Great sportsmen who don’t look like athletes

KentVillan

6 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Ricky Hatton, in between fights it was difficult to believe he could climb a flight of stairs let alone be a professional boxer challenging for world titles

Seen a bit of paddy the baddie in between fight stuff on YouTube, it's basically a fast food tour of American cities followed by podcasts where they ask him about fast food and he hisses lad at them a lot

He actually seems a bit like how I'd class myself in that eating is a hobby

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I’m excluding sports like golf,

1 hour ago, sne said:

Easy one I guess. Golf must have countless and I'm not sure Daly is considered great anymore but he deserves a mention. As does Laura Davis 

🤦‍♂️

• Haha 2

I am in Vegas at the moment and the obsession with sport over here has shown me that to be a baseball player, you don't really need to look after yourself. Not talking Phil The Power Taylor, but definitely a few chunky boys. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am in Vegas at the moment and the obsession with sport over here has shown me that to be a baseball player, you don't really need to look after yourself. Not talking Phil The Power Taylor, but definitely a few chunky boys. 

It’s mad actually because a lot of those fat hitters would clearly benefit from being able to sprint quicker between bases. Cricket used to be like this, but now the pros are expected to be reasonably fit. Strange how baseball just doesn’t seem to care.

7 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Neville Southall. Excellent chubbyness

great shout. I miss the glory days of the fat goalie who couldn’t trap a bag of cement but had cat like reflexes

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, there are a few tubby cricket players. 

Until the advent of T20 and stuff there were loads, like you say. Inzi, Gatt, Shane Warne etc. Even recently one or two perhaps, if you stretch the definition of “great”. Patel at Notts, Herath, Dom Sibley and Ollie Robinson (both now slimmer and fitter to be fair). And who was the England bowler who went to Australia a couple of decades ago and was nowhere near fit - Jimmy Ormond - who replied to Mark Waugh’s sledge about being fat with “at least I can say I’m the best player in my family”. Which reminds me of another sledging classic. Shane Warne, who completely had a dominance over Daryll Cullinan to the extent that Cullinan took a break from the game. When he got back into the SA side and next faced Warne:

SW: “I’ve been waiting two years for another chance at you.”

Cullinan: “Looks like you spent it eating.”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Any cricket player. 

1880 - 2000

Notable ones are Boon, Gatting, latter day Botham and Inzamam-ul-Haq

And Ranatunga, victim of the infamous Ian Healey sledge, “you don’t get a runner for being an unfit, fat word removed”

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

Any cricket player. 

1880 - 2000

I know said in jest, but there were plenty of great cricketers who were also great athletes and looked it. Would you tell Viv Richards or Allan Donald what you wrote 😜? I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t even say it to Merv Hughes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I always thought there was a belief that they aren't going to run between the bases, they're going to use their weight and size to smash that ball in to the stands, all or nothing

Â