Pre match thread

bielesibub

In all fairness, I probably wonder if our performance at Forest was not great, but the main thing is we got a point and not lost.

Chelsea is a different scenario, We're at home, hopefully a lively crowd and maybe that could get us going. Is it Gerrard's tactics he's getting wrong? The players have had a fall out of the pitch? Who knows... We haven't been a great watch at all but hopefully as the season progresses, we maybe could start picking up a bit.

As for the Chelsea game, they've started to pick up which isn't great news for us since they appointed Graham Potter. I think we might put on a (hopefully good) performance on Sunday and in my hope not a very bad one. Personally for me, I'd drop Coutinho and Watkins, Watkins can't seem to find the net and Coutinho is disappointing too with his passing and play in general. I think Ings needs more game time. Cameron Archer I don't think is Premier League ready just yet, he came on against Forest and did ok. I am thinking more if he played against Man City or Arsenal etc he probably won't get a kick.

I think this might be a scrappy one so I'm going 1-1. UTV.

2 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Chelsea (h)  - defeat

Fulham (h) - draw

Brentford (a) - draw

Newcastle (a) - defeat

Man utd (h) - defeat

Brighton (a) - defeat

Our next 6 games and on current form, those are the results i would expect.

That takes us to the world cup break.

The only reason he hasnt been sacked yet imo is because our no1 target, whoeber that is, has said he'll only take the job at that point. Presumably because they want time to work with the squad.

We are in serious trouble

Not sure how we are going to get a draw against Fulham and Brentford, based on the last two games. Remember both teams have scored twice the number of goals compared to us. Yes, we manage to get a draw against ManC, but I think we used all our luck in that game,  I have said it before, it is likely we start January with 9 points, that is seriously trouble.

Potter have made Chelsea playing some really good football, I really fear for us on Sunday. It will be damage limitation, losing by 1 or 2 should be a good result. (Unless SG is sacked)

Really dreading this watching them against Milan. How fast they moved the ball and how wide they played. McGinn - though he's not deserving of the captaincy - will get absolutely piled on trying to cover that right hand side of the midfield with Cash.

40 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Not sure how we are going to get a draw against Fulham and Brentford, based on the last two games. Remember both teams have scored twice the number of goals compared to us. Yes, we manage to get a draw against ManC, but I think we used all our luck in that game,  I have said it before, it is likely we start January with 9 points, that is seriously trouble.

Potter have made Chelsea playing some really good football, I really fear for us on Sunday. It will be damage limitation, losing by 1 or 2 should be a good result. (Unless SG is sacked)

I actually agree with you. Was trying my best to be optimistic!

6 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The trend is Villa perform better against the top teams, could be the same here. It's the midtable teams and the ones at the bottom we have the most problems with. 

I dont think we've beaten a top six team for over a year.

I think its just premier league teams we struggle against.

6 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The trend is Villa perform better against the top teams, could be the same here. It's the midtable teams and the ones at the bottom we have the most problems with. 

Performance is better, because we are pressed back and cannot implement any of Gerrard’s ideas, We nearly always lose against the top teams, it just that we don’t look so inept in the process.

I think we will see: (Dependant on the fitness of Digne / Bailey)

Martinez 

Cash       Konsa      Mings       Young

Luiz     Dendoncker   McGinn

Buendia     Watkins      Ramsey

Wouldn't be my team, but I don't think it matters which eleven we put out, I can't see anything other than a Chelsea victory though I don't expect us to get battered.

All a bit meh at the moment but UTV!

5 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Maybe not beat them but I believe we’ll perform better against Chelsea and maybe get a point, because that’s what we do these days. Defending against the top clubs is perfect for Gerrard’s Villa. Some will cheer afterwards.

Then we’ll lose to Fulham, Brentford, Newcastle,

I assume that given the fan sentiment at this point is so against him, he'll lose his job when we drop into the bottom 3. A draw against Chelsea would lead to us being in the bottom 3 sooner than 3 further losses. 

21 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I think we will see: (Dependant on the fitness of Digne / Bailey)

Martinez 

Cash       Konsa      Mings       Young

Luiz     Dendoncker   McGinn

Buendia     Watkins      Ramsey

Wouldn't be my team, but I don't think it matters which eleven we put out, I can't see anything other than a Chelsea victory though I don't expect us to get battered.

All a bit meh at the moment but UTV!

Exact team I would expect to see. Bailey in for Buendia if fit.

We'll look "better" but that's probably because we won't have the ball for the majority of the time. Will have all the appearance of the Titanic right after it has hit the iceberg. Everyone just deciding to sit while the ship slowly sinks before it finally hits the tipping point.

• Like 1