Pre match thread

bielesibub

29 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Maybe not beat them but I believe we’ll perform better against Chelsea and maybe get a point, because that’s what we do these days. Defending against the top clubs is perfect for Gerrard’s Villa. Some will cheer afterwards.

Then we’ll lose to Fulham, Brentford, Newcastle,

Chelsea will beat us by at least 2 clear goals, they have improved since Potter took them over. 

Purslow has to explain how he picked Gerrard and who else was in the frame. We can't allow him to pick another manager after such a poor decision with Gerrard who was a massive gamble right at a time we didn't need to, we now have less to offer a new manager. 

Edited by tinker

18 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Chelsea (h)  - defeat

Fulham (h) - draw

Brentford (a) - draw

Newcastle (a) - defeat

Man utd (h) - defeat

Brighton (a) - defeat

Our next 6 games and on current form, those are the results i would expect.

That takes us to the world cup break.

The only reason he hasnt been sacked yet imo is because our no1 target, whoeber that is, has said he'll only take the job at that point. Presumably because they want time to work with the squad.

We are in serious trouble

I agree with all that above,except for Fulham.IMHO that will be a 0-1 win to Fulham 

We're more suited to playing against the better teams, so ironically this probably isn't the foregone conclusion that it might be on paper. I still can't see us getting anything from it though. A narrow defeat I think, and Gerrard to continue as manager.

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Is this game on TV?  Will be great to see Carrager's reaction when Slippy is sacked live on air.

Liverpool icon Carragher discusses that leg touch with Arsenal legend Henry  | Football | Sport | Express.co.uk

It's on Sky Sports.

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

This!

I think the game against Chelsea will make even Southgate question the system, with the defensive set up we will probably play. 

I remember the Leeds fans singing Wilko for England at the 98 League Cup Final. Stevie for England!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mic09 said:

To be fair a defensive set up is what is needed in that game. The problem is creating something in their half, which I think is unlikely to see.

Really? Under Gerrard I guess yeah, but our team should be good enough to give Chelsea a good game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Really? Under Gerrard I guess yeah, but our team should be good enough to give Chelsea a good game.

That's where I am too, can't be daft but at the same time at home you'd want us to go at Chelsea and make a game of it, they're not man City, we shouldn't play scared football vs them

Only once since taking over at Villa has Gerrard not used 433 (or its 4312/4321 derivatives) and that was the 4141 employed against Norwich in April. A 2-0 win. Unfortunately it doesn't exactly give us a smoking gun given how shit Norwich were at the time. Still, I thought it was interesting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Get those vocal chords lubricated, ladies and gentlemen.

There is no point in saying anything. Unless the owners are blind, our players on the pitch will show them why a change is needed. 

4 hours ago, BOF said:

Get those vocal chords lubricated, ladies and gentlemen.

I know people want change , but I think the owners would prefer to see the fans getting behind the team rather than getting on the players and managers back . 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

There is no point in saying anything. Unless the owners are blind, our players on the pitch will show them why a change is needed. 

Nah if the fanbase are massively against a manager it helps to grease the wheels. They need to hear it.

16 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I know people want change , but I think the owners would prefer to see the fans getting behind the team rather than getting on the players and managers back . 

The owners probably would love a happy fanbase, but they don't have one.

Eh - if the owner are in attendance, Stevie will really shut down shop to get a point.

Keep it tight - 10 men behind the ball and leave Watkins up top. Punt and run the channels. Get a corner - try to take advantage of Kepa's flapping.

Pragmatism!

39 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

And that's exactly the point, the point would be to upset the owners into action.