Midweek Football October 11/13

Villaphan04

I kinda think the ref got that right. If Tomori wasn't holding Mount then he would have got a much better shot away and likely scored. 

I mean, last I heard you're not allowed to grab people on the shoulder and pull them back, right?

Edited by PieFacE

7 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

3 weeks into the Potter era and its looking like they are already in tune with the manager . Their movement is just fantastic. Thats what good coaching does 

I remember Tuchel having a similar immediate impact.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Since I didn't see any thread on this. Craziness in the City Copenhagen game with a red card, missed PK, and a disallowed goal. And in the other CL game, Juventus is losing 2-0 to Maccabi Haifa. 

When I started a thread like this, every **** grizzled because I didn't type a fixture list.

Looks like you got off easy!

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I kinda think the ref got that right. If Tomori wasn't holding Mount then he would have got a much better shot away and likely scored. 

I mean, last I heard you're not allowed to grab people on the shoulder and pull them back, right?

Yes its a penalty but the double jeopardy rule means its only a yellow card as its not violent conduct. If was outside the box its a red

Edited by Zatman

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Yes its a penalty but the double jeopardy rule means its only a yellow card as its not violent conduct. If was outside the box its a red

My understanding of the double jeopardy part was it can’t be a red if you’re trying to tackle your opponent. Tomori isn’t trying to tackle Mount - he’s just pulling him back, so a red is the correct decision.

Weird incident to be honest because it’s a really soft penalty, but Tomori definitely makes Mount off balance… so a foul and red is right, but seems way too harsh. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Yeah double jeopardy only counts if an attempt is made for the ball

Arguing against double jeopardy has always seemed odd to me in this case.  If you just pull someone back, and that's absolutely what happened last night, and the worst that can happen is they get a penalty then you're basically incentivising people just to foul strikers who go past them.   It's like Guardiola's tactical fouls in the middle of the pitch, take one for the team and it will save you conceding several goals over the course of the season.  Tomori fouled Mount. It doesn't matter that it wasn't a knee high sliding tackle, he impeded him to prevent a goal scoring opportunity and that's a cynical foul which needs to be punished.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Arguing against double jeopardy has always seemed odd to me in this case.  If you just pull someone back, and that's absolutely what happened last night, and the worst that can happen is they get a penalty then you're basically incentivising people just to foul strikers who go past them.   It's like Guardiola's tactical fouls in the middle of the pitch, take one for the team and it will save you conceding several goals over the course of the season.  Tomori fouled Mount. It doesn't matter that it wasn't a knee high sliding tackle, he impeded him to prevent a goal scoring opportunity and that's a cynical foul which needs to be punished.  

Yeah I'd like to see tactical fouls punished more. Or at the very least, some actual guidelines like 3 niggly fouls  = yellow card to help prevent the tactical fouling. 

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Club Brugge currently 0-0 at HT away at Ath Madrid.

They’ve won their other 3 games in the group (Porto (A), Leverkusen (H) and Ath Madrid (H)) without conceding a goal. Amazing stuff. 

yet are conceding over a goal a game on average in the Belgian league :D 

the true strongest league in the world

Â