January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, tinker said:

I can't see UE would get rid of Ings without a replacement being lined up, didn't he state that when asked about Duran?I

IMO Ings should have been sold once we had a replacement, as it is we appear to be recalling Bert to fill in for Ings after our target player slipped through the net, disappointing way to run things and it doesn't look good for Lange, is he bothered, going in the summer ?  

You maybe right but at the end of the day ings is now a west ham player so we move on. UE knows what he is doing so i will trust him with duran.

12 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Clearly we haven't got our targets. 

What happens if we don't get our targets in the summer too? 🙃

I think quite a lot of clubs will want our targets in the summer and they may be able to offer european football.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

So are we just going to dine out, on what our new manager, has managed to muster, and not support him?

If he comes out and says, January all went to plan and I am happy, with proceedings, you won't hear a murmur, from me.

We've spent close to £30 million on 2 players and shipped out a load of deadwood. 

Do you not think Unai is here for the long term? He's been brought in to be part of a new project. That doesn't need to be solved in his first ever transfer window. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think there is much doubt about the clearing out.....its the coming in that seems strange.

but................Time will tell.

Indeed - we'll never know what the club has tried to get done,  or the reasons why they haven't.  We can only speculate - but the lack of obvious desperation  from the club is refreshing. It feels like the transfer committee are not prepared to waste the club's money.... (waits to be proven wrong by last gasp signing of Jack Harrison for £50m on 5 year contract)

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Nonsense. 

I've said it previously, look at the players we've signed and the manager we've got and we haven't finished in the top half of the prem for a decade. 

We shouldn't gamble on targets we aren't convinced by, or pay over the odds to chase European football for the made up scenario of it will be harder to get players in the summer. 

Difficult to know where to begin with this.  What on Earth has the last decade got to do with anything? Bugger all that's what.  We haven't had the combination of an elite manager, very wealthy owners,  a run of form that shows the players are capable of beating most teams, and a position three points off the top 6 with 18 games to go in the last decade have we?  Which, I dunno,  might explain it?  And might explian why things could be different this time?    As for the rest, gambling, paying over the odds etc. I haven't mentioned any of that.  And you have the nerve to call my post nonsense.    

• Like 1

Just now, El Segundo said:

Difficult to know where to begin with this.  What on Earth has the last decade got to do with anything? Bugger all that's what.  We haven't had the combination of an elite manager, very wealthy owners,  a run of form that shows the players are capable of beating most teams, and a position three points off the top 6 with 18 games to go in the last decade have we?  Which, I dunno,  might explain it?  And might explian why things could be different this time?    As for the rest, gambling, paying over the odds etc. I haven't mentioned any of that.  And you have the nerve to call my post nonsense.    

Thanks. You've clearly explained why we will still be able to attract players and why your original post was nonsense. 

We don’t have the revenue streams of the top 6 and nor do we have the money of The Najdiyah (Newcastle) hence we have to be careful how we spend.

When buying top 6 level or top 6 level potential players it’s the wages that will restrict the club going forwards.

We’ve obviously tried but have been rejected. However unlike before and having to settle for the leftovers we’re going to have to try again in the summer but this time there’ll probably be more in the way of contingencies available. 

Edited by Sulberto21

55 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Everyone attacking @foreveryoung but im not sure why, he rightly stated ings should have stayed until the summer correct… Duran not fit for the PL as it stands correct again, anyone with a footballing eye will see that will be the case for now at least.

Brighton,fulham and those teams people were using as an example to say we should be happy are the same teams above us (they shouldnt be) correct again and our expectations from some of us are different but many are not looking high enough for the club of this stature. Not sure what else was stated for the onslaught.

I would suggest that NOT attacking @foreveryoung on deadline day is denying him a well-deserved distinction. What would we do without a few resident contrarians? 

11 minutes ago, string28 said:

You maybe right but at the end of the day ings is now a west ham player so we move on. UE knows what he is doing so i will trust him with duran.

I hope Duran is ready to make an impression, it's a big gamble but it might pay off. 

• Like 2

Just now, useless said:

Watford turned down a bid from Everton for Sarr that would have been worth £36m if Everton have survived. I like Sarr, but that shows the big money it takes to bring players in in January.

lol 36 wow well that tells you why dont over spend.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

We've spent close to £30 million on 2 players and shipped out a load of deadwood. 

Do you not think Unai is here for the long term? He's been brought in to be part of a new project. That doesn't need to be solved in his first ever transfer window. 

Do you think he was brought in to ship out a load of dead wood?.....surely anyone can do that.

Thats 15mill on each player......after much team building, is that the value, of the team building, we expected?and not even addressing, his winger, midfielder and  experienced forward.

Duran, is for the future....Moreno is cover for an unconvincing full back......is that what you think, is team building for where we are, to continue, momentum?...He has given us an unbelievable start, why noy capitalise on it?

Managers are always viewed as Long term....but short, medium and long term goals have to be met.....if you don't get your short terms goals tied down, there is no others, as SG can testify.

I agree that his whole plan, would not be seen in his first window.....But I would have thought, his intent, would be.

I am not going to be drawn, in blaming the manager, as I have too much respect for him, but like us all, I just don't know the facts.

If he comes out and declares his approval for the window, that will be ok by me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

What if [insert any PL player name] breaks his leg tomorrow. The stupidest hypothetical game played on here every window people mad about transfers in. 

Watkins is number 1. We're not getting a marquee to play next to him that leaves the bench. Duran is backup. Other players in squad can play striker, the Emery system is more important. Loads of clubs have had success playing non strikers up front but no one wants to acknowledge that and undermine their argument

"What if's" are about planning for the future and things that can possibly and are likely to happen. The more contingencies you cover in your planning the better prepared you are and the more likely you are to have better outcomes. This is what seperates humans from animals, and successful people from others.

I actually stated about 2 pages before your post that Emery will have thought about a back up plan and will be looking for the midfielders to score more goals with the style of play he is trying to implement.

Still doesn't mean it's not a risk. 

Plus this isn't about wanting transfers, it was about not wanting this one, at least until we had another forward.

Just now, TRO said:

Do you think he was brought in to ship out a load of dead wood?.....surely anyone can do that.

Thats 15mill on each player......after much team building, is that the value, of the team building, we expected?and not even addressing, his winger, midfielder and  experienced forward.

Duran, is for the future....Moreno is cover for an unconvincing full back......is that what you think, is team building for where we are, to continue, momentum?...He has given us an unbelievable start, why noy capitalise on it?

Managers are always viewed as Long term....but short, medium and long term goals have to be met.....if you don't get your short terms goals tied down, there is no others, as SG can testify.

I agree that his whole plan, would not be seen in his first window.....But I would have thought, his intent, would be.

I am not going to be drawn, in blaming the manager, as I have too much respect for him, but like us all, I just don't know the facts.

If he comes out and declares his approval for the window, that will be ok by me.

For numerous reasons. As has been stated, to try and get our top targets in the summer if clubs have asked too much or are reluctant to sell now. 

Or in the case of Delefeou, if injuries have played a part. 

Do you really think it's because we've refused to sign players or we have no plan? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I would suggest that NOT attacking @foreveryoung on deadline day is denying him a well-deserved distinction. What would we do without a few resident contrarians? 

Could be worse, I could put my opinion across on the police having to finally give in and admit to 100% ****ing up at Hillborough.

• Like 1