I don't think that's right - they brought off an attacking player for Coulibaly (can't remember who) to stop the fact we were cutting through them at will.

And yeah, we were still the better team.  It was a good performance.  We're just obviously low enough on confidence that the second goal killed us.

Â